Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Maurice Drew making big impressions

Drew leaves big impression
    Making plays comes natural for rookie, who scores against Miami.
    August 13, 2006
    By MICHAEL C. WRIGHT
    The Times-Union

MIAMI - Maurice Drew's jokes cracked up a few reporters Thursday at Jacksonville's training camp.

Yet after his preseason debut Saturday at Dolphin Stadium, maybe there was more truth than comedy to what he said.

"You just have to go out there, have fun and try to make plays to make guys go 'ooh' and 'ahh,' " Drew said.

Which is what he did Saturday in Jacksonville's 31-26 victory over the Miami Dolphins.

Let's start with the "ooh".

Drew became one of four Jaguars to score on plays of 50 yards or longer when he hauled in a David Garrard pass and outran the Miami defense for a 55-yard touchdown with 9:25 remaining.

Drew provided the "ahh" seconds later by lifting up his jersey in the end zone, revealing the trademark Superman "S" on a shirt underneath his shoulder pads. Referees penalized the Jaguars 15 yards.

Drafted in the second round out of UCLA, Drew carried the ball four times for 16 yards Saturday and returned a kickoff 20 yards.

His lone reception went for a TD. Yet Drew figures to get plenty of work as a return man, given his past performances. Drew scored four touchdowns on punt returns during his senior season at UCLA, where he averaged 23.2 yards per return.

As a Jaguar, prior to coming into Saturday's preseason game, Drew rushed for 39 yards and a touchdown on Aug. 4, during the club's scrimmage at Alltel Stadium. Drew said he looked forward to the preseason game on Saturday, so he could go into his "own little world."

"I don't have to worry about the coach [standing] behind me telling me to move right or move left," he said. "I'm just out there doing what I want to do."

Which is making "ooh" and "ahh" plays.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Maurice Drew making big impressions

This guy is special and is going to make a big impact this year for the Jaguars. Running the ball, catching passes out of the backfield, returning kickoffs, returning punts, he can do it all with a take your breath away flair. As a die-hard UCLA fan, I'll miss seeing number 21 out there doing his magic.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm a UCLA fan as well and would like to see Drew succeed in the NFL. As of today he's 4th on the Jags running back depth chart and 2nd for Kick off returner.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0
    I'm a UCLA fan as well and would like to see Drew succeed in the NFL. As of today he's 4th on the Jags running back depth chart and 2nd for Kick off returner.
    I think it's going to be hard for the Jags to keep him out of the mix.