RamWraith is offline Registered User

Merriman might be done??

Shawne Merriman-LB-Chargers Aug. 23 - 6:13 pm et

Shawne Merriman revealed Saturday that his career could be over. In addition to a torn PCL, Merriman has a torn LCL in his left knee.
    His knee requires extensive reconstructive surgery. Perhaps Merriman will chance it and play this year, but that would be foolish. His contract is up after the 2009 season and if he has the procedure, Merriman could try continuing his career afterwards. He'd risk more damage by playing on the knee in 2008. He needs to be removed from IDP draft boards.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Merriman might be done??

not something anyone would want to see..hope he plays again...dont sound very good atall tho!

Josh Guest

if he Plays this year, it's only because he is a selfish Player. If he is that badly hurt, don't you think the team would suffer too if he tried to play? he needs to sit out and recover and not rush back.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

if the question is to me Josh..i did say "hope he plays again"...not hope he plays this year!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Sadly this is what happens when you push your body past where it's meant to go while using steroids.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

That isn't good news for him, the Chargers, nor their fans!
    Autumn Winds!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He'll risk his career if he decides to play on it. It sounds as if he should be fine if he elects to have the reconstructive surgery and miss the season. Ultimately that's what I expect him to do, even though he wants to play in '08.

As Rotoworld points out, his contract is up after '09. He'd be better off getting the surgery and coming back strong in '09 to prove he's still worth an extension. If he plays in '08 and gets hurt, which he likely would I suspect with this injury, then it delays his surgery and could affect his ability to be successful in '09, thus also affecting his potential earnings.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Got it off of SI.com.

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Surgery will have to wait for Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, who decided Wednesday he'll play this season despite two torn ligaments in his left knee.

After spending several days seeking outside opinions, Merriman informed the team of his decision on Wednesday morning.

The star outside linebacker returned from Miami on Tuesday after seeking yet another opinion on his knee.

Merriman said last week he has two torn ligaments in his left knee and has been told by doctors that he could suffer a possible career-ending injury if he attempts to play without having surgery.

Merriman underwent surgery to repair cartilage damage five months ago, but has had persistent pain in the knee during training camp.

Merriman has made the Pro Bowl in each of his three seasons. He has 39 1/2 sacks in that span, more than any other NFL player.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

WOW! I don't get this one at all. Have the surgery, sit out a year, get after it in '09.

Him playing now is a serious roll of the dice for ending his career.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

After spending several days seeking outside opinions, Merriman informed the team of his decision on Wednesday morning.
    I guess he finally found someone who told him what he wanted to hear.

From an espn article:

"I'm going to play," Merriman texted the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I'll deal with it when it's time to get surgery."
    Strange quote from Merriman. I wonder what dictates "when it's time to get surgery" and if the Chargers will have anything to say about it.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

"When it's time to get surgery" is Merriman-speak for "After I completely destroy my career in Week 2, I will get surgery so I can walk again."

Moran. Just get the less invasive surgery and see if you can make it back for the playoffs.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The time is now. When all the doctors are saying you risk a career-ending injury, you don't keep looking for someone to tell you otherwise. Heck, if just one reputable doctor says you're putting your career on the line, I'd think you would have to weigh your options very carefully.