RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Merriman responds to Taylor's criticism

Merriman responds to Taylor's criticism

Shawne Merriman added some thoughts of his own when responding to criticism from fellow NFL Defensive Player of the Year candidate Jason Taylor, telling the North County Times, "I sent (Taylor) a 'Lights Out' hat and a 'Lights Out' T-shirt and a bag of popcorn so he can watch us in the playoffs."

On Wednesday, the Dolphins defensive end said that the Chargers linebacker should not be considered for the NFL's defensive award, saying, "you really shouldn't be able to fail a test like that and play in this league, to begin with. To make the Pro Bowl and all the other awards, I think you're walking a fine line of sending the wrong message.

"A performance-enhancing drug is, obviously, what it is," Taylor said. "You enhance your performance by doing that. You fail that test, I think it's not right, it's against the rules and ultimately I think it's sending the wrong message to the youth in America and the people who look at this game not only as entertainment but also to learn lessons from it."

Merriman quickly defended himself after Taylor's comments went public.

"He has a right to his opinion,'' Merriman added. "I've watched Jason Taylor for many years and he's a great pass rusher and a great player. So he's entitled to his opinion. As for my suspension, I went about all the right things I was supposed to do in sitting out the four games.''

Merriman leads the NFL with 16 sacks in 11 games for the AFC West champion Chargers (13-2). He has four forced fumbles and has one interception. With a win over the Cardinals on Sunday, the Chargers will clinch home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs.

On Adam Schein's Afternoon Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey also added his two cents on the Merriman issue.

"I hate to throw him further under the bus than he already is," Bailey said. "But fact is he used a performance enhancing drug, whether he knew it or not. I don't like anybody getting anything special when they get caught cheating. It kind of ruins the integrity of the game. Yes he did his time, but it is still the same season. It's kind of hard. I love the guy to death; the way he plays, his attitude. But he took a performance-enhancing drug. It's hard to get away from that."

Bailey, too, is a possibility for the top defensive player award. Bailey has a league-leading ten interceptions and 20 pass breakups.

Taylor, however, appears to be the concensus choice, recording 13 1/2 sacks, 10 forced fumbles and two interceptions both returned for touchdowns.

While Merriman has been a dominant force on arguably the NFL's best team, the Chargers went 4-0 during the linebacker's suspension.

"If I wasn't having the kind of season I'm having, this wouldn't even be a conversation," Merriman said Wednesday. "The NFL will always have the level of integrity. That's what makes the NFL. In my situation, everything happened in an appropriate way. I sat out my four games, my money was taken away from me, my four games were taken away from me, and I came back and played my rear off."

Do you agree with Jason Taylor that Merriman shouldn't be given a chance to win the defensive player of the year award because Merriman used steriods/performance-enhancing drugs?
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -01-02-2007 at 07:59 PM.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Merriman responds to Taylor's criticism

Yes, I agree. He's a stinking cheater.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I agree on the fact that he failed the test, but also because Jason Taylor's #'s are wonderful and he deserves the award. 10 forced fumbles, are U serious? Great season by a class act.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I don't think that Merriman should be eligible to win this year. He should suffer the consequences of his actions.

I really wish he was suspended for the Rams game. He played his games and he got away with it. It is disappointing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Merriman should not even be considered for this award. He cheated to get an edge and all of his stats are meaningless. He never even denied using drugs, just played the "it's not my fault" card like so many pathetic cheating athletes do. It makes me want to puke.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

It's a joke that Merriman could be considered for this award. All these steroid hawks need to turn some of their attention to football.

Yea Merriman shouldnt be allowed to go to the probowl and deserve a chance to win the Defensive player of the year, and Jason is going to win that award, 2 INT returned for TDs, thats really good for DE!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Yet another Poston client with issues. I'm impressed that he managed nearly 1.5 sacks per game this year, but we'll never know how many of those "performances" were "enhanced".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Milan is offline Registered User

As far as I'm concerned all of his sacks were due to his Doping.

He shouldn't even be considered for DPOY.

On one of the ESPN.com Polls, It asked

Should Shawn Merriman be eligible to win the Defensive Player of the Year award? And 76% of people voted No.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

No way! She's a cheater, simple as that, and me living near miami all I hear is nonstop jason taylor, the guy is an amazing football player and a figure that we are proud to have in south florida
    Built RAM tough

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Congrats to Jason Taylor. THE WINNER!!!

Your right laramO!

AP honors Dolphins' Taylor as top defender

NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (Jan. 5, 2007) -- Jason Taylor was one hard man to find on the Miami defense this season. Until, that is, the ball was snapped and he was making the play.

Taylor's superb all-around performance for the Dolphins earned him The Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year award. While Miami finished just 6-10 in 2006, the dynamic Taylor was having the best season of his nine-year pro career.

The end who sometimes lines up at linebacker or inside had 62 tackles, 13 sacks, 14 quarterback hurries, two interceptions -- both returned for TDs -- 11 passes defensed, 10 fumbles forced and two fumbles recovered. Yes, 10 fumbles forced, making Taylor a takeaway machine.

"It's just making big plays, feeling like you elevate the guys around you sometimes, and helping them to play better," Taylor said of his role. "Being able to take attention away from other areas and free up things for other people. At the end of the day, it's just making plays and trying to lead the team by example emotionally.

"You can sit around and talk about it, but you have to go out and do it and we all like to be able to get up and go do it."

While dozens of defenders were doing it well this season, Taylor outdistanced five who received votes, in particular Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. Taylor earned 22 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL, and Bailey got 16.

It is a measure of how effective Taylor was that he took the award playing on a losing team. But Miami's defense ranked fourth in the NFL -- thanks greatly to No. 99, naturally.

"I am playing a more complete game than I have at any point in my career," Taylor said. "I think the biggest thing that sticks out is the big plays, the touchdowns that are catching more attention.

"I think I have had some other decent years in this league, but this is probably my best."

It needed to be for Taylor to beat out Bailey, who tied for the league lead with 10 interceptions (one touchdown) even though opponents rarely test him. Bailey also is a stalwart run defender, something few cornerbacks can claim.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, whose team faced both the Dolphins (going 1-1) and the Broncos (a loss), praised Taylor as the top guy.

"I can't imagine him not being the Defensive Player of the Year this year," he said. "There's nobody I've seen that has played anywhere near close to the level that he's at. He ruins a lot of games offensively for teams."

With the Dolphins in turmoil after coach Nick Saban dumped them for the Alabama job this week, Taylor's achievement provides at least momentary relief and pride.

"It's always a flattering point, but this is the ultimate team game on the planet," Taylor said.

He is the first Dolphins player to win the award since DE Doug Betters in 1983. Ten years before that, safety Dick Anderson won it.

San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman, who missed four games for violating the NFL's steroids policy, got six votes. Last week, Taylor said he didn't believe any player who served such a suspension should be considered for league awards.

Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher received four votes, followed by two Baltimore Ravens with one apiece: LB Ray Lewis and lineman Trevor Pryce.

Urlacher won the award last year.