Thread: Michael Vick

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Michael Vick

Does anyone besides Falcon fans actually think this guy is a good professional quarterback?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Michael Vick

He's a great athlete playing the wrong position. He's not a very good qb lacks touch on the ball in my opinion. Would be better suited as a wr or maybe 3rd down back??

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Does anyone besides Falcon fans actually think this guy is a good professional quarterback?
    I don't see how they could, and I've got to believe even Falcon fans are out of patience. He's had 6 six years to prove he can consistently get the job done and hasn't even come close. As a runner, he has no equal, but as an NFL quarterback he's been mediocre to bad his entire career. The Michael Vick experiment for the most part has been a failure. He does flip a mean middle finger though.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

well its ashame because we've seen what he can do when he does play QB good. Yes, he's usually not playing consistently but when he's playing good, he's GOOD. I feel bad for the guy. I don't think his WR's are making his job any easier though. Its not all his fault...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    well its ashame because we've seen what he can do when he does play QB good. Yes, he's usually not playing consistently but when he's playing good, he's GOOD. I feel bad for the guy. I don't think his WR's are making his job any easier though. Its not all his fault...
    I thinks it's easy to be enamored with Vick's physical tools and athleticism, but his numbers as a passer speak for themselves, and they're not good. I don't think there is any question he's shown flashes of brilliance, but his inability to maintain that brilliance at any time during his 6 years in the league tells the story.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I thinks it's easy to be enamored with Vick's physical tools and athleticism, but his numbers as a passer speak for themselves, and they're not good. I don't think there is any question he's shown flashes of brilliance, but his inability to maintain that brilliance at any time during his 6 years in the league tells the story.
    Agreed. Has Vick made any kind of significant improvements as a passer in his six years in the league? I'm really at a loss to name any if he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed. Has Vick made any kind of significant improvements as a passer in his six years in the league? I'm really at a loss to name any if he has.
    He did have a 3 game stretch this season that I thought meant he was finally getting it. Boy was I wrong, back to the old MV.:x

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    He did have a 3 game stretch this season that I thought meant he was finally getting it. Boy was I wrong, back to the old MV.:x
    Same thing happened after the Miami and Green Bay game last season for them. He shows flashes of actually becoming a QB, people get their hopes up, and then in a few weeks he shows it was just a fluke and he really hasn't made any progress at all. I almost feel sorry for the Falcons fans who are stuck with this guy for another 8 years. Maybe by then he'll have put up at least one more season with a QB rating over 80.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I agree about Vick, but just to play devil's advocate, who has he ever had to throw to? Basically all he's had is Crumpler, they brought in Price as a cure to their WR problems when everyone could see he wasn't a #1 WR (well everyone but the Falcons Front Office that is), Price benefited from Moulds being double teamed and was useless in Atlanta, since he went back to Buffalo he hasn't done much either. Vick's WRs drop way too many passes, and this has to change because it's pathetic and isn't Vick's fault.

With that said, Vick doesn't play the traditional QB spot very well, but he does need some help. His athleticism makes up for some of his negatives, but it's not enough to make him a quality QB consistently.

Even if the Falcons do get him some talent at WR I'm still not sure he would improve all that much, but at least he would have a chance unlike he has now with those WR's.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I agree about Vick, but just to play devil's advocate, who has he ever had to throw to? Basically all he's had is Crumpler, they brought in Price as a cure to their WR problems when everyone could see he wasn't a #1 WR (well everyone but the Falcons Front Office that is), Price benefited from Moulds being double teamed and was useless in Atlanta, since he went back to Buffalo he hasn't done much either. Vick's WRs drop way too many passes, and this has to change because it's pathetic and isn't Vick's fault.

With that said, Vick doesn't play the traditional QB spot very well, but he does need some help. His athleticism makes up for some of his negatives, but it's not enough to make him a quality QB consistently.

Even if the Falcons do get him some talent at WR I'm still not sure he would improve all that much, but at least he would have a chance unlike he has now with those WR's.
    The Seahawks have/had the same issues...WR's dropping passes. I don't think it was ever a reflection on Hasselbeck. Tom Brady has had to deal with a bunch of no name receivers this season.

The Falcons IMO made a huge mistake letting Duckett fly the coop. The Falcons in recent years have always been able to grind it out with the run game. The combination of Dunn, Duckett and Vick always had teams on their heels. Instead of facing 3rd and short they're looking at 3rd and long more often than not. Now with that smashmouth style of offense gone the Falcons are relying on Vick to pass them to success. MV just doesn't have that passing QB mentality. The receivers can be blamed as part of the problem but I feel that Vick needs to be who he is. He's being taught to be a pocket QB that's not him. He may have one of the strongest arms in the NFL but he
    doesn't have the touch, recognition or whatever you want to call it.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The Seahawks have/had the same issues...WR's dropping passes. I don't think it was ever a reflection on Hasselbeck. Tom Brady has had to deal with a bunch of no name receivers this season.

The Falcons IMO made a huge mistake letting Duckett fly the coop. The Falcons in recent years have always been able to grind it out with the run game. The combination of Dunn, Duckett and Vick always had teams on their heels. Instead of facing 3rd and short they're looking at 3rd and long more often than not. Now with that smashmouth style of offense gone the Falcons are relying on Vick to pass them to success. MV just doesn't have that passing QB mentality. The receivers can be blamed as part of the problem but I feel that Vick needs to be who he is. He's being taught to be a pocket QB that's not him. He may have one of the strongest arms in the NFL but he
    doesn't have the touch, recognition or whatever you want to call it.
    First I was just playing devil's advocate, I already agreed about Vick. As for WRs dropping passes, it completely affects Vick and comparing Koren Robinson and Jackson who still did make plays for Hass even though they did drop passes isn't realistic. Those WRs in Atlanta aren't in the same league as what Seattle had/has, they don't make plays at all for Vick and are hurting him.

Same with Brady, he still has more talent at WR even this year than Vick does, and they don't drop passes, which is the main point.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

moklerman is offline Registered User

I haven't watched a lot of Atlanta but whenever I do watch, Vick makes a lot more bad throws than his receivers drop passes. I equate Vick to Kordell Stewart in terms of their respective teams betting everything on them. Pittsburgh waited years for Kordell to step it up to the next level and at least play consistent qb. Not until they gave up on the Kordell experiment did they start winning playoff games. Kordell was popular with the fans, liked by his teammates and was a great athlete. He just wasn't an NFL qb. I think the same can be said for Vick. At this point though, could the Falcons ever make the decision to bench him? I don't know that any team would trade for him with his current contract so Atlanta will likely live and mostly die with Vick.