general counsel is offline Registered User

michael vick and the dead preachers wife

This is not a joke, this is an attempt to put the vick situation into perspective. The wife of a tennessee preacher who shot him in the back and killed him is being released today from jail after serving 7 months. Thats right people, she served seven months for shooting him in the back and killing him. Was he a perfect human being? Of course not, but the fact that he asked her to dress up in sexy shoes and outfits doesnt excuse killing him in my book, nor does the "emotional abuse" that she alleged.

Michael Vick, if guilty, has perpetrated horrible acts on dogs. Dogs. Not people. I am not defending vick in any way, i love dogs and have a pet dog. However, gambling on dog fights does not equate to shooting someone in the back and killing them. Like it or not, under the law, a dog is property and not a person. Morally, abusing an animal is reprehensible, but it doesnt compare to the crimes associated with abusing, let alone killing a person.

At the end of the day, vick is probably going to plead guilty and probably serve a little time, maybe 3 months or so. Before anyone starts screaming that he should spend longer in jail, think of the woman who shot her preacher husband in the back, killed him, and was out of the slam/mental hospital in 7 months.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: michael vick and the dead preachers wife

As far as the NFL goes, gambling is as bad as murder. Vick may plead and serve minimal jail time, but as I mentioned in another thread, IMO the pressure by outside forces will keep him out of the NFL, that is unless the league beats them to it.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Angry Re: michael vick and the dead preachers wife

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Before anyone starts screaming that he should spend longer in jail, think of the woman who shot her preacher husband in the back, killed him, and was out of the slam/mental hospital in 7 months.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I don't think that lady had the right sentence/treatment, I'm willing to bet that she is still unstable. They should both be in there much longer.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

At the end of the day, vick is probably going to plead guilty and probably serve a little time, maybe 3 months or so. Before anyone starts screaming that he should spend longer in jail, think of the woman who shot her preacher husband in the back, killed him, and was out of the slam/mental hospital in 7 months.
    But we are dealing with two different criminal structures here. The preacher's wife was sentenced through a state court (lots of leeway for the judge to decide). Vick will be sentenced in a federal court with nearly zero leeway. The Office of Probation and Parole will do a pre-sentence report that calculates the sentence range (usually a 6-month range) based on the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. Whatever range the pre-sentence reports shows is what the judge will have to work with.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

hubison, i hear you loud and clear on the legal differences between state and federal court. I am making more of a moral and ethical commentary on how our overall legal system works and how we choose to punish people as a society. Its more of a general concept of fundemental fairness from my perspective.

I think that the league should be able to take harsher action than a criminal court and i believe that it will. I agree with the point that gambling is a very serious matter in athletics and i believe that its the gambling and the lying that has him in the biggest trouble with the league. The dogs are a marketing issue and a legal issue as well, but not as serious as the gambling from the leagues perspective. Lying to the commissioners face is generally not a good career move.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    I am making more of a moral and ethical commentary on how our overall legal system works and how we choose to punish people as a society. Its more of a general concept of fundemental fairness from my perspective.
    From that perspective, I agree 100%. The willful death of a dog (or a million dogs) should never bear as much punishment as the intended death of a single human.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

The issue here may not simply be the killing of A dog but the killing of several dogs (allegedly) and in various inhumane ways.

Granted, still not equitable with extinguishing the life of another human being, but a pattern which is said to be known to lead to the eventual similar treatment of fellow humans.

Maybe some time in therapy will part of his rehabilitation.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Millions of people love their dogs like they are their children.