Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Mike Furrey second in NFL receptions

Mike Furrey ended up with 98 catches, over 1,000 yds and 6 TD's. I am not saying that we should have kept him, as we are so deep at WR and he was a ball-hawking S but got burnt too often. I just thought that he put up a very good season quietly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/by...eiving&sort=27

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Furrey second in NFL receptions

I liked Furrey also. He will do what is needed for the team and he has a big motor and some speed. Good for him. Moving to the Lions gave him an opportunity to play WR again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He's had a great season no doubt, but I have a hard time believing he's anywhere near this productive outside of a Mike Martz coached team.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

BTW all the hacks are saying how clever Martz is for playing him at WR,but wasn't it MM who moved him to safety at the Rams??!!:l

Quote Originally Posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
    BTW all the hacks are saying how clever Martz is for playing him at WR,but wasn't it MM who moved him to safety at the Rams??!!:l
    My biggest pet peeve this season may be constantly hearing about how the Lions are playing a former safety at WR, as if Furrey has never been a receiver before.

If people actually did their research, they'd find that he was a productive DI-AA, played in the XFL as a receiver, was a leading receiver in the AFL, and was only moved from receiver to safety by the Rams so we could keep him on the roster to contribute on special teams.

Yet all the time you hear the Lions receiving corps is so poor that they have a former safety starting at receiver.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You'd think that it would be obvious that he was a WR before considering he had 20 receptions for the Rams in 2003.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My biggest pet peeve this season may be constantly hearing about how the Lions are playing a former safety at WR, as if Furrey has never been a receiver before.

If people actually did their research, they'd find that he was a productive DI-AA, played in the XFL as a receiver, was a leading receiver in the AFL, and was only moved from receiver to safety by the Rams so we could keep him on the roster to contribute on special teams.

Yet all the time you hear the Lions receiving corps is so poor that they have a former safety starting at receiver.
    Those PUSSY CAT fans will never get it right!

moklerman is offline Registered User

Kudo's to Mike Furrey. I pulled for him to have success after the sacrifices he made and character he showed with the Rams. Very happy that he got an opportunity with the Lions.
    but I have a hard time believing he's anywhere near this productive outside of a Mike Martz coached team.
    Do you mean because he wouldn't be getting the opportunity to be a #2 on other teams or that he doesn't have the ability?

His relationship with Martz is somewhat perplexing to me. I was impressed at Furrey's loyalty to Martz after getting him to switch positions and was even more impressed by Martz's apparent rewarding of that loyalty by giving Furrey an opportunity to succeed this year. It had seemed to me that Furrey was a bust at WR since he was asked to switch to defense and that Martz and Co. probably liked his spirit and drive but not his talent. I guess I read that one wrong.
    Last edited by moklerman; -01-06-2007 at 03:24 PM.

viper is offline Registered User

Furrey has always been a gamer. I'm glad he has been given a chance to show what he can do. He has shown alot of heart in everything that has been asked of him. We were just too deep at WR for him to have much of a chance with the Rams. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Do you mean because he wouldn't be getting the opportunity to be a #2 on other teams or that he doesn't have the ability?
    I guess a little bit of both. I don't think another coach would be giving Furrey the opportunity to start like Martz is in Detroit, and I think he's probably maximizing his ability in that offense considering the Lions were second in the NFL in pass attempts without a true #3 receiver taking receptions away.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    Mike Furrey ended up with 98 catches, over 1,000 yds and 6 TD's. I am not saying that we should have kept him, as we are so deep at WR and he was a ball-hawking S but got burnt too often. I just thought that he put up a very good season quietly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/by...eiving&sort=27
    agreed, he had a very nice season and lets give him the credit he is do,i know some say it's the system and he wouldn't do as well in other offenses, which to me doesn't really matter since he doesnt play in other systems,he plays for the lions and he does well,nice job Mike.

general counsel is offline Registered User

furreys season and the presence of roy williams make me wonder why anyone would think that the lions, who have more holes than the titanic, would spend real money on kevin curtis just because martz likes him. If curtis leaves, it will be for a chance to start. Does anyone think that he would have a better season than furrey just had? The key to the cap era is balance, if you want to win, you dont pay for an upgrade at a position where you already have two productive starters and practically nothing at a number of other positions.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    If curtis leaves, it will be for a chance to start. Does anyone think that he would have a better season than furrey just had?
    I think he certainly has the potential to put up better numbers as a starter for the Lions than Furrey, sure.

You have to consider that Mike accumulated a lot of yards because he had a lot of catches. Curtis would give the Lions a starter who is more capable of stretching the field. As a back-up, Curtis had nearly as many 20+ yard receptions as Furrey did as a starter. Furrey didn't have a single 40+ yard reception this season. Curtis had one this year as a back-up and four in 2005, three of which came when he replaced Bruce in the starting line-up.

Besides, according to Pro Football Weekly, the Lions are having a bit of trouble signing Furrey to an extension because apparently Furrey wants to be paid like a #2 receiver after the season he's had. If I'm Detroit and I'm going to be shelling out #2-type money, I'm doing it for Curtis, not Furrey.

moklerman is offline Registered User

It'll be interesting to see how Furrey and his agent deal with the situation. Obviously, to me, Furrey has a sense of loyalty so I can see him taking less but at the same time, he's been run through the mill a couple of times already in his career as well as taking the long winding road to get to where he is so he may want to get what he can, while he can get it.

As far as who I'd take between Curtis and Furrey, it's a tough question and would really depend on what all the variables are. In this particular case, Curtis offers speed and potential. Furrey offers more size, durability(?), toughness and rapport with Kitna(Is Kitna really the answer in Detroit? I always felt that he got screwed in Cincinatti, but the more I get to see Kitna play, the more I can see that he has a very clear ceiling).

I could easily see them coexisting in Detroit, assuming there arem't huge changes for them before next year. Mike Williams is a bust so far and I'd rather see Curtis and Furrey complimenting Roy Williams than Furrey and M.W. I actually wonder which role Curtis would best fill. Would he be a Holt or Hakim for Martz's Lions? In '99, Bruce was 1, Holt was 2 and Hakim was 3. That's kind of how I see Detroit as a possible parallel with Roy Williams as the obvious #1. Bruce isn't as big but the dynamic is more similar than how it is now with Holt as the 1.

So, with Williams at 1, I could easily see Curtis stepping in as the burner at 2 but then Furrey would have to move to the slot and I don't think he'd want to take a step back on the depth chart. Of course, Curtis wouldn't make a lateral move to the Lions(depth chart-wise) and stay in the slot either. Maybe they can't coexist in Detroit. Didn't Martz want to sign Hakim? That would solve everything(!).
    Last edited by moklerman; -01-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.