megas711 Guest

Mike Martz next team

If Mike Martz won the Super Bowl with his next team, would everyone want him back?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Mike Martz next team

Quote Originally Posted by megas711
    If Mike Martz won the Super Bowl with his next team, would everyone want him back?
    It wouldn't change a thing. Those who like him now would say that's proof we messed up by firing him. Those who don't like him now, would say his players are what made the championship, and he was just a beneficant of their play.

Either way, nobody is going to change their mind regardless of what he does from here on out.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Those who don't like him now, would say his players are what made the championship, and he was just a beneficant of their play.
    I really hope Martz wins a Super Bowl to try and see someone made the argument that Joey Harrington and the freakin' Detroit Lions players were the reason they won a championship. LOL
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I really hope Martz wins a Super Bowl to try and see someone made the argument that Joey Harrington and the freakin' Detroit Lions players were the reason they won a championship. LOL
    But you KNOW there are people that will try to make that argument.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

The Big Bison is correct in my opinion. However, if the lions win it all, the most likely view will be "See, i told you he was a great offensive coordinator and a lousy head coach."

My best friend is a lions fan. I have watched a tape of most lions games for the last three years. Harrington is not only lousy, he really isnt improving. If martz can make a real qb out of joey, i hope at least that once and for all he can be acknowledged as a great developer of qbs. it drive me nuts that despite warner, bulger and trent green, three reclamation projects who went on to be all pros, people still cite martz's "failure" with smoker and chandler to deny his genius in developing qb's. In the history of the game, or anything else for that matter, is anyone ever right all the time?

Personally, i dont think even martz can save joey. You cant win the kentucky derby riding a donkey.

I bet the lions trade for matt schaub.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Hodgins Guest

I would regret him not being able to stay on as an OC

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    The Big Bison is correct in my opinion. However, if the lions win it all, the most likely view will be "See, i told you he was a great offensive coordinator and a lousy head coach."
    That's exactly what went through my head when I read the post. Being the OC of a winning team wouldn't really answer the big questions about his head coaching skills (i.e. what about the languishing defense and special teams, questionable hiring of coordinators on his say-so). I'd love to have him back as an OC if it weren't for all the personality conflicts involved. He is going to have a lot of toys in Detroit's offense. It'll be interesting to see if he can get them to perform. Best of luck to him, except when they play us.

megas711 Guest

What I think is that it wasnt Martz that won the Super Bowl but it was the great combo of players that they had. Martz would call some plays that normally wouldnt work but they found ways to make it work. (Warner, Faulk, and Bruce).
    Last edited by megas711; -02-16-2006 at 08:45 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Mega, that is a very very reasonable view of the situation as long as you are willing to blame the players when they lose. Not directed at you at all mega, but one of my pet peeves is that for many fans, when the team does well, its because the players are great, and when the team loses its because the coach is an idiot.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

megas711 Guest

You have a good point there and very valid one indeed but the players do call alot of the plays that fail on the field and they are the ones who have to execute those plays. So therefore which would you rather have? A great team with poor strategy; or a poor team with great strategy? (I had a better point in my head earlier but I forgot)

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

"(I had a better point in my head earlier but I forgot)"

You've got to stop thinking in Binary.

There are some that will never be convinced by Martz no matter where he ends up or what he wins. I like Nick's point though because that would truly need some logical and verbal gymnastics on behalf of some Martz sceptics.

GC and Nick between them have perfectly illustrated some of the absurdity of comment that was applied to Martz in his final days. When we won it was players, players, players and when we lost it was because Martz was a "moron".