Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Vick

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Mike Vick

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Michael Vick got a head start on a possible long prison stretch Monday, surrendering three weeks before he was to be sentenced for his involvement in a bloody dogfighting ring.

The disgraced Atlanta Falcons quarterback surrendered to U.S. marshals in what his lawyer said was another step in his public repentance.

"From the beginning, Mr. Vick has accepted responsibility for his actions, and his self-surrender further demonstrates that acceptance," attorney Billy Martin said in a statement. "Michael wants to again apologize to everyone who has been hurt in this matter, and he thanks all of the people who have offered him and his family prayers and support during this time."

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Mike Vick

I was thinking about Vick and this tragic situation. I know from my rough upbringing that environment plays a great deal in poor judgment. You know things are wrong but yet you do them. He did what is unthinkable for many and exciting for few. This outcome has provided a reality check for him and with time to think of this heinous course he was on.

I feel that his experience can be used for good and the NFL is a good launch pad for awareness and reaching the youth that sees no problem with dog fighting.

I may sound naive but if he is sincere he can make a difference.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Being an animal lover- especially dogs- I say screw him. Let him rot away in his jail cell thinking about how his NFL career (if you could call it that) is passing him by and all that money is slowly being drained away. This guy did monstrous things- if he did to humans what he did to those innocent animals, he would contemplating these same things on death row. I don't see upbringing as an excuse- I'm not sure how anyone could look at a wounded dog, soak it in a tub, and then electrocute it. This guy has no heart and his remorse is a transparent as his subpar QB ability. I hope he gets the max sentence.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

"From the beginning, Mr. Vick has accepted responsibility for his actions, and his self-surrender further demonstrates that acceptance," attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.
    From the beginning? Is this guy delusional or what? In the beginning Vick vehemently maintained that he was completely innocent and tried to put all the blame on his own family members. It was only after his co-defendants agreed to testify against him that he had a mea culpa and conveniently "found" Jesus.

This is nothing more than a feeble attempt to try and manufacture the appearance of remorse in order to get a lighter sentence.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Personally, I could care less either way.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It seems to me that Vick has done some growing up thru this incident. That has to count for something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    It seems to me that Vick has done some growing up thru this incident. That has to count for something.
    Let's hope that is the case, Utter.

Personally I tend to lean more towards this being an attempt to influence the judge into a more lenient sentence. :x
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Let's hope that is the case, Utter.

Personally I tend to lean more towards this being an attempt to influence the judge into a more lenient sentence. :x
    At least he understands that he is not above the law and that his actions have consequences even if he is looking for a more lenient sentence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    At least he understands that he is not above the law and that his actions have consequences even if he is looking for a more lenient sentence.
    Maybe Vick has learned something Utter, but I have my doubts. Actions speak louder than words and the fact that a few short weeks after he pled guilty and then gave his "I've changed, I know how wrong dog fighting is, I've found Jesus" statement, he tests positive for marijuana in direct violation of not only the law, but his release conditions. Sorry, but this guy has done nothing to show me he's changed his ways.

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? He isn't the only person in America who owns a dog fighting facility. Heck, a radio station here in Austin found 5 of them in one day in Travis County.

I seriously think we put athletes on too big of a pedestal. He's just a guy from a bad part of Newport News who grew up in an area where this type of activity was accepted. Just because he suddenly makes mega money doesn't mean he changes his stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? He isn't the only person in America who owns a dog fighting facility. Heck, a radio station here in Austin found 5 of them in one day in Travis County.

I seriously think we put athletes on too big of a pedestal. He's just a guy from a bad part of Newport News who grew up in an area where this type of activity was accepted. Just because he suddenly makes mega money doesn't mean he changes his stripes.
    Tx, not much we talk about here really matters in the grand scheme of things, right? This is a topic of conversation like any other, is it not? You have your opinions on it, and others have theirs. Why say you could care less and then continue in the discussion? You obviously do care somewhat and are voicing your thoughts which is great.

As for Vick, IMO he is the lowest form of individual and deserves everything he's going to get, regardless of his cultural upbringing. He's had chance after chance to show he can become a good citizen and so far, he hasn't come close. Lost cause.

hey mike,

Happy Thanksgiving buddy.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Tx, not much we talk about here really matters in the grand scheme of things, right? This is a topic of conversation like any other, is it not? You have your opinions on it, and others have theirs. Why say you could care less and then continue in the discussion? You obviously do care somewhat and are voicing your thoughts which is great.

As for Vick, IMO he is the lowest form of individual and deserves everything he's going to get, regardless of his cultural upbringing. He's had chance after chance to show he can become a good citizen and so far, he hasn't come close. Lost cause.
    Not to mention he's a liar, BIGTIME! Right to the Commissioners face.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't buy the upbringing/environment arguement in this case either. This is a guy who attended college and has been coached by many on what is right and wrong and how to stay out of trouble. He knew what he was doing, hasn't shown any remorse or evidence of changing his ways. The fact that he thinks killing, much less torturing a subserviant creature like a dog is entertaining is revolting. I couldn't think any less of Michael Vick and I hope he serves a long, miserable, sodomy filled prison term, loses not only his signing bonus, but all his other posessions and is never allowed back in the NFL. And that's me being really careful about what I'm saying.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Nothing on this planet brings about the appearance of maturation like a federal conviction.

While I would like to think otherwise, my experience tells me this guy's remorse is directed not at his action, but his apprehension.

My guess is, if you were to ask Vick, "Why'd you do it?"....the answer would not be, "I'm stupid, and it was wrong." No, no, personal responsibility is soooo yesterday. Me thinks the response would be along the lines of, "Wasn't my fault. I didn't do it. (Fill in the blank with blame target) made me do it." Maybe that blame target is his family or friends. Maybe it's the NFL, maybe it's the Commissioner. Maybe it's President Bush. Maybe it's white people (this one will move to the top of the list should Sharpton or Jackson get involved).

But rest assured it won't be Vick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast