Varg6 is offline Registered User

Mora Fired from Falcons...

Mora fired as Falcons coach Click here to find out more!
    NFL.com wire reports

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (Jan. 1, 2007) -- Atlanta fired coach Jim Mora on Monday, just two years after he led the Falcons to the NFC Championship Game.

The decision to dump the fiery coach followed two straight disappointing seasons. The Falcons lost six of their final eight games in 2005 to miss the playoffs, and they finished 7-9 this season by losing seven of the last nine contests.

Owner Arthur Blank made the announcement at the team's suburban training complex.

Atlanta went into the final weekend with a slim chance to slip into the playoffs with a .500 record. That ended Saturday night when the New York Giants won at Washington; the Falcons closed the season Sunday with a meaningless 24-17 loss at Philadelphia.

Mora's final game was in the same stadium where the Falcons lost to the Eagles for the NFC championship at the end of the 2004 season, coming up one victory short of the Super Bowl.

The 45-year-old Mora, son of longtime NFL coach Jim Mora, went 26-22 in three seasons as Atlanta's coach.

A former defensive coordinator in San Francisco, the younger Mora led the Falcons to the NFC South title in his rookie season. The team slumped to 8-8 a year ago, then endured his first losing record.

"This was an extremely difficult decision for us," Blank said in a statement before holding a news conference to announce the decision. "We had the highest hopes and aspirations for a long run with Jim as our coach, but we feel this decision is in the best long-term interests of our franchise. I have great respect for Jim's passion for the game, and we wish Jim and his family all of the best."

Mora had two years left on his contract, which was extended before this season. He could not immediately be reached for comment; a message was left on his cell phone.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Mora Fired from Falcons...

Jim Mora Sr. said it....Michael Vick is a coach killer.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Jim Mora Sr. said it....Michael Vick is a coach killer.
    Jim Mora Jr. didn't help his cause by publicly drooling over the UDub job and saying he wouldn't think twice about taking it if it opened up. Mora getting fired was a foregone conclusion after he put his foot in his mouth on the airwaves.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I didn't care for Mora, Jr. as a head coach. We need cleaning people at my office building. I can get him on if he doesn't throw tantrums with the mop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Jim Mora Jr. didn't help his cause by publicly drooling over the UDub job and saying he wouldn't think twice about taking it if it opened up. Mora getting fired was a foregone conclusion after he put his foot in his mouth on the airwaves.
    Everything I've read about the situation is that Blank was EXTREMELY upset about this incident and it basically sealed Mora's fate. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mora would have been retained after this season had he not made those comments, though he likely would have been forced to make some changes at coordinators.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!