Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

More NFL, the Rams and Los Angeles

This past Wednesday, I was tuned into one of my usual local sports radio shows (KFI 830) as I was driving home and they had John Semcken on as a guest. John Sencken is, for those that do not know, the Majestic Realty Co. partner managing the NFL stadium project with Ed Roski. Majestic Realty Co. is responsible for the Staples Center in which the Lakers, Kings and Clippers play in downtown LA. The proposed NFL stadium site is about 30 minutes east of LA in the City of Industry.

I don't have a written copy of the converstation, but some of the stuff I heard was very interesting, and encouraging. I wanted to share some of the things I heard with those that care about NFL football in LA.

First of all, Roski and Sencken are "100%" sure that this will happen. In fact, a bond passed recently almost unanimously, and more recently, environmental issues which were thought to be a major hurdle have been approved and cleared. Now, it's just getting an NFL team to commit to coming to LA. This is where it gets interesting.

When asked who he thought might be interested, John stated that, although he couldn't divulge all the details about any talks with teams, the teams that the media has thrown around recently are possible candidates, including: Rams, Raiders, Whiners, Chargers, Jaguars, Bills, Vikings and Saints. What really caught my ear was when a question was posed about what teams were really most likely to move, rather than just posturing and using the LA move for their own stadium deal. Semcken said that a team that is currently up for sale as being a "better candidate", but only two teams were currently "up for sale".

The Jaquars and the Rams.

I find it interesting that a guy with that profile would say that if it were not true.

When asked when this would happen, Semcken said that he believes that an NFL team will be here as early as the 2010 season, playing that season and the 2011 season in either the Rose Bowl or the LA Coliseum until Roski's stadium is completed in 2012.

According to Semcken, the NFL really wants an NFL team back in LA, and this proposal (unlike other proposals in the past) is solid and back financially and they are definitely interested and listening. They expressed the need to get more Superbowls back in Los Angeles, because the revenue in LA and Miami are still, by far, the most profitable.

This interview, along with other articles about Roski and teams like the Rams and Chargers, that are floating around here make me finally really believe that the NFL will be back in LA very soon.

Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: More NFL, the Rams and Los Angeles

we can live in hope...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Hmmmm.. LOS ANGELES RAMS, Yeah it has a nice ring to it.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Yeah, but with the Rams in St. Louis, a central location, fans from all over the nation can travel a shorter distance than the east coast fans like Nick and Avenger would have to make to go to L.A.

Besides, there are diehards here in Missouri who really don't want to let go of our team. (And I ain't talking about the chiefs, here!)

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Yeah, but with the Rams in St. Louis, a central location, fans from all over the nation can travel a shorter distance than the east coast fans like Nick and Avenger would have to make to go to L.A.

Besides, there are diehards here in Missouri who really don't want to let go of our team. (And I ain't talking about the chiefs, here!)
    Nobody wants to lose their team, trust me on that one. ..and I hope, for the sake of all great St. Louis fans that they won't have to suffer the loss of another NFL team. I still have the local LA paper with the headlines saying the Rams were gone. That smiling picture of Georgia on the front page still brings back bitter feelings.

Don't be too concerned about the Rams moving to LA. I believe it'll be the Jaguars or Chargers that come here because of the timing issue with the current contract/stadium deal in St. Louis.

However, that being said, I also believe that the Rams will be sold within a couple of years, and then the possibility of them moving is very real.

Here's a funny and ironic possibility.

The Chargers move north to LA because they can't get a stadium deal done quickly enough. (talk about this is already in the news) Then, within a year or two, the Rams are sold about the same time the stadium deal in St. Louis if up. The fine city of San Diego decides it wants the NFL back and they build a new state-of-the-art stadium and lure the new owner of the Rams to San Diego.

We then have the Los Angeles Chargers, and the San Diego Rams.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I would find it very fitting to have the Jags move to LA. After all, it was tags' insistance that Jax get the team that STL was already prepared for. That caused STL to intice the RAMS from LA. Had Tags not fought so hard to keep STL from getting an expansion team, the RAMS may still be in LA.

gap

EDIT: WOW!!! 2001 has become 2009, and I only have 3 posts.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

This interview was on Am570 as well on the PMS petros and Money Show. He mentioned the new stadium would be 16 miles outside of Disney Land so probably in the city of Orange. Interesting interview

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    This interview was on Am570 as well on the PMS petros and Money Show. He mentioned the new stadium would be 16 miles outside of Disney Land so probably in the city of Orange. Interesting interview
    Actually, the site is located where the 57 and the 60 meet, which is LA county in the City of Industry. Still, better than being located in downtown LA. About a 30 minute drive from my house and about a 10 minute drive from my work. There is a website (which I believe I can't link here) but Google losangelesfootballstadium and you'll find it.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Actually, the site is located where the 57 and the 60 meet, which is LA county in the City of Industry. Still, better than being located in downtown LA. About a 30 minute drive from my house and about a 10 minute drive from my work. There is a website (which I believe I can't link here) but Google losangelesfootballstadium and you'll find it.
    I know exactly where they are talking about, that place is a good place, not too much traffic, and actually it's easy to get to wont be a lot of traffic. You can get there via the 60,91, and 71, those freeways are connected to the 10,110 and 210, or 15.

Ghost of Jim Everett is offline Registered User

I'm all for the Rams returning home to LA

gap

If the RAMS were going to "return home', then they'd have to go to Cleveland. I am for them staying in STL.

gap

Ghost of Jim Everett is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    If the RAMS were going to "return home', then they'd have to go to Cleveland. I am for them staying in STL.

gap
    48 years in LA versus 9 years in Cleveland.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Jim Everett View Post
    48 years in LA versus 9 years in Cleveland.

Doesn't matter. Home is where a team started. Making a slight change of your example.

2 SB in STL, 1 in LA, and a Championship in Cleveland. LA and Cleveland tie (except Cleveland won theirs), and STL trumps them both.

gap

ram3057 is offline Registered User

Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Doesn't matter. Home is where a team started. Making a slight change of your example.

2 SB in STL, 1 in LA, and a Championship in Cleveland. LA and Cleveland tie (except Cleveland won theirs), and STL trumps them both.

gap
    LA also won a NFL championship in addition to their Super Bowl appearance, and also appeared in 3 other NFL Championship games.

More importantly, Cleveland rejected the Rams in favor of the Browns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast