Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram

Thread: More penalties to ruin a great game-Now, they throw a flag every other play, correct?

vanillasue is offline Registered User

More penalties to ruin a great game-Now, they throw a flag every other play, correct?

This thread is about football, but unfortunately about people who are destroying the game.

I can just hear it now - "15 yards for use of the N word, Number 29, Denver Broncos, 2nd down Denver" - More penalties to ruin the game of football.

We love Roger God Dell and his politically correct police canvasing the NFL for hate speech. How come this guy is not another worthless Senator destroying the country ?

NFL to penalize use of racial slur

ESPN.com news services

The head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors diversity in the NFL, expects the league to institute a rule where players would be penalized 15 yards for using the N-word on the field.
    John Wooten, the head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, anticipates that the NFL's competition committee will enact the rule at the owners' meeting next month.
    "We did talk about it, I'm sure that you saw near the end of the year that Fritz Pollard (Alliance) came out very strong with the message that the league needs to do something about the language on the field," said Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who is on the league's competition committee. "So we did discuss over the last three days."
    “We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room. Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere.
    ” -- John Wooten, head of Fritz Pollard Alliance
    Newsome also said the committee talked about other slurs coming under any possible new rule, including homophobic slurs.
    Wooten, who previously has urged all players to stop using the N-word, thinks the NFL will rule an automatic 15-yard penalty for first-time offenders and an ejection for second infractions.
    "I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we're trying to do," Wooten said, according to CBSSports.com. "We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room.
    "Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere."
    Wooten thinks the competition committee will officially agree to the rule next month before presenting it to the owners.
    "I think they're going to do what needs to be done here," he said. "There is too much disrespect in the game."
    The competition committee meets for several days in Naples, Fla., next week, where they will decide what will be presented to owners at league meetings in March.
    "We will now go down to Naples starting next Friday and spend more time talking about it,'' Newsome said. "We had some officials in our meeting that actually out there on the field and hear the language. We'll be able to put all that together and if there's a need to we will present something to our owners in Orlando.
    "With any rule that we put into play we have to look at it from A to Z and find out any unintended consequences as much as the consequences. So, as it was stated in our meeting, there are mics everywhere, so if something has been said it's probably going to be captured somewhere. So there will be an opportunity to get it verified if we have to."

clive is offline Registered User

Re: More penalties to ruin a great game-Now, they throw a flag every other play, corr

Will it be applied to coloured players who refer to themselves using the N word? If not I can see some appeals in court for discrimination.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: More penalties to ruin a great game-Now, they throw a flag every other play, corr

Is the new penalty really only for using the one word, or is it directed at all racial slurs? I cant see how one racial slurs is a penalty but another racial slur is ok.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

File this one under "subjects the NFL should not touch." I see disaster written all over this one.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Ending the N word with a vowel isn't racist. Now a consonant, you're in a heap of trouble. Political correctness at its finest.
    citr92 likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The NFL already allows officials to penalize for "taunting." I'd have no problem expanding the definition of that term to include the use of slurs.

The tougher question is whether officials can reasonably be expected to police things that players say to teammates or in "non-taunting" scenarios.

While I get the purpose behind the initiative, it does not seem very manageable to me.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

1. I assume this will be called the Incognito rule.

2. Will all rap music have to be outlawed in the NFL?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Wouldn't there have to be list of the words that are considered racial slurs for the players and coaches to refer to?

Haste is offline Registered User

I can definitely seeing this being abused to switch the tide of a game.

If it happens in the late 4th quarter, the fans are going to be raging.

A ref could practically make it up, mis-identify the team/player who said it, etc.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    I can definitely seeing this being abused to switch the tide of a game.

If it happens in the late 4th quarter, the fans are going to be raging.

A ref could practically make it up, mis-identify the team/player who said it, etc.
    I think a rule like this is destined for failure. As others have mentioned, it should be any racial slur. I worked in an area were I was one of few caucasions, and I can tell you that racism clearly goes both ways. From my experience in that environment, I can say that causcasions don't hold a candle others when it comes to racism, so any racial slur directed at any people group needs to be included.

To the point above, I think it also has to be recorded to be a penalty. There are plenty of microphones around the field that will catch it, and if it is not on tape, it would be too easy for a ref to make it up. The same way Langford was ejected in Seattle due to ref bias. It was clear his hitting a ref was not an intentional hit, and it was a direct result of another ref pulling on his hand. That was completely a choice by the ref to decide who to penalize. Having this as a choice option for the ref in the heat of the moment is not a good idea. Refs are human too, so they can make mistakes, but their mistakes cannot be undone by a penalty assessment.

gap

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    Ending the N word with a vowel isn't racist. Now a consonant, you're in a heap of trouble. Political correctness at its finest.
    always hated that lol

makes no sense to me

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

What if you use a racial slur against a person who isn't of the race that the slur is usually aimed at?