general counsel Guest

More on sean taylor

145 pm eastern time on saturday and espn is still reporting that police are looking for taylor. This is outrageous. Taylor would have to be on the moon to not know that the police are looking for him. Must have gotten his attorney on the phone immediately of course and they are probably negotiating the circumstances under which he will "agree" to submit to the jurisdiction of the police. Yet again, not a day goes by where some spoiled brat athlete/entertainer etc thinks the rules of society dont apply to them.

One would think that he would realize that the longer this goes on the more guilty he looks even if he didnt do anything. looks to me like the spin doctors at work.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: More on sean taylor

Thanks For The Update Gc.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's the latest...

Redskins | Police and Courts: S. Taylor
    Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:04:43 -0700

Updating an ongoing storyline, the Associated Press reports Miami-Dade County police said Washington Redskins S Sean Taylor pointed a gun at someone Wednesday, June 1 during a dispute over two all terrain vehicles he claims the victims had stolen. Taylor, who was with others, left the scene but returned about 10 minutes later and assaulted one victim with his fists. Another man, Charles Elwood Caughman, threatened and chased another victim with a baseball bat, police said. Caughman was arrested later that day and charged with aggravated assault, police said. Police said the Redskins organization cooperated with them during the investigation. As previously noted, Taylor has been charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and simple battery. He was accompanied by his attorney, Fred Moldovan, when he turned himself in Saturday, June 4.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

According To Espn Taylor Has Turned Himself In,does This Go In The Big Deal Or Who Cares File ?

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

If it happened in Texas everything would be alright :tongue:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

general counsel Guest

While psycho may be correct, i dont believe pointing a gun at someone who "previously" may have stolen your vehicle is legitimate behavior. How about "call the police." It doesnt appear as if he was defending himself at the time of the incident, but we will wait and see.

general counsel

ps as a general matter of law, the use of deadly force (ie a gun) in defense of property alone (vs. defending yourself) is never kosher. If you are sitting in your house and see someone stealing your car in your driveway, you DO NOT have the legal right to blow his head off with a gun. You can of course call the police.

Always Look Forward To The Legal Prospective From Gc.,but I Think This Will All Go Away So How.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Police say Taylor did not fire gun
    By Jody Foldesy
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Miami police confirmed yesterday that Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor fired no shots in Wednesday night's incident in southern Dade County, a crucial fact given Florida's stiff mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes.

Meanwhile, two sources familiar with the investigation said there is a second phase of the case in which Taylor is the apparent victim. In the first phase, according to police, Taylor pointed a gun at two victims and physically assaulted one. Subsequently, sources said, there was a retaliation in which shots were fired at Taylor.

Detective Mary Walters of the Miami-Dade County Police Department, who confirmed Taylor did not fire his gun, declined comment on the second phase of the case. It was unclear when police might release information in connection to the shooting.

The two pieces of information uncovered yesterday helped clear up some of the uncertainties that lingered in the wake of Taylor's arrest Saturday night on two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, a third-degree felony, and one count of simple battery, a first-degree misdemeanor.

Police on Friday said they were searching for Taylor in connection with a "shooting," but a press release obtained Sunday said no shots were fired. The existence of a second phase of the case could explain the discrepancy.

After posting bond Saturday night, Taylor was released. He is scheduled to be arraigned June 24, five days after the Redskins conclude minicamp, the final element of their offseason workout program.

Coach Joe Gibbs said Taylor has been excused for the remainder of the workout program. The move was somewhat superficial, considering Taylor hadn't shown up for the program or even talked to Gibbs this offseason, but the team seemingly wanted to make clear that Taylor has no Redskins commitments for the foreseeable future.

"As of today, Sean is excused from the participating in the remainder of the club's voluntary offseason workout program and the upcoming mandatory minicamp beginning on June 17," Gibbs said in a statement. "As an organization, the Redskins believe that it is in Sean's best interest to focus on his personal and legal issues at this time."

Gibbs directed any further inquiries to the NFL, which has a personal-conduct policy to discipline players for crimes.

The fact Taylor didn't fire any shots could be crucial because of Florida's "10-20-Life" law. By not discharging the weapon, Taylor could face a mandatory minimum sentence of just three years rather than 20.

The "10-20-Life" law was instituted in 1999 as part of Gov. Jeb Bush's effort to get tough on crime. The law set minimum sentences of 10 years if a gun is present when certain crimes are committed, 20 years if the gun is fired and 25 years to life if someone is shot.

Taylor is subject to the "10" level, but aggravated assault is one of three crimes that qualifies for just a three-year minimum sentence. The loophole closes at the "20" level, meaning he could have faced 17 more years in jail if he had fired the gun, even if the shots went nowhere near the victims.

Mandatory minimum laws are fairly common across the country and often controversial. "10-20-Life," for example, appears to have deterred crime, but state attorney Barry Krischer said the 10-year penalty can be "Draconian," according to the Palm Beach Post.

The state attorney's office was not able to confirm whether "10-20-Life" would be applied in Taylor's case. A spokesman said that would be left up to the prosecuting attorney.

The incident occurred Wednesday evening in southern Dade County when Taylor, Charles Elwood Caughman and several other individuals drove up to the two victims and accused them of stealing a pair of all-terrain vehicles. Taylor pointed the gun at the victims. The group drove off and returned about 10 minutes later, at which point Taylor punched one of the victims, and Caughman, wielding a baseball bat, chased the other.

Caughman was arrested later that night. Taylor was at large until Saturday night, when he turned himself in, accompanied by Coral Gables attorney Fred Moldovan.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

hail_redskins is offline Registered User

Hey, at least he did the right thing and turned himself in!

I mean, for all we know he could be like his fellow Miami mates and still be on the run. (I know I would if I shot someone)

Hopefully Sean will just calm down and by age 23, maybe he'll only have shot 3 more people.

PSI'm being sarcastic)

But don't worry, by week 13 or whenever we play you, he'll be out of jail, and knockin your guys out!
    "I'm gonna knock him down, and I'm gonna smile when I do" --- Boobie Miles

"I was so angry, I wanted to go inside, and smash some plates" --- The J Man

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hail_redskins
    But don't worry, by week 13 or whenever we play you, he'll be out of jail, and knockin your guys out!
    I see you are taking this whole incident and brushing it under the rug. I don't think the legal system is going to ignore this, and even if Taylor gets around the legal system, you can't guarantee that Gibbs will let him play. Gibbs has some high standards for his players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]