Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

More on warner returning to the rams

While i appreciate that this sounds crazy, at the end of this season, warner is going to have two choices. Accept the fact that he will be a backup for the rest of his career or retire. He is not going to be a number 1 qb anymore.

If he is willing to be a backup, i would surely love to have him come back and i would be glad to pay decent money to have him.

Here is a point that is badly overlooked IMO when criticizing our front office regarding backup qbs. The complexity of our system. The system is so complex that physical talent alone wont get it done. Chris chandler took a team to a superbowl. He was a pretty effective qb, his main problems were durability, rather than lack of productivity. Meanwhile, despite 17 years in the league, he couldnt learn the system and that led to a number of those INTs last year.

I am a huge martz fan, but one area where i think he deserves real criticism is his failure to alter the play calling when the backup is in the game. You cant fit a square peg into a round hole. Martin doesnt have bulgers arm, cant throw the ball downfield the same way, thus, we should adjust our play calling. That is not what happened last year with chandler.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: More on warner returning to the rams

I'd love for Kurt to come back as a backup. I don't think it would ever happen though.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well GC, as much as I would love to have him starting this week vs the aints instead of My Favorite Martin ; you know the whole Warner vs Bulger issue would pop up again if he were to put up good numbers.

Unfortunately he will never be a Ram again, there's just too much bad karma from the past.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

rebel13 is offline Registered User

What a great scenario....bring back our SUPER BOWL MVP and get rid of Martz!!! Someone should have suggested that 3 years ago.:tongue:

thoey is offline Registered User

Sorry, I am one of the regular Warnerites. I don't want him back. Not now. Not this way. I don't want him to come back and have to step in MB's shadow, under the same scrutiny he has been under by other Rams fans the last two years. We need MB back.

I'll take him back the day before he retires, so he can do it as a Ram.
    This space for rent...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    If he is willing to be a backup
    That's really the key. Is Warner willing to be a back-up? I believe he's made statements that all but confirm he'd rather retire than be a number two guy somewhere, so I'm not sure he'd be willing to take the job.

That doesn't even begin to describe the amount of tension and pressure that would be on the Rams should Warner return. The second Bulger throws an interception, you'd have some fans looking to the sidelines wanting to see Kurt. Heck, some probably wouldn't even wait that long and the phrase "open competition" would reappear the second he signs.

Bottom line is it isn't a good situation for anyone.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Bottom line is it isn't a good situation for anyone.
    I agree with Nick. I appreciate and like Kurt but it would not be a good situation for him to come back.

I think its a shame some people don't give Kurt the full credit he deserves for helping bring us our Super Bowl when a lot of people thought here we go again when Trent Green went down. He had probably the best three year run of any QB ever to wear the horns. People should not look at these statements and try to down grade them because Bulger may never do it. We should be able to say Kurt played great and we may never see that type of offense again. But we should also be able to say we have a good QB now that will still get better as a QB. Warner was the past its over and we have a bright future ahead of us with our current QB.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    He had probably the best three year run of any QB ever to wear the horns.
    Your post is spot on, but I just wanted to say that I believe one could easily make the case that Warner probably had one of the best three year runs of any QB period, let alone those who wore the horns. What we were able to witness as Ram fans from a man playing on our team was nothing short of amazing, as were the performances of those playmakers around him. As fans, we should feel fortunate to have been a part of it, because some franchises haven't experienced it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    I'd love for Kurt to come back as a backup. I don't think it would ever happen though.
    Never say never.I agree with you Zig,but you just never know.I've been a Ram Fan going on 35 years,and some of the stuff I've seen is amazing.Not just being a Rams fan but A football fan in general.I thought Rich Gannon was washed up and couldnt understand why the Raiders signed him,but he took them to the SuperBowl,and that is just a recent example.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Your post is spot on, but I just wanted to say that I believe one could easily make the case that Warner probably had one of the best three year runs of any QB period
    Nick and STL, I'd say that stats would support the point that '99-'01 Warner was the greatest run in the history of time itself. Not since Gundar the caveman threw an oblong rock at the head of Lothar the hill-king has a QB performed at such a high level. And I don't know that we will ever see such a performance again. Here's my take on it.....I'd love nothing more than to see Warner here again. My gut churns everytime I see him in that Cards uniform. And if Ram fans would recognize that we'd be signing post-'01 Warner and not '99-'01 Warner, everything would be fine. However, IMHO there are a lot of fans that would never recognize post-'01 Warner. And not to mention, as stated before, I've never seen where Warner has shown any desire to be a backup.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

CarolinaRam is offline Registered User

I've got to say it, Warner is done. And it is very hard to understand how a man who completely dominated the opponent could have such a quick downward spiral. I was sure that in NY he would have gained his form back. There's all types of arguements for why and how.

But....my question is... When Warner retires, after this season or the next - whenever it may be, should the Rams sign him to a one-day contract so he can retire as a Ram? Do you think the Rams would do that?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Some quick observations on this.

1. Marshall isn't the Marshall of 99-01. That was a huge plus for Warner. Some say Warner took an MVP away from Marshall. I don't know, MVP is speculative anyway.

2. Bruce has slowed down also.

3. We can all agree that Bulger is just a little mor mobile than Warner, and we all comment every week how often Bulger is hit. I don't think it has anything to do with his release, I think it's more so that the plays take a little longer to develop due to defenses making their adjustments to Martz.

4. You really want to put Warner behind this O-line? Wow, some of you must really hate the guy. If he would be behind this O line, it would be a good thing Brenda is a nurse.

Not a very good fit at all. Warner's best bet is the Silver and Black of the Raiders.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -10-21-2005 at 10:17 AM.

thoey is offline Registered User

TX, I think his best fit is to retire, but not until he has signed a 1 day deal to do it as a Ram. The last thing he had to prove was that he wasn't done. I don't think he has been able to do that.
    This space for rent...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Warner's best bet is the Silver and Black of the Raiders.
    Don't even think it!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

ahhhh, c'mon mike....chucking the ball to Moss. Wow, what a dichotomy of terms that would be. I swear Warner would turn into a Billy Joel song. Instead of going to Rev Ike, he would be going to the devil imp Moss himself. "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

Thoey, it just takes a certain O line for the type of QB Warner is. The Raiders have the best O line in the league. One thing about Warner, put him in the right fit with the right tools and he'll make a winner out of a few teams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast