Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Mortensen: Martz the reason for O-line coach being fired?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen appeared on 1270 WXYT AM talking about the Lions. He believes if JaMarcus Russell goes No. 1 overall to the Raiders, which is a very real possibility, the Lions will likely take Brady Quinn, Michigan DT Alan Branch, but he said they won't look at Calvin Johnson. He does not believe Joe Thomas is a Top 3 talent. They obviously could trade down, too. Normally it's very difficult to find trading partners when you have one of the top picks, but this year the draft is so top-heavy that it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, he said Mike Martz must have committed to returning to the Lions. Otherwise, they wouldn't have fired Larry Beightol, one of the Top 5 offensive line coaches in the NFL. It's rumored that he had a personality clash with Martz. In the end he said "We'll see" whether Martz will be a head coach.
    Link

It would appear the name "Martz" and the phrase "personality clash" go hand in hand nowadays.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Mortensen: Martz the reason for O-line coach being fired?

Mike Martz is certainly a colorful character....Wonder how gets along with the hated Matt Millan. M&M & M&M ? Colorful indeed!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I certainly haven't heard anything substantial about Martz being considered or interviewed for a HC spot. I keep thinking that Oakland would be a perfect spot for Martz to take over. They have a pretty good DC already in Ryan and as crazy as it sounds, they have a lot of pieces on offense for Martz to work with.

As far as Martz getting the OLC fired, anything's possible but Martz's system is very particular. Putting the Hogs in there and trying to run his passing game wouldn't work. It really surprizes me if Martz has agreed to stay on as OC. Maybe he isn't ready to, or decided that he doesn't want to be a HC?

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Martz was interested in the Arizona State HC job but they weren't interested in him. Here read this from December 29:

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Mike Martz will be back as the Lions' offensive coordinator next season.

Definitely.

Maybe.

Sorry, but that's about as concrete as we can be after listening to Martz's Q&A with reporters Thursday.

QUESTION: What about your future, Mike?

ANSWER: "Shoot. I'm here."

Q: Are you going to be here next year?

A: "Oh, sure. Yeah. I feel certain that I'll be here. Who knows? But I feel like that'll happen. We've got a lot of work to do here. This is going to be a great thing when this thing gets turned."

Q: Do you have to leave open the possibility of leaving in case a good job opens up?

A: "I think everybody does that. I feel very fortunate to be here in this position."

Q: Are you taking yourself out of the running for other opportunities?

A: "No. I don't think anybody would do that. Those are hypothetical situations. It's hard to talk about something like that, really. ... I'm very happy with where I am and what I'm doing."

My first thought is: What is Martz supposed to say? If he states that he's coming back and then leaves, he's a liar. At least he's being honest.

My second thought is: Where is Martz going to go? It looks like there won't be that many head coaching jobs opening up in the off-season, and Martz still carries some of the baggage he picked up in St. Louis. His offense ranks sixth in passing, but last in rushing and 24th overall. He still might be viewed as a pass-happy mad man instead of an offensive genius.

My third thought is: What's the hurry? Martz still has enough cachet to be choosy. He doesn't have to jump at, say, the Oakland job if the Raiders fire Art Shell. He can wait for the right opportunity to come along. If San Diego gets rid of Marty Schottenheimer and wants him, he can go. The Chargers have a ton of offensive talent, and he lives in San Diego. But he doesn't need a rebuilding project. He already has one.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

can you imagine Martz in San Diego, that offense would be amazing.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

"Oh, sure. Yeah. I feel certain that I'll be here. Who knows?
    He feels certain, but who know's? Classic Martzspeak.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Why anyone would want him as an HC I'll never know...until he relearns the fundamentals of football and coaching, he should never be more than an OC

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I certainly haven't heard anything substantial about Martz being considered or interviewed for a HC spot. I keep thinking that Oakland would be a perfect spot for Martz to take over. They have a pretty good DC already in Ryan and as crazy as it sounds, they have a lot of pieces on offense for Martz to work with.

As far as Martz getting the OLC fired, anything's possible but Martz's system is very particular. Putting the Hogs in there and trying to run his passing game wouldn't work. It really surprizes me if Martz has agreed to stay on as OC. Maybe he isn't ready to, or decided that he doesn't want to be a HC?
    He turned down the HC job at Oakland last year. (Martz and about 4 other guys) I disagree about Martz and the Raiders being a "perfect fit". In fact, I can't see it as anything but an absolutely imperfect fit. I can't imagine Mike and Al getting along at all. There's NO way Mike would work for Al Davis. Can you imagine Al trying to tell Mike how to run his offense, which is exactly what Elvis (I mean, AL) does to all his HC's. That's two huge ego's in one small stadium. It wouldn't work. And as another member said, I can't see anyone offering Mike Martz an HC job. WHY? He sucked at it in Stl, what has he done to make anyone think anything has changed? He's an OC, and that's about it.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't see that the Raiders have any offensive pieces in place. The Raiders are a complete nightmare.

And as another member said, I can't see anyone offering Mike Martz an HC job. WHY? He sucked at it in Stl, what has he done to make anyone think anything has changed? He's an OC, and that's about it.
    Like it or not, and I've argued against the point quite a bit in my time, but Martz's resume' is pretty good on paper. The reason I think he would fit in Oakland is because of how disfunctional they are. The try so hard to not make penalties and do things the right way and where does it get them? They're continually the most penalized team in the NFL, don't win games anymore and have to look for another HC this year.

Martz's devil-may-care attitude toward penalties and turnovers seems like a perfect fit to me. If the team is going to be making those mistakes anyway, they're going to need the thunder to overcome them. Martz's offense is high risk/high reward and has a vertical passing element to it to the nth degree. It was time for him to move on from the Rams but he could be good for a franchise that's desperate for any kind of help. Fundamentals and patience(Shell) don't seem to be the answer.

I will give you Davis and Martz probably not being able to coexist but I honestly think Martz has changed in some ways so who knows?
    I don't see that the Raiders have any offensive pieces in place. The Raiders are a complete nightmare.
    I don't watch the Raiders enough to know all of their in's and out's but Jordan, Curry, Moss and a couple of other guys looked to have enough talent to succeed in my opinion. The Qb spot is an utter mess and I would dump Brooks, Walter and Tuissisopo and just start over but they do have some talent on offense. Putting it together in a system that utilizes the talent is the real trick.

I think Martz would be great for Moss too. He revitalized Isaac Bruce's career and I could see him doing the same for Randy. Now, I don't think Randy and Ike are similar in terms of personality but Bruce was pretty disheartened and unmotivated in '97 and '98. In that regard, I see similarities with what Moss is going through. He's an ass, but he's got the talent to excel. Put him in a WR friendly system(Martz) and I think he would reestablish himself as a premiere wr.

The reason I think he would fit in Oakland is because of how disfunctional they are.
    Honestly, I think that's the exact reason why Martz wouldn't be a good fit in Oakland.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Martz and Al Davis? big no

So, who would actually "fit" in Oakland? I'm willing to bet that the list of candidates that get along with Al Davis is pretty short and of that list, few match up to Martz and his resume'.

Essentially, I don't see any coach having a harmonious existance with Al Davis. That being the case, the Raiders need a coach that can come in and get quick results. I can't say that Martz would deliver but I think he brings the possibility.

But again, which candidate out there is "right" for Oakland?

But again, which candidate out there is "right" for Oakland?
    It's hard to say. I just don't believe after his problems in St. Louis that Mike Martz would be a good fit in an organization with clear front office issues. I also don't see Martz's system having any kind of success in Oakland unless the offensive line is completely overhauled, which he likely won't be able to do immediately. The question then becomes can he perform well enough to buy himself enough time to accomplish that... in the end I just don't think it works.