Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Moss Could Be Wearing A Different Shade Of Purple

Moss Could Be Wearing A Different Shade Of Purple
    The Vikings may trade star Wide Receiver Randy Moss.

According to Chris Mortenson of ESPN, a Vikings source says it is 60/40 that the team will trade the receiver. Moss is not on the market yet because owner Red McCombs is trying to sell the club prior to the Super Bowl.

One possible destination for Moss is the Baltimore Ravens, whose trade for Terrell Owens last offseason fell through. Ravens Coach Brian Billick has a history with Moss when he was Offensive Coordinator in Minnesota.

In an article by Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jensen notes a trade would save the Vikings nearly $2 million in salary-cap space. They also would wipe Moss' $7.25 million salary off the books. The Vikings already have paid the $18 million in guaranteed bonuses as part of his original eight-year, $75 million contract. Over the four remaining seasons, Moss is owed $36.5 million in salary, which would give a new team two options:

The new team could accept his $7.5 million base salary for 2005 and reassess him the following offseason, when it would have the option of releasing him with no salary-cap penalty.

If they need cap space, they could lower his cap number by converting his $7.5 million base salary into a signing bonus and paying him the veteran's minimum of $665,000. His cap number then would be nearly $2.4 million, a $5 million savings.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

elAcky Guest

Re: Moss Could Be Wearing A Different Shade Of Purple

maybe we should move in and try and gazump the vikings by offering baltimore one of our receivers

That's an interesting proposition. If we did want to try and offer up a trade to Baltimore, perhaps we could convince them to tag-and-trade Hartwell so we don't have to deal with competing bids in free agency. Interesting idea, although I'm not sure what receiver I'd trade (not Bruce or Holt, and not sure if McDonald or Curtis would get much interest, so...).

ramhard is offline Registered User

I would trade Bruce

I would trade Bruce and a 3rd, for Moss, and then try to get Hartwell in sign and trade for McDonald plus low pick like 6th. There is no way to afford Holt/Bruce and Moss too much $$$ tied up in one position, not to mention getting them the ball. Having Holt and Moss with Curtis as the three and Furrey/low draft at four is a good set of receivers and much better in the red zone. With the injury, I think it is a sign that Bruce will start slowing up dramatically over the next year or so. The only downside is that Bruce is a cornerstone of the franchise but didn't the Patriots think that about Lawyer Milloy?
    Last edited by ramhard; -01-26-2005 at 05:47 PM. Reason: wrong info

Re: I would trade Bruce

I'd really prefer to have Bruce over Moss. I don't see much of a point for trading for Moss, to be honest with you.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Moss? Moss? :bored:

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

It would be smart for the Vikings from a team standpoint because he has cost them games. However, he is a draw that would cost them lost money in tickets and jerseys. I don't know how well he would fit in with Baltimore. I can't see them giving up very much for him though.

Rams aren't going to trade any WR's, period.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions