Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Ndamukong Suh named Pepsi Rookie of the Year

The Pepsi Rookie of the Year award went to Lions DT Ndamukong Suh.
    He beat out St. Louis Rams QB Sam Bradford for the league's unofficial ROY award, voted on by the fans.
    When will people learn...democracy doesn't work. Just kidding.
    It's hard to deny that Suh had a huge impact on the Lions this season and that he's a one of a kind talent. The defensive tackles in the 2011 NFL Draft just don't compare.
    However, Bradford made a pretty big impact with the Rams this season too. Maybe I'm just biased, but it seems unlikely that 7-9 would have been possible without him. Bradford set records for passes attempted and completed by a rookie. His 60 percent completion rate is the fourth highest among all rookie QBs who started 10 games or more. And his 3,512 passing yards are the third most for a rookie. He 18 TDs tie him for the fourth most by a rookie.

This just made all that voting I did worthless, I voted for a few hours straight. I will forever hate suh.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ndamukong Suh named Pepsi Rookie of the Year

No big deal. Bradford will run away with the Offensive Rookie of the Year. Comparing him to Suh is ultimately apples vs. oranges.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Report: Suh wins Pepsi Rookie of the Year

Per rotoworld
    Lions DT Ndamukong Suh was named the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year for the 2010 season.
    The Pepsi award involves fan voting. The AP Rookie of the Year award carries far more weight and will be announced Friday. Suh recorded a sack in each of his first two games on his way to 10 for the season, just a half-sack short of setting the NFL record for rookie defensive tackles. Suh also became just the first rookie defensive tackle to be selected first-team All-Pro since 1951 when the AP went to separate offensive and defensive teams. As a dominant defensive building block, Suh is a major reason why the Lions' prospects are looking up entering the 2011 offseason.
    STOPPPPPPPPPPPPP! What a freakin' joke. I hope this makes Bradford even hungrier for next season than he already is. Fans are crazy.

He better be respected by the AP.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Re: Report: Suh wins Pepsi Rookie of the Year

Meh. I get it..I mean, Suh had a great year for a DT (regardless of rookie status), went to the Pro Bowl etc. So I understand that..these voters aren't factoring in what he means for the future of the team etc. In the end, the Rams and their fans will have the last laugh. DT's don't lead you to the Super Bowl.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I will forever hate suh.
    Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    STOPPPPPPPPPPPPP! What a freakin' joke.
    Yes, how dare he also have success! Suh is a phenomenal player and, as a rookie, had what would be a career season for many veterans in this league. He's certainly not unworthy of recognition for what he accomplished in his rookie season, so I don't know why some Rams fans seem to take such an issue with it.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-03-2011 at 04:38 PM.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yes, how dare he also have success. Suh is a phenomenal player and, as a rookie, had what would be a career season for many veterans in this league. He's certainly not unworthy of recognition for what he accomplished in his rookie season.
    Did I say anywhere he was undeserving of the award because I didn't......

I simply stated I hated suh. Reason being I wanted Sam to win this award all year and he was deserving of it. Then add on the fact that Suh is cocky I just overall hate the guy.

Yes suh had a good year but look at what Sam has to work with and he broke alot of rookie records for a QB. He broke some of peytons records with no one at WR. Sam did the impossible and brought us back into playoff contention within one year of him being here.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If it makes you feel better, of the two, who do you think is more likely to one day win the NFL MVP award?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I obviously was hoping our Sam would get the award, mainly to bring a bit of good media the way of the St.Louis Rams. Apart from that, it doesnt mean ditto really. In all honesty, Suh in NFL terms, was the best player. What I do take from this was, it took a once in a decade type of athlete to beat out our fine young QB. In fact Suh may well be better than a once in a decade type player.?

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I was also hoping Sam would win, but congrats to Suh. He had a heck of a year and is deserving of the award.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jockelite is offline Registered User

Ehh I like Root Beer more then pepsi anyway... But seriously these awards mean nothing to me the only thing that matters is which one of these players will help their team win the most superbowls. Thats all that matters to me.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Just wait till Bradford stands tall with the Lombardi Trophy on his grasp. It'll make Suh want to throw his Rookie of the Year award out of the window when we beat them in an NFC Championship matchup.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

You could make a case for either of them. Bradford was a big part of our team's turnaround and had one of the best rookie seasons in recent memory. Suh's intangible effect on his team might not have been as substantial as Bradford's, but Suh was also among the best at his position, level of experience not withstanding.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Did I say anywhere he was undeserving of the award because I didn't......

I simply stated I hated suh. Reason being I wanted Sam to win this award all year and he was deserving of it.
    Well, first, you weren't the only person I was responding to. But yes, when you make comments like, "Reason being I wanted Sam to win this award all year and he was deserving of it," it implies, perhaps unintentionally, that others were not.

Then add on the fact that Suh is cocky I just overall hate the guy.

Yes suh had a good year but look at what Sam has to work with and he broke alot of rookie records for a QB. He broke some of peytons records with no one at WR. Sam did the impossible and brought us back into playoff contention within one year of him being here.
    First, Suh really isn't cocky. He's actually a pretty humble guy. For example, here's what he said after being named to the All-Pro team: "To be the only rookie speaks volumes about the help I got from my teammates — especially on the defensive line — and my coaches."

Second, yes, Sam broke some rookie QB records. It's a great accomplishment, and speaks to his talent and potential in this league. But it's still in the context of rookie QB production. When compared to veterans this season, his numbers were middle of the pack or below average.

Suh, however, was one of if not the top player at his position (4-3 DT) this season; saying he had a "good year" is a huge understatement. Suh led all NFL DTs in sacks (10) and I believe tackles as well (66 or thereabouts). These are numbers that most veteran players haven't achieved and the best rarely achieve. And this was at a position that many said would be difficult or impossible to contribute early.

Of course, we're talking about the Pepsi Rookie of the Year award, which is a fan vote online. The fact that you acknowledge spending hours at a time just voting illustrates the flaws in the system in terms of being considered a legitimate measurement.

But there's a reason Suh's accolades as a rookie have gone beyond that, from being the Sporting News RotY, voted into the Pro Bowl, and being the first Lions rookie since Barry Sanders to be on the AP All-Pro team. There's no question that Bradford, as a quarterback, is of more importance to his team and can have a bigger impact on the organization's success. That's the nature of the position. But in terms of accomplishments and production on the field, Ndakukong Suh was simply incredible this season.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-03-2011 at 08:58 PM.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

damn you guys! You didnt vote on that link i posted like i did 400 times!!! lol anyways I love Suh and am glad if anyone else won the award it is Suh! I'm actually a Suh fan and followed him last season as well.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't like Suh at all, and do think he's cocky, but I see no problem with him getting rookie of the year. He was a dominating force right out of the gate and had a great rookie season. I still think Bradford did more to earn it, especially with the obstacles in his way and the enormous weight on his shoulders, but I'm not going lose any sleep over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast