Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Ndamukong Suh named Pepsi Rookie of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Well, first, you weren't the only person I was responding to. But yes, when you make comments like, "Reason being I wanted Sam to win this award all year and he was deserving of it," it implies, perhaps unintentionally, that others were not.

First, Suh really isn't cocky. He's actually a pretty humble guy. For example, here's what he said after being named to the All-Pro team: "To be the only rookie speaks volumes about the help I got from my teammates ó especially on the defensive line ó and my coaches."

Second, yes, Sam broke some rookie QB records. It's a great accomplishment, and speaks to his talent and potential in this league. But it's still in the context of rookie QB production. When compared to veterans this season, his numbers were middle of the pack or below average.

Suh, however, was one of if not the top player at his position (4-3 DT) this season; saying he had a "good year" is a huge understatement. Suh led all NFL DTs in sacks (10) and I believe tackles as well (66 or thereabouts). These are numbers that most veteran players haven't achieved and the best rarely achieve. And this was at a position that many said would be difficult or impossible to contribute early.

Of course, we're talking about the Pepsi Rookie of the Year award, which is a fan vote online. The fact that you acknowledge spending hours at a time just voting illustrates the flaws in the system in terms of being considered a legitimate measurement.

But there's a reason Suh's accolades as a rookie have gone beyond that, from being the Sporting News RotY, voted into the Pro Bowl, and being the first Lions rookie since Barry Sanders to be on the AP All-Pro team. There's no question that Bradford, as a quarterback, is of more importance to his team and can have a bigger impact on the organization's success. That's the nature of the position. But in terms of accomplishments and production on the field, Ndakukong Suh was simply incredible this season.
    Well first off I never said that no other person was qualified for the award I simply stated that Sam was deserving of the award.

Secondly I am not the only one that thinks he is a cocky player. You have to look no further than the fumble he picked up and was tryin to celebrate before he even got in to the endzone and almost had it taken away.

Sam's play may have still been in the realm of rookie qb production. But your talking about top qb production. He was high if not in the top of every category. He broke the record for completions with a int and set the bar for on the road win with 300 yards and 3 td's. So to me with the talent or lack there of around Sam was not very good.

The sporting news and pepsi rookie of the years are both voting based so I really just wanted Sam to get some credit from the fans and from the players for what he did do.

So if I go by your theroy of something you say means something else. You saying "Ndakukong Suh was simply incredible this season" you are unintentionally saying that no one else played incredible this season. And to me Sam played incredible for being a rookie and with the weapons he had to work with which was very little.

ram3057 is offline Registered User

Come on, since when does a defensive player beat out a QB ??
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

It's a fan vote that you can vote for as many times as you like. Who really cares who wins in something like that?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Well first off I never said that no other person was qualified for the award I simply stated that Sam was deserving of the award.
    Fair enough, moving on...

Secondly I am not the only one that thinks he is a cocky player. You have to look no further than the fumble he picked up and was tryin to celebrate before he even got in to the endzone and almost had it taken away.
    Whether you're alone or there are others, it seems to be a minority opinion. Suh has been and is regarded as a mature individual. It was a common part of his scouting reports coming out last season.

Quoting NFL Draft Scout's analysis on Suh as a prospect, "Intelligent, low-key and mature. Suh became a vocal leader for the Huskers as a senior. Has improved his work habits and on-field toughness during his time in Lincoln. He's respected by teammates and looked up to by the younger players."

Another quote from Suh himself, this time coming from an AP article shortly after the draft: "'I was No. 2 coming out of college. Now, I'm back to ground zero,' he said humbly. 'So, I've got to build myself back up.'"

Heck, quoting the Rams' own Steven Jackson in late February of last year: "But I'm definitely a fan of Ndamukong Suh. I hear he's a great person, his family is unbelievable, and he's definitely an impact player."

Suggesting he's cocky because he celebrated making a big play for his team seems weak, especially in the face of examples to the contrary. It would be interesting to see what great Rams players would be mislabeled as being cocky, using that standard.

Sam's play may have still been in the realm of rookie qb production. But your talking about top qb production. He was high if not in the top of every category. He broke the record for completions with a int and set the bar for on the road win with 300 yards and 3 td's. So to me with the talent or lack there of around Sam was not very good.
    So if I go by your theroy of something you say means something else. You saying "Ndakukong Suh was simply incredible this season" you are unintentionally saying that no one else played incredible this season. And to me Sam played incredible for being a rookie and with the weapons he had to work with which was very little.
    But again, the difference is you're viewing Sam's production through the limited criteria of comparing it to other rookie quarterbacks. When compared to other rookie quarterbacks, Sam was one of the best. But when compared to veteran quarterbacks, his production (20th-ranked completion %; 30th-ranked YPA & YPC; 18th-ranked TDs & 25th-ranked TD %; 25th-ranked QB rating) is middle of the pack or worse.

I'm not suggesting Bradford had an awful year. Quite the contrary, he exceeded my expectations and I agree with you that his production in 2010 was very good, for a rookie. But that's the necessary qualifier: for a rookie. Suh's rookie season was so good, you don't need that qualifier. That's the distinction - Bradford's production was great for a player at his position in his first year, but Suh's production was great for a player at his position in any year.

It'll be a moot point in 24 hours though, because Sam will more than likely get his recognition as AP Offensive Rookie of the Year tomorrow evening.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not sure why anybody would be upset about this. As much as I love Sam, there was absolutely no way he was gonna beat out Suh so I didn't bother voting. Sam had an unbelievable year for a ROOKIE QB. Suh had an unbelievable year for a PRO BOWL DT. Suh did better than any other defensive tackle in the league this year in my opinion. He just came out from day one and simply dominated. Sam did terrific and we all realize that but he didn't play on a pro bowl level like Suh. I still obviously think Sam was the better pick and will pay off in the long run but damn did Suh dominate or what?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I never think any award should ever be voted on by fans, who sometimes make great picks, and sometimes make boneheaded ones.

For instance when 3 Sharks players managed to be voted starters for the NHL all-star game. Fan voting ruins it for me.

That said, you can't say Suh doesn't deserve it.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

Suh deserves whatever credit comes his way, hes a fantastic player with a bright future. This takes nothing away from Bradford. It may also be worth considering that Qbs are under the microscope much more than DTs.. its easy to tell when a QB makes a mistake, not so easy with a player in the trenches. Not that Suh made many.
    Defence Wins Championships

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I think we are all missing the real rookie of the year.

Mardy gilyard.

rbbrewer1 is offline Registered User

Waht a rigged election1 Sam bradford should have won hands down

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

Obviously, the fans in Detroit have a lot more time on their hands to punch the vote machine........

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

As a follow-up, Ndamukong Suh has also won the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year, claiming all but two votes...

Ndamukong Suh wins AP defensive rookie of the year
    By Dave Birkett
    Detroit Free Press Sports Writer
    9:18 PM, Feb. 4, 2011

DALLAS -- Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh completed his sweep of Rookie of the Year awards today, winning Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

The Lionsí first-year defensive tackle took 48 of 50 first-place votes. Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty received the other two.

Suh is the seventh Lions player named rookie of the year -- most by any franchise since the AP began handing out separate awards for offensive and defensive players in 1967 -- and the first since Barry Sanders in 1989.

Al (Bubba) Baker (1978) and Lem Barney (1967) are the only other Lions to win the defensive award.

Suh led all interior linemen with 10 sacks, a Lions rookie record, and finished the season with 66 tackles and a fumble returned for a touchdown.

He also won the Pepsi Rookie of the Year fan vote on Thursday and the Sporting News Rookie of the Year in a vote by players last month.

ďIt has definitely been incredible," Suh, in a release, said of his season. "I compare it to my senior year at Nebraska, being able to go on those award tours and being up for the Heisman. Even though I didnít win, it was an honor to be there. This is the same type of situation. I am really just soaking it in. It is eye opening. I feel truly blessed. I canít thank my family, friends and teammates enough."

Suh is only the sixth defensive tackle to win the award since 1967 and the first since Tim Bowens of the Dolphins in 1994.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12