Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Ndamukong Suh Thread

We made one for Glenn Dorsey to keep track of important news about him, so let's do one for Suh as well since he was a popular choice among the fan base. Here's an article from the World Herald Bureau regarding Suh signing with the Lions...

LINCOLN — Don't look for Ndamukong Suh to be signing soon with the Detroit Lions, but agent Eugene Parker says that's more a statement on the process than the particulars involving the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft.

It might even be close to training camp before the former Nebraska defensive tackle has a completed contract.

“Typically what happens,” Parker said, “is when there's a sense of urgency by both parties, things get done.”

Suh is going through his second week of organized team activities with the Lions. Parker and Roosevelt Barnes of Maximum Sports Management, meanwhile, are setting the foundation for what will be a lucrative contract for the 2009 Associated Press national college player of the year.

The No. 2 pick in last year's draft, offensive tackle Jason Smith, signed a six-year, $61.775 million contract with St. Louis, which included $33 million guaranteed.

So what will Suh command? “We don't talk about any of that until the deal is done,” Parker said. “That's just the best way to go about it.

“We've had conversations. It would be safe to say the parties are communicating. We have had and we are having communications.”

Parker said there are elements to contracts that can be worked through in advance — “as far as structure, as far as language, as far as things that might be important to them that might not be a problem to us, and vice versa.”

“So you can at least open up some dialogue and get some of that stuff out of the way,” he said. “And sometimes these things take quick turns. Sometimes things seem like they're going along slowly, and then in a matter of hours you make substantial headway.”

Only about a dozen NFL picks have signed in the five weeks since the draft. No first-rounders have signed. Parker said the Suh camp isn't waiting to see what happens with No. 1 pick Sam Bradford, a quarterback taken by St. Louis, or No. 3 pick Gerald McCoy, a defensive tackle selected by Tampa Bay.

“I can't say the information isn't relevant, but we look at Ndamukong as his own person,” Parker said. “We do a deal based on him. You look at a lot of factors, so I can't say those would be irrelevant, but we're not necessarily waiting on them. They might be waiting on us.”

NFL rules require Suh to be signed before he can take part in training camp with Detroit, which opens July 31. He recently told the Detroit News that one reason he chose Barnes and Parker was that they understood he wanted to come into camp on time.

“I'm not a guy that likes to be a part of drama,” Suh said. “I definitely don't want to hold out.”

Barnes and Parker last year represented San Francisco first-round pick Michael Crabtree during a holdout that lasted until Oct. 7. But Parker said each negotiation is different, and you go in “prepared for anything and expecting the best.”

“The goal is to get him done, whatever it takes,” Parker said. “Get a fair deal for him and get him compensated based on his value. That's our focus. How tough or how easy, that's not even something we think about.”

The Lions have efficiently signed a pair of No. 2 picks in recent seasons, with Charles Rogers missing no time in 2003 and Calvin Johnson out for only a few days of training camp in 2007. They had No. 1 overall pick Matthew Stafford inked before the draft in 2009.

Suh already has spent some of his money: He announced at the Nebraska spring game last month that he was donating $2.6 million to the university — $2 million for the Huskers' strength program and $600,000 for NU's college of engineering to endow a scholarship.

Parker said the generous move by his client didn't surprise him.

“It's just consistent with who he is,” he said. “He's a special guy in a lot of ways. He wanted to give back to a school and a community that was an important part of his life.”

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: The Ndamukong Suh Thread

Suh gotta command at least a significant amount more than what the Rams' Smith got last year. Wonder if a hold out will be involved for Suh as his rookie season approaches.
    He wouldn't pull a JaMarcus Russell would he?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Where is TakeSuh when you need him?

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Suh already has spent some of his money: He announced at the Nebraska spring game last month that he was donating $2.6 million to the university — $2 million for the Huskers' strength program and $600,000 for NU's college of engineering to endow a scholarship.

That alone has to be an indicator that he will sign.

J Way Guest

I hope this isn't another Michael Crabtree situation, where he thinks he deserves #1 money.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by J Way View Post
    I hope this isn't another Michael Crabtree situation, where he thinks he deserves #1 money.
    I don't think Suh would let that happen. I don't think he'll miss much camp, if he misses any.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by J Way View Post
    Why?! Can't say I'd be the least upset if Suh holds out, esp if it lasts past week #5 when the Rams take on Detroit.

Btw, what does it say about the student athlete college experience that Suh donated $2 mill for gym equipment and only $600 grand for his actual major's dept.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Why?! Can't say I'd be the least upset if Suh holds out, esp if it lasts past week #5 when the Rams take on Detroit.

Btw, what does it say about the student athlete college experience that Suh donated $2 mill for gym equipment and only $600 grand for his actual major's dept.
    ummm the gym stunk and needed more free weights and elipticals?

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I'm not sure it says anything, to be honest with you. The guy was a heralded college player and one of if not the top prospect in college football in this draft, and the Nebraska athletic department helped him get there.

What does it say about his college experience that he donated more for gym equipment than for the college of engineering? The fact that he donated a significant amount to both shows he's grateful for both, but I'm pretty sure what he accomplished athletically at Nebraska will probably have a bigger effect on his career than his degree in construction management.

Lions' Ndamukong Suh, despite being best player in draft, still has question marks
    Published: Friday, July 09, 2010, 5:58 AM
    By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK - The plan is to turn rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh into a moving target. Because the Detroit Lions expect him to be such a disruptive force on the line - against both the run and pass - they want to line him up in different positions so the offense has to make constant adjustments.

So far, there have been nothing but rave reviews for Suh, from his dominating performances in college to his focus and non-stop motor during the off-season workouts. Suh has several of the traits a team looks for in a dominant type player on the inside - great lower body strength, excellent hands, a certain nastiness and laser-like focus. Suh appears to be exceptional in those categories.

Despite being the second overall pick in the draft - and probably the most solid can't-miss prospect of the bunch - Suh has some question marks.

One, his weight. While he showed that he could get up to 307 pounds during the scouting combine, he's dropped back to 295 and he said that's probably where he'll play at. By the end of the season, he'll likely drop to 290 or so. That's not a problem in the Big 12 Conference but it can be an issue when you're playing 16 games and constantly facing double-teams and getting cut.

The Lions believe that Suh's excellent body control and balance will make him a tough guy for offensive linemen to cut. If you dive at his feet too soon - or without good technique - Suh could be coming free. He's already shown the speed to run down plays from behind.

The second issue is the money. Suh has made no bones about the face that he loves the money and that hardly separates him from every other guy on the planet. Suh, though, will be signing a contract worth at least $60 million and about half of that will be guaranteed. The issue isn't the money itself but how it might change a 23-year-old man. The Lions don't think Suh's motives or desire will be affected.

By all accounts, Suh is one of those players who believes that being a high draft pick and an instant millionaire is just the beginning of his football career, not the end of it. (A guy like JaMarcus Russell, for instance, would be at the other end of the spectrum).

Finally, Suh's greatest challenge might be the NFL's track record. On average, rookie defensive linemen simply don't do too well in their rookie seasons. There are exceptions, of course, and the Lions certainly hope Suh is one of them. But, if he isn't, the Lions are prepared for that possibility and, just as importantly, they know that Suh won't be damaged by the high expectations.

Face it, every Lions fan wants to see a Texas-like performance out of Suh in every game - like that 4 1/2-sack effort he had in the Big 12 championship game. Suh appears to have all the tools to be an effective playmaker in the NFL but it's not likely to happen in his first season as he learns how to play the position at this level. He's going to make some big plays, but a little patience will be required. It might not be granted, but it might be necessary.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Lions' Ndamukong Suh, despite being best player in draft, still has question marks
    Published: Friday, July 09, 2010, 5:58 AM
    By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK - The plan is to turn rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh into a moving target.
    I found a follow up to this....
    Lions' Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan was quoted as saying "he's the greatest tight end I've ever coached."
    Interesting development in Detroit.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Not related to his upcoming NFL career, but this news was interesting nonetheless...

Suh leading ex-Huskers into state hall of fame
    Published: 12:03 p.m., Friday, July 9, 2010

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Standout defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh (en-DAHM'-eh-ken SOO') and seven other Huskers will be added to the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame this year.

Suh won the Outland, Lombardi, Nagurski and Bednarik awards and was a Heisman finalist for his play last season.

Because of his national recognition, Suh didn't have to wait the minimum 10 years to be considered for selection.

Joining him will be former Huskers Dan Alexander, Steve Lindquist, Todd Millikan, Ed Periard, Bob Pickens, Carlos Polk and Chris Spachman.

From smaller Nebraska colleges, new Hall of Fame members will be Mike Sallier of Doane College and Noland Urban of Nebraska Wesleyan.

All 10 will be inducted on Sept. 3 and honored at Memorial Stadium when Nebraska plays Western Kentucky.

Source: Detroit Lions expect Ndamukong Suh signing today
    By CARLOS MONARREZ
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
    Posted: 10:47 a.m. July 31, 2010

The Lions are closing in on a deal and expect to sign defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh today, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations.

Suh, the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft, is the team’s only remaining draft pick without a contract. He cannot report to training camp for today’s opening practice at 3 p.m. at Allen Park until he signs a deal with the Lions.

There were many signings among the first-round picks Friday, including St. Louis quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick. Bradford agreed to a six-year, $78-million deal Friday night. His deal likely will set the ceiling and establish a pay slot for Suh.
    There's talk on Twitter by some who report on the Lions that Detroit and Suh were dotting i's and crossing t's right before the Gerald McCoy contract came in, and that's caused them to kind of pause and review his deal before finalizing things. But it sounds like it should be coming some time today, will be interesting to compare his contract with McCoy's and Bradford's when it's all said and done.

emuen is online now Registered User

Published: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 5:45 PM
    Updated: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 9:16 PM
    Tom Kowalski
    ALLEN PARK -- To be perfectly honest, the first time I heard it, I didn't believe it. Then, I heard it again and again.

The rumor that won't die is that Ndamukong Suh, the second overall pick in the draft by the Detroit Lions, wants more than the $50 million in guaranteed money that was paid to Sam Bradford, who was the first overall pick.

At this point, it's just a rumor and can't be confirmed.

Suh's agent, Eugene Parker, will not return any messages. Lions president Tom Lewand won't talk specifics about negotiations. However, during an interview with reporters Saturday, Lewand did say -- perhaps cryptically -- that "it takes both sides to get a deal done.''

Maybe it meant nothing. But there has to be reason that Suh is still unsigned long after Bradford and Gerald McCoy, the third overall pick, have signed contracts. What should be a relatively easy slotting process hasn't materialized. A report earlier Saturday that Suh was close to signing a deal was erroneous.

Things can change in a hurry but, as of now, there's nothing cooking.

UPDATE: On second thought, I don't know why I didn't believe this might be happening. The day after Suh was drafted, I saw the potential of this coming and pointedly asked him this question about a possible holdout: "You're not expecting to be paid like the No. 1 player then?"

Suh said at the time: "I feel like being paid and, as coach (Jim) Schwartz said, he feels I'm the best player in college football, and I think they understand that. I don't think it'll be a problem.''

Later in that interview, he said, "It has to do with both parties, and my understanding is the Lions see me as the best player in the draft and college football, as coach Schwartz said. I don't think it's going to be a problem at all.'

Lions, Ndamukong Suh still at impasse
    By CARLOS MONARREZ
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
    Posted: 9:23 a.m. Aug. 1, 2010

Defensive tackle and No. 2 overall pick Ndamukong Suh missed his second practice and remained without a contract when the Lions began their second day of training camp this morning at Allen Park.

Suh and the Lions remain at an impasse over his contract, despite the Nos. 1 and 3 picks already having signed deals.

Contract talks were expected to speed up after the signing of No. 1 pick Sam Bradford on Friday night and No. 3 pick Gerald McCoy on Saturday morning. Bradford, a quarterback, received a six-year, $78-million deal from St. Louis. McCoy, a defensive end, got a five-year, $63-million deal with Tampa Bay.

The Lions will hold another practice at 3:15 today. Suh cannot join the team for practice until he signs his contract.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast