Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Ndamukong Suh's facemask against Jake Delhomme

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Fair enough, we can agree to disagree here.

That's the thing about defensive linemen. Their contributions don't always show up on the stat sheet. I believe Suh was credited with a single tackle against the Broncos, but one Detroit Free Press writer wrote that he "lived in Denver's backfield for most of the four series he played."

If you want an example closer to home, look at the Rams/Patriots preseason game. Fred Robbins came out of that game with a sack, but it was Chris Long's penetration that caused the play. You'll notice Long doesn't even show up on the box score.

Now, I'm not trying to suggest that Suh is dominating out of the gate. He may not be, based upon what you saw against Detroit. I haven't had a chance to watch him myself this preseason. I'm simply saying the stat sheet might not be the best indication of the impact he's having for the Lions.

Great question. Hopefully we don't have to find out.
    Fair point about stats. So I looked at the Den game and the Pit game as well. Suh did indeed spend a bit of time in the backfield. Unfortunately he was often on the ground or stood up & wheeled out of the QB's or RB's way.Occasionally you could argue that he did enough to disrupt plays or create opportunities for the others but he doesn't demand constant double-teams or anything. Hellaciously strong bullrush but he doesn't have much else in the arsenal....yet. Which was my only point. There was this argument that The Rams would get a quicker bang for the buck with him. I just don't think it's been the case so far.

Barring injury, I'm sure he'll be great sooner rather than later but this farfetched contention that his physical dominance at the college level meant that he would explode on the NFL scene like the Incredibly Unprecedented Hulk has yet to be seen by my eyes.

Yeah, he pancaked some guard called Ryan Harris into the backfield on one play vs Den that had the Det TV guys gushing. Unfortunately , the QB had already scrambled outside & connected deep while Suh got blindsided & went down for the second time.Power, motor,speed; lots of sound and fury portending much for Lion fans in the future but actually accomplishing nothing for the Lion defense at that moment.

chancelandusa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I will chalk it up to a rookie getting caught in the heat of the moment. Preseason or no, it is still his intro to the NFL and the guy is going to be excited about it. I would make anything malicious out of it.

EDIT: After looking through youtube and not finding it imiagine my surprise when it was on the front page of NFL.com. Anyway from what I saw Suh was reaching for the shoulderpad and caught the facemask by accident. Delhomme clearly still has the ball when he starts the tackle, but throws it away a second after contact. Suh looks to be engaged in such a way to not see delhomme throw away the ball. The rest of the tackle seems to be fairly standard, throwing the QB to the ground is nothing new and has happened since forever. Aside from the facemask (which suh clearly grabbed) I see nothing overly wrong about the play, nothing worth a fine in my opinion.
    WOW!! looked liked he tried to snap his head off. And still having both arms around his head slammed him down by his head. I hav'nt seen anything like this since they started protecting the QB Mistake or not sue knows hes not to go for the qb head let alone take it off I'll be surprised if theres no suspension IMO

p.s. I'm all for hard hitting even the qb but I think we need to let them keep thier heads lol

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Fair point about stats. So I looked at the Den game and the Pit game as well. Suh did indeed spend a bit of time in the backfield. Unfortunately he was often on the ground or stood up & wheeled out of the QB's or RB's way.Occasionally you could argue that he did enough to disrupt plays or create opportunities for the others but he doesn't demand constant double-teams or anything. Hellaciously strong bullrush but he doesn't have much else in the arsenal....yet. Which was my only point. There was this argument that The Rams would get a quicker bang for the buck with him. I just don't think it's been the case so far.

Barring injury, I'm sure he'll be great sooner rather than later but this farfetched contention that his physical dominance at the college level meant that he would explode on the NFL scene like the Incredibly Unprecedented Hulk has yet to be seen by my eyes.

Yeah, he pancaked some guard called Ryan Harris into the backfield on one play vs Den that had the Det TV guys gushing. Unfortunately , the QB had already scrambled outside & connected deep while Suh got blindsided & went down for the second time.Power, motor,speed; lots of sound and fury portending much for Lion fans in the future but actually accomplishing nothing for the Lion defense at that moment.
    I appreciate your comments based on your viewings of the game. The Detroit article I read seemed to paint a more positive picture than you do about his performance against Denver; maybe if I'm lucky, I can find that game somewhere and have a look myself. I've set the DVR to record the next Lions game, so hopefully I get a chance to watch. We'll have to wait and see at the end of the year if his presence has accomplished nothing for the Lion defense; I don't think a few preseason performances that have been short of phenomenal are all that concerning, at this point.

I agree he has to work on improving his technique, because I do think to some extent he got by on his physical strength at the college level and didn't have to bust out the whole book of moves in order to be effective. But I think there's something to be said about a guy who comes into the league that strong, and just needs to fine tune some issues that can be taught to him as he grows as a player.

High pick rookie DTs have historically have experienced somewhat underwhelming results as first year pros as they transition to facing stronger and better blockers, much like rookie quarterbacks tend to struggle at times with the speed of the game and adjustments to NFL defenses. So you're probably right in that he won't be exploding onto the NFL scene as an Incredibly Unprecedented Hulk. While I don't think that was a claim made by everyone who wanted the guy, the expectations for Suh, along with the other candidates for a high pick, were very high. Time will tell if he lives up to them.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Springfield Rams Guest

Love the way this guy goes after QBs, gotta watch the stuff with the head though.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Not sure why you guys are hating, for those of you who have played football you know that your coaches teach you to "kill", "take out", "destroy", etc. your opponent. It is a very aggressive & dangerous sport & sometimes in the heat of the moment things happen, I have seen the play several times & he was caught up on the flow of the game (for those who watched him play last year, you know he plays violently)(which is why ppl loved him). It does look like he was reaching for the guys shoulder pads but caught his helmet fora second.

Simply put he was not trying to hurt the guy, and I love the level of play it brings an attitude to the team & puts fear in your opponent (another thing defenses are taught to do).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

No good football coach teaches his players to "kill", "take out", or "destroy". That sounds like some coach that doesn't know what he's doing and has to cover it up with bravado.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    No good football coach teaches his players to "kill", "take out", or "destroy". That sounds like some coach that doesn't know what he's doing and has to cover it up with bravado.
    Yeah, agreed. Most coaches tell the players to stay aggressive and physical and don't back down, but rarely ever do or should they tell people to "kill".

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I also don't like the way he dealt with the incident, but I'm sure it was just a case of wanting to make an impact, rather than purposely trying to kill Delhomme, like others have already stated.

Bradford > Suh

Re: The Ndamukong Suh Thread

SUH-PDATE: Ndamukong Suh currently has nine total tackles (7 solo, 2 assisted) and has registered a sack in each of the two games he's played.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I've been watching Lions games, and from what I've seen, Suh has been a force. Besides the stat line, he's been a disrupter and regularly occupies multiple blockers, freeing up his teammates to also wreak havoc. So far, he looks like the real deal.

That said, I'm glad the Rams disappointed me and took Sam Bradford.

Ndamukong Suh finished his rookie season with 66 tackles, a whopping 10 sacks, 3 passes defensed, 1 interception, and 1 forced fumble.

He's only the second rookie defensive tackle in NFL history to reach 10 sacks since the stat became official; Dana Stubblefield set the rookie record of 10.5 in 1993.

He was voted to the Pro Bowl, receiving the most votes of any NFL defensive tackle or rookie (405,597).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ndamukong Suh finished his rookie season with 66 tackles, a whopping 10 sacks, 3 passes defensed, 1 interception, and 1 forced fumble.

He's only the second rookie defensive tackle in NFL history to reach 10 sacks since the stat became official; Dana Stubblefield set the rookie record of 10.5 in 1993.

He was voted to the Pro Bowl, receiving the most votes of any NFL defensive tackle or rookie (405,597).
    That's awesome but I'm still very happy with us taking Sam Bradford instead.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I will always be a Suh fan I wanted him as a Ram so bad but I will not even blink at the notion we should of taken him over Sam da Man! I think I'd even wear a Suh jersey ya know? That's saying alot....

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I had little doubt that Suh was going to be a dominant force, even as a rookie. But as good as he is, there is just no substitute for a franchise QB, something that Bradford is going to deliver on for years to come.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234