Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Newly acquired 49'ers receiver Jackson still hampered by turf toe

Link

Receiver Darrell Jackson, acquired this offseason in a trade with the Seahawks, is doing what the *****' athletic trainers tell him. Jackson has not practiced running routes with the ***** this offseason because he is on the trainers' timetable.

But his absence from drills is not entirely just a precaution. His hyper-extended left big toe (aka turf toe) does not seem to be anywhere near 100 percent.

"I feel it," Jackson said. "I always feel it."

When asked if he expects to be ready for the opening of training camp, Jackson said, "I expect to play now, but I'm following their timetable and doing what's best for me."

The *****' first practice of training camp is scheduled for July 29.

Jackson and the *****' other new veteran receiver, Ashley Lelie, have not done much this offseason due to injuries. Lelie sustained a quadriceps strain on one of the first routes he ran in the team's first minicamp. He has rarely seen the field since.

Jackson does not seem too concerned with the time he is losing with quarterback Alex Smith.

"His job is to hit the open receiver and my job is to run the route and get open," Jackson said today. "As far as chemistry and having the same timing, that'll come as the year goes on."

As far as building an on-field rapport between QB and WR, Jackson said, "That comes time. You don't get it in one day; you don't get it in one week; you don't get it in a training camp. It comes over time. Some people pick it up early, and some people it takes two or three years to develop chemistry."

Jackson sustained the injury Dec. 10 in a Seahawks game against the Cardinals. He was inactive for the final three regular-season games.
    So seven months later, and he's still out with this injury? That can't be good for them...

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Newly acquired 49'ers receiver Jackson still hampered by turf toe

Two questionable attitudes in Jackson and Lelie. The whiners are certainly going in a different direction than the Rams.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Two questionable attitudes in Jackson and Lelie. The whiners are certainly going in a different direction than the Rams.
    Desperation will do that.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Lelie is a bust and Jackson is mediocre. The only reason the ***** are all the rage is because of the inflated paychecks they're throwing at these underachievers and has-beens.

Rexi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Lelie is a bust and Jackson is mediocre. The only reason the ***** are all the rage is because of the inflated paychecks they're throwing at these underachievers and has-beens.
    Lelie may be a bust, and Jackson is probably overrated, but anyway you look at it they are both good receivers. The team is all the rage because they have been adding young talent and signing FA's with defined roles that will fit in to the team. Hardly has-beens and under-achievers.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rexi View Post
    Lelie may be a bust, and Jackson is probably overrated, but anyway you look at it they are both good receivers. The team is all the rage because they have been adding young talent and signing FA's with defined roles that will fit in to the team. Hardly has-beens and under-achievers.
    As much as I would like not to I'm in full agreement. I wish all there fa moves were busts. and overrated but they made a good FA splash. I still hate them and frank Gore GOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

I wouldn't read too much into it at this point. It's been known that Jackson was still suffering from turf toe, and while Nolan was hopeful that Jackson would be available for OTAs, his expectation was that Jackson would be ready for Training Camp. Matt Maiocco added this yesterday:

An update from yesterday's blog item about Darrell Jackson: Nolan said Jackson's rehab is going well. He ran some zig-zags, but nothing that would force his big toe to bend. Nolan said he expects Jackson to be ready for the first day of training camp.

Part of the problem with Jackson is that he was under no kind of rehabilitation schedule with the Seahawks. So from the end of the season until he was traded to the ***** in April, he received no treatment for his "turf toe."
    http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=626205
    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Not a big fan of Lelie (not a big fan of either, actually), but to my knowledge the only problem Jackson has had was with GM Ruskell over a deal supposedly promised to him by the previous GM. His attitude IMO, is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Lelie has certainly underachieved, but I think calling him a bust is pushing it. Jackson is a good player. He's not an elite WR, but I'd say he's what you might call a "2nd tier" #1 or borderline #1/#2 receiver.

As for the team being all the rage, alot of that has to do with the improvements that have been made and continue to be made by the FO. The FA signings are flashy, but the team has also put a big emphasis on drafting, which IMO, they've a good job at.

And hey, don't knock those "washed up" players. The two we signed last year both ended up in the pro-bowl.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.
    I don't see how you can't. Seven months seems like quite a while to be recovering from turf toe, but perhaps my impression of the injury is misguided.

Lelie has certainly underachieved, but I think calling him a bust is pushing it. Jackson is a good player. He's not an elite WR, but I'd say he's what you might call a "2nd tier" #1 or borderline #1/#2 receiver.
    You think calling him a bust is pushing it, but I would say calling him a 2nd tier #1 is pushing it a lot more. The guy's had one season with more than 800 yards and two touchdowns. One out of five. For a guy selected in the top twenty, that's much closer to bust than it is solid #1 target.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

This is terrible news for the niners and good news for us! It wouldn't be as bad at all if he was still in Seattle, but keeping out of practice with Smith is going to hurt them. Exspecially since Smith isn't very good yet and will need to work with him. Lelie is definetly a bust, I would have picked up Curtis if I were the niners, or Bennett for that matter. There was so many other good receivers on the market, i can't understand it.

I also think Jackson was helped out alot by Hasselback, let's see how he does with a medicore qb in smith

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't see how you can't. Seven months seems like quite a while to be recovering from turf toe, but perhaps my impression of the injury is misguided.
    The guy hasn't done anything to rehabilitate since then, though. And again, it was known when the team acquired Jackson that he was still suffering from turf toe. This is from May 4 of Maiocco's blog:
    WR Darrell Jackson is being held out of minicamp with the turf toe injury that sidelined him for three games at the end of the regular season. The ***** passed him on their physical Sunday before the deal with Seattle went through. Coach Mike Nolan said he expects Jackson to be ready for training camp and hopes he'll be ready for the OTAs at the end of the month.
    I'm not going to put too much into it until he starts missing time in training camp.

You think calling him a bust is pushing it, but I would say calling him a 2nd tier #1 is pushing it a lot more. The guy's had one season with more than 800 yards and two touchdowns. One out of five. For a guy selected in the top twenty, that's much closer to bust than it is solid #1 target.
    Woah, I think you misread my post. I said Jackson was the 2nd tier #1. Lelie certainly hasn't lived up to his draft status, but he has produced some and has shown that he's a decent deep threat, if nothing else. Compare him to an actual bust at WR, such as Rashaun Woods, and you'll see the difference. I wouldn't want him to be the team's primary receiver, but I think he's okay as a team's 2nd or 3rd guy.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.

The guy hasn't done anything to rehabilitate since then, though.
    And you don't see that as concerning? Just because the team knows about it doesn't make it any less problematic that the guy has been hampered with this thing for seven months.

Woah, I think you misread my post. I said Jackson was the 2nd tier #1.
    You're right, my apologies. Everything kind of blended together there for some reason when I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And you don't see that as concerning? Just because the team knows about it doesn't make it any less problematic that the guy has been hampered with this thing for seven months.
    I mostly find it peculiar that the Seahawks didn't have him on a rehab schedule and that he'd received no treatment for it. I wonder why it wasn't treated because Jackson being injured doesn't benefit either the Hawks or Jackson. That it hasn't healed without treatment doesn't worry me, though.

I mentioned that the team knew, because it shows that they'd planned on Jackson not practicing. So right now, everything is going according to plan. I won't be concerned until things are no longer going according to plan.