Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NFL commentators thread

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

NFL commentators thread

There is really nothing to talk about this offseason and I've been getting sick of hearing all the QQs going on around the players and owners so lets talk about the people who talk play-by-play when we're at home or at some bar enjoying the game.

My favorite commentator would be Gus Johnson, I just love the way sounds during a big play. He sure knows how to mix the the spirit of a fan while still keeping adequate commentary. The fact that he's moving to FOX Sports makes it even more amazing and that I look forward to hearing him scream overjoyed when he sees our Rams make big plays.

Ron Pitts and John Lynch are underrated but they tend to go off-task like that one game against the Lions where they were showing clips of games they played. Al Michaels would've been above average if Cris Collinsworth wasn't a part of it, and don't even get me started on Buck and Aikman.

discuss

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: NFL commentators thread

I like what Tim Ryan brings to the table on his broadcasts. The Sirius Radio show he does with Pat Kirwan is one of my favorites on the channel. On the flip side, I'm not a big Joe Buck fan. He always sounds so dull to me, like he's still in baseball mode.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Maybe it's because he's so amazingly horrible in Madden, but I can't stand Collinsworth.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    My favorite commentator would be Gus Johnson, I just love the way sounds during a big play. He sure knows how to mix the the spirit of a fan while still keeping adequate commentary. The fact that he's moving to FOX Sports makes it even more amazing and that I look forward to hearing him scream overjoyed when he sees our Rams make big plays.
    You make some good points. Johnson has a flair for the dramatic and like you, I'm looking forward to hearing him do NFL football. I didn't realize it, but apparently, he's the game announcer on the Buffalo Wild Wings commercials.

As for crews, I really like the MNF guys. With Tirico, Jaws and Gruden, I think they've found a good mix of personalities who work well together.
    gap likes this.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Maybe it's because he's so amazingly horrible in Madden, but I can't stand Collinsworth.
    +2 on that one I have to shut off the commentary on madden or I go crazy I hate collinsworth he always thinks he knows better than me on madden.

Man every game starts with: "So who do you think are the key players in this game?"

"I like the two quarterbacks"

Can't stand him on TV either.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I have to agree that Tirico, Jaws and Gruden are my favorite. I cannot stand Al Michaels. He has a SERIOUS BIAS when he calls a game. He will point out almost anything about the "favorite team", as if it was the greatest play ever. When the "non-favorite team" does something really good to great, he glosses it over or announces it without any enthusiasm. And to add to this, he is a huge whiner and cheatroits homer.

I love Fouts as a QB, but as an announcer he sux.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I cannot stand Al Michaels. He has a SERIOUS BIAS when he calls a game. He will point out almost anything about the "favorite team", as if it was the greatest play ever. When the "non-favorite team" does something really good to great, he glosses it over or announces it without any enthusiasm. And to add to this, he is a huge whiner and cheatroits homer.
    I can't stand him either. Technically, he is a great announcer, but is indeed biased when calling games. On top of that, he is smug, way too full of himself and often makes really lame comments. Listening to him gush over the whiners is too much to bear.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Oh my god, I cannot stand Gus Johnson. I just don't understand the love Gus Johnson gets. He oversells EVERYTHING. Any time he's a commentator on a game I'm watching, I have to put it on mute, this year's madden included.

Five yard pass across the middle: "OHHH MY GOD THE MOST SPECTACULAR CATCH IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS!!!" Three yard run outside: "AHHHHH THE MOST TREMENDOUS EXITING PLAY YOU WILL EVER SEE!!!!" Penelty for holding: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT COULD HE POSSIBLY BE THINKING???? AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Admittedly, most of my absolute vitriol for Gus Johnson comes from his lack of knowledge about MMA, despite him being a Strikeforce commentator. When Seth Petruzelli knocked out Kimbo Slice, stupid Gus declared it "THE MOST INCREDIBLE VICTORY IN MMA HISTORY!!!!", despite the fact that anyone who follows the sport at all knew it to be nothing of the sort. That would be like calling a 7-3 Panthers vs. Raiders game "THE MOST INCREDIBLE FOOTBALL GAME EVER EXPERIENCED!!!" He obviously doesn't care to become more knowledgeable about a sport HE FREAKIN' COMMENTATES ON.

No, Gus Johnson is horrible and he sucks. Also, he wears makeup like a woman:

Cold blooded!!!

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Oh my god, I cannot stand Gus Johnson. I just don't understand the love Gus Johnson gets. He oversells EVERYTHING. Any time he's a commentator on a game I'm watching, I have to put it on mute, this year's madden included.
    You're entitled to your opinion but I'm guessing you can't stand wild fans when they start screaming with joy and tackling each other down while patting each others back in a violent but passionate manner?

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Is Gus Johnson a wild fan or a professional sports commentator?

C'mon now, bad analogy.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I like what Tim Ryan brings to the table on his broadcasts. The Sirius Radio show he does with Pat Kirwan is one of my favorites on the channel. On the flip side, I'm not a big Joe Buck fan. He always sounds so dull to me, like he's still in baseball mode.
    Movin' the Chains baby! I love that show, Pat and Tim are freakin' awesome. I love when Billy D. calls in.

Joe Buck = mute.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Man every game starts with: "So who do you think are the key players in this game?"

"I like the two quarterbacks"

Can't stand him on TV either.
    hah! I hate it! I was five years into my dynasty and sick of hearing about Sam Bradford the rookie, going up against ______ veteran.

So easy to fix from a programming perspective too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast