r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL To Limit Bags Brought Into Stadiums

NFL to limit bags brought into stadiums

By BARRY WILNER (AP Pro Football Writer) | The Associated Press – 51 minutes ago..

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) -- Bring yourself to the game. Leave the cooler and backpack at home.

The NFL is tightening stadium security starting this preseason, limiting the size and type of bags fans can bring to the game.

The restrictions are designed to enhance security while speeding up entry into stadiums.

With the exception of medically necessary items, only clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches will be allowed. One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags also will be OK, as will small clear plastic bags approximately the size of someone's hand, with or without a handle or strap.

One of those clear bags and a small clutch bag will be allowed per person.

Binoculars, cameras, and smartphones also will be permitted.

Banned items will include purses larger than a clutch bag; coolers; briefcases; backpacks; ***** packs; cinch bags; seat cushions; luggage; computer bags; and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.

The league is encouraging fans not to bring any bags to games.

''Our fans deserve to be in a safe and secure environment,'' Jeffrey Miller, the NFL's chief security officer, said Thursday. ''Public safety is our top priority. This will make the job of checking items much more efficient and effective. We will be able to deliver a better and quicker experience at the gates and also provide a safer environment. We appreciate our fans' cooperation.''

An NFL committee on stadium security recommended these measures in May and the owners have approved them.

A secondary buffer area well outside the stadium will be established where security personnel will check for prohibited items or bags being carried toward the ballpark. Fans with prohibited bags will be turned away until they dispose of those bags. Stadium personnel are being encouraged to have approved bags on hand to give to fans, or to have a place outside the restricted areas to check items, so that fans can reclaim after games.

Recently, the NFL has done pat downs and bag checks and also used metal detectors to upgrade security. The new policy announced Thursday has worked well at colleges such as Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State, which do not permit any bags in their stadiums. Boston's TD Garden allows only clutch bags.

The NFL ramped up security at the draft in late April, its one major event since the Boston Marathon bombings. In a statement Thursday, the league said:

''We had been discussing a new approach to bag restrictions before the Boston Marathon incident. We have come up with a way to do it that will actually make access more convenient for fans than it has been. We think the fans will embrace and appreciate it.''

Stadium workers and media will continue to enter NFL stadiums through designated gates where they will be subject to screening and bag inspections.

Re: NFL To Limit Bags Brought Into Stadiums

Banned items will include purses larger than a clutch bag
    This will be an interesting situation.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

The NFL is looking at increasing profits from concessions?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

This is exactly what I expected. Just wait until the first few games when they try to enforce it.

Women, headed to Rams game? You'll have to leave your purse behind

15 hours ago • By Tara Kulash tkulash@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8114

Attention female Rams fans: All that stuff you carry in your purse? Leave it home or carry it in a see-through bag.

The NFL announced a bag policy Thursday that has football fans, especially women, tweeting, commenting and just generally disapproving.

For public safety reasons, bags larger than a hand-sized clutch must be clear this season. This means purses, coolers, backpacks, ***** packs, camera bags and more are not allowed. Some exceptions will be made for necessary medical items.

One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags are allowed, but fans have complained the policy invades their privacy, such as if a female attendant brings in tampons or sanitary napkins.

St. Louis residents reacted.

Sam Townzen said she thinks this will hurt an already suffering Rams fan base.

“The more barriers to going and enjoying games that they put up, the more negativity (added) to our already fairly negative football fan base,” she said.

Brooke James said she finds the policy offensive and insensitive.

“It almost increases fear in an environment where we shouldn’t be afraid,” she said.

James also said she doesn’t see why a security guard could not instead just take an extra 30 seconds to search her bag before entry. She mentioned that diaper bags probably wouldn’t be allowed, which would make it harder to bring children to the Edward Jones Dome.

Colleen Milford said she thinks the policy might cause more vehicle break-ins because women will leave their purses and belongings in their cars.

One man, Brian Waterman, said he supports safety precautions, but he thinks the policy infringes on privacy.

Another man, Dan Rademeyer, said he can sympathize with women not being able to bring their purses, but he agrees with the policy.

“I am so concerned about the nutcases running around that I think we ought to take precautions in any event that gathers people together,” he said.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Violence is a real issue at NFL games, never mind random lunatics or terrorists. I don't see how banning small bags will stop a drunk jackass from throwing a beer or a punch, never mind a suicidal maniac with any brains.

My sister did hit me in the face with one of my Mom's huge 70s purses once while she played dress-up. First & last time I was ever honest about how a woman looked. Still have the scar. Usually lie about how I got it..

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Violence is a real issue at NFL games, never mind random lunatics or terrorists. I don't see how banning small bags will stop a drunk jackass from throwing a beer or a punch, never mind a suicidal maniac with any brains.
    Spot on point. No bags, no backpacks, no purses, no ***** packs, no seat cushions(??), but let the alcohol flow. In fact, encourage the alcohol to flow, and then look the other way as the thuggish behavior ensues.

Attending games, I have not seen any problems with allowing bags and searching them as fans enter stadiums. This is PC gone wild, and IMO, the no bags policy will eventually be eased due to fan outrage.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

There comes a point when you have given up too much in the name of security. Reminds me of baseball games...where you get water bottles with no caps so you can't fill it with explosives and use it as a bomb.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    where you get water bottles with no caps so you can't fill it with explosives and use it as a bomb.
    That's not why they don't give out caps.

I personally don't see the problem with any of this. It's a private event and they set the rules. Don't like the rules, don't attend the event.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I personally don't see the problem with any of this. It's a private event and they set the rules. Don't like the rules, don't attend the event.
    Or, don't like the rules, voice your opposition and try to change them. Public pressure can be a powerful instrument for doing just that.

The no bag policy doesn't affect me, but it will affect a significant amount of NFL fans. My guess is their voices will be heard, and heeded.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    That's not why they don't give out caps.

That's the exact reason the security people and the guy working the stand told me.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."