Thread: NFL Live 6/6/07

prof22693 is offline Registered User

NFL Live 6/6/07

When asked today on NFL Live which recievers would make the HOF if they retired today, Mark Schlereth and Mike Smith picked Harrison and Holt to make it. They said no to Randy and Terrell, and no to Issac. They see Issac as possession reciever, but if he plays well the next few years that could change. Randy and Terrell had alot of off-the-field issues and people aren't sure how they will turn out (Terrell dropped passes, Randy new team), but they all have great chances.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: NFL Live 6/6/07

Rev. Ike a possession receiver??? Maybe he has lost a step in the last couple of years.
    During his career with the Rams he has been much more than a possession receiver. These guys need to go back and look at the tapes of the Playoffs leading upto and including Superbowl XXXIV. (That's just one example) Go back and look at Ikes entire career and you'll see alot more than a (Keyshaun Johnson).

Keenum is offline Registered User

Yeah, check out The Rev's 1999 season (including playoffs). He never had great speed (4.58 coming out of Memphis in college), but his precise routes enabled him to beat even the speediest of DBs.

Bruce in the Hall NOW? Yes, but maybe not a first rounder.

I also see Owens and Moss in the Hall. How can you have 100+ receiving TDs and NOT get in? I know they talk about character issues, but those stats are just too good not to let them in.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

WR is the hardest position to predict in terms of the HOF. Stats alone won't do it (i.e. Art Monk) and, in fact, sometimes players with very mediocre career stats get in (i.e. Lynn Swann).

It seems that the voters are putting a lot of emphasis on playoff success, years in which the player was among the "best in the league," and, quite frankly, a lot of subjective criteria.

Bruce absolutely SHOULD be in the HOF. He has had years in which he was a top 5 WR, and he scored the winning TD in a Super Bowl. To get in, though, he's going to have to have another 2-3 productive years to get his career stats are SO impressive that the voters just won't be able to deny him (though, they have still denied Monk).

Holt has the advantage of being a little more of a media darling, plus he had his best years when the Rams were a premier draw in the NFL. The "fastest to 10,000 yards" and consecutive 1,300 yard seasons marks also help.

Hopefully, one day both will be enshrined.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They see Issac as possession reciever,
    That's a rather odd statement. Bruce has a higher "yards per reception" average than:

Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison, Andre Reed, Irving Fryar, Art Monk, Jimmy Smith, etc.

How can it be said Bruce is a "possession receiver"?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

The entire HOF issue with rev ike is that he has been 100% low key during his entire career, even when he was among the very top receivers in the nfl. Being quite and workmanlike, unlike the much more media visible holt as the prior poster mentioned, hurts a lot when it comes to hall of fame voting. Bruce is just not well known around the media markets. The yards per catch is a great stat.

At the end of the day, zak will get in if he puts up another 2-3 years of stats (as has been pointed out) and/or if we get deep in the playoffs again and he does it again under the spotlight of the media.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I agree with you guys, Ike is no possession receiver and he is not a keyshawn johnson and owens and moss should be there as well. This also brings up the topic of selection into the Hall, I think it's bogus and Monk should be there. It will be interesting when Holt and Bruce retire, to see how their numbers stack up against Rice and co. Bruce reminds me of Harrison in that he is quiet and such, but people should be giving him more attention towards his HOF status. Holt will get in when it's said and done, but it's pushing it a little to say HOF already.

On a side note, do you guys mind if I inform and start NFL Live threads daily, if they pertain to the Rams (Ram Talk) or any other NFL news (NFL Talk)?

da professa

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It worries me that guys like Schlereth and Smith are the kind of idiots that cast HOF votes. I just don't see how anyone can look at Ike's career and have any questions as to his rightful place in the HOF.

Yes, Ike is a possesion receiver AND a big play receiver, a clutch receiver, a scoring receiver, a go across the middle receiver, a great route running receiver as well as a top all-time stat receiver. There is nothing he hasn't done and continues to perform at an elite level. There should be no HOF questions after 2007 IMO.

the selection committee drives me nuts, Monk probably should be in there

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think there's a strong case for Isaac, not just based on stats but because he was one of those guys who played on a bad team for a number of years and stuck with it. You can't argue that Martz' system inflated his numbers without acknowledging he was putting up huge numbers before Mike was running the offense. He helped win one Super Bowl and contributed to reaching another one. The one thing that will probably hurt him is that idea about a player being the best in the league. He has always been one of the best, but I don't know if he has actually been perceived as the best.