Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Angry NFL Live Trent Dilfer comments.

I couldnt believe how he criticized Cutler on today's show. He Stated that a QB needs 3 skills to win a championship. (I meant NFL Live)

1. Foundation Skills , athletic stuff like strong arm ect. Said Cutler has those skills in Excess.

2. Must be Intuitive, extend the play, pocket presence and vision. Said Cutler is so so.

3. Intangibles, make those aound you better, mentally tough and able to handle adversity. Said Cutler doesn't have.

Okay maybe Trent should look in the mirror and judge himself about the championship the Defense won for him.

The only job Dilfer had was not to have turnovers. That was the only skill set that he needed. Cutler is way better than Dilfer ever was when the Ravens won a championship. To hear Dilfer spout off like that and to watch Schlereth just sit there and not say a word?? JESH I am not a fan of Jay Cutler but just to listen to Trent Dilfer made me want to slap him.
    Last edited by Rookie; -04-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: NFL PrimeTime Trent Dilfer comments.

I agree with you. I think its funny that some of these "experts" (former players) criticize these players. Some of them will be better than the expert. It makes me sick sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This should tell you how Cutler is percieved by those in the football world. He is not respected. The only players I have heard back him up are his former Vandy teammates. None of his current teammates or any other NFL player has had one good thing to say about him as far as I know. I think he's making his future difficult, and he's not a tough guy.

I think the coach & Cutler made things difficult for each other. You knew Cutler was upset with the firing of Shannohan(sp). All eyes are going to be on the both of them. With this move the new young coach just put himself under a microscope and probabally needs to get immediate results. The honeymoon is now over. How when face to face they couldn't have resolved this in a decisive mannner is beyond me. What did they do just sit there and stare at each other? Know he has to get a new QB and train him in his system and still rebuild a defense. This will be tough.

Also,I think the player has an advantage here. Teams will always take a talented QB no matter what the baggage(Jeff George). I bet Vick gets back into the league by next year.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    I think the coach & Cutler made things difficult for each other. You knew Cutler was upset with the firing of Shannohan(sp). All eyes are going to be on the both of them. With this move the new young coach just put himself under a microscope and probabally needs to get immediate results. The honeymoon is now over. How when face to face they couldn't have resolved this in a decisive mannner is beyond me. What did they do just sit there and stare at each other? Know he has to get a new QB and train him in his system and still rebuild a defense. This will be tough.

Also,I think the player has an advantage here. Teams will always take a talented QB no matter what the baggage(Jeff George). I bet Vick gets back into the league by next year.
    Jason Whitlock, is that you?

Yeah...always take the talent....that's why George never saw a snap after 2001.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Why does it matter whether Dilfer was a better QB than Cutler or not? That's like saying Mayock has no business evaluating talent because the prospects he evaluates are better players than him. I don't think you need to be an all-world talent to say somebody is or is not a good QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Why does it matter whether Dilfer was a better QB than Cutler or not? That's like saying Mayock has no business evaluating talent because the prospects he evaluates are better players than him. I don't think you need to be an all-world talent to say somebody is or is not a good QB.
    No ,I just found it assine that he said you need 3 skills to be a championship QB. His whole premise is wrong. He won a championship and he didn't posses as many skills as Cutler does. It just strikes me as odd tha Trent arguabally had onle ONE of his Three necessary skills he said is required(Foundation Skills) which I think he was above average at to win a championship (Than you defense).

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

No ,I just found it assine that he said you need 3 skills to be a championship QB. His whole premise is wrong. He won a championship and he didn't posses as many skills as Cutler does. It just strikes me as odd tha Trent arguabally had onle ONE of his Three necessary skills he said is required(Foundation Skills) which I think he was above average at to win a championship (Than you defense).
    Oh ok then I agree with you. I agree that Dilfer luckboxed his way to a championship. Most comments on those shows just seem like they're generic, canned "observations" to fill air time. Plus, everybody loves a list - 3 things you need to be a successful QB, 3 things every championship team needs, etc.

Perhaps Dilfer meant, "if the QB is going to be the guy leading the team to the championship."

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Live Trent Dilfer comments.

Where does he get that Cutler doesn't have the intangibles to be a great quarterback. He pretty much carried the broncos on his shoulders this season. They had a terrible defense and they didn't have a starting runningback yet they were still a good team. I don't like how they give so much credit to the quarterback for winning and blame him if they lose. It's a team game and Cutler can't change what they do on the defensive side of the ball but he did help the Broncos have the second best offense in the league in terms of yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Where does he get that Cutler doesn't have the intangibles to be a great quarterback. He pretty much carried the broncos on his shoulders this season. They had a terrible defense and they didn't have a starting runningback yet they were still a good team. I don't like how they give so much credit to the quarterback for winning and blame him if they lose. It's a team game and Cutler can't change what they do on the defensive side of the ball but he did help the Broncos have the second best offense in the league in terms of yardage.
    Refresh my memory...did Denver make the playoffs this year? In a weak division? No, you say?

If he was a great quarterback he would have carried them to the playoffs. He didn't, so he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Refresh my memory...did Denver make the playoffs this year? In a weak division? No, you say?

If he was a great quarterback he would have carried them to the playoffs. He didn't, so he isn't.
    Football is a team sport. You can't place the blame entirly on one player, especially when that player carried your team and was the main reason you were winning any games. He only plays one side of the ball. Is it his fault the Broncos had the 3rd worst defense in the league. Cutler did his part in helping the team and he had a great season.

Football is a team sport. You can't place the blame entirly on one player, especially when that player carried your team and was the main reason you were winning any games. He only plays one side of the ball. Is it his fault the Broncos had the 3rd worst defense in the league. Cutler did his part in helping the team and he had a statistically great season.
    Fixed your post.

His team missed the playoffs. That greatly diminishes his season.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Fixed your post.

His team missed the playoffs. That greatly diminishes his season.
    Once again, you can't his performance based off of how bad his team's defense played. Did Drew Brees also not have a great season this year because the Saints didn't make the playoffs. Both players did all they could on their side of the ball and their team's failed when they weren't on the field.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Once again, you can't his performance based off of how bad his team's defense played. Did Drew Brees also not have a great season this year because the Saints didn't make the playoffs. Both players did all they could on their side of the ball and their team's failed when they weren't on the field.
    I'm not sure that's the case. When the Broncos were in position to win the division in the season finale against San Diego, Cutler didn't rise to the occasion and pretty much fell flat on his face with two costly interceptions en route to a 52-21 drubbing. That game was preceded by a painful loss to Buffalo where Cutler had zero TD's and an INT, and a 30-10 blowout against Carolina and another uninspired Cutler performance. In the final 3 games of the season where the Broncos only needed to win one game to seal the deal, Cutler came through with 2 TD's and 4 INT's. Not the stuff of greatness IMO.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -04-03-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast