Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: NFL in Los Angeles?

A recent proposal by California billionaire Ed Roski Jr. to build an $800 million stadium near Los Angeles, with the goal of attracting an NFL team, was met with raised eyebrows by concerned Rams fans here. Would Chip Rosenbloom, the team's new owner and a Hollywood filmmaker, shuttle the Rams back to his hometown? Rosenbloom on Thursday sought emphatically to allay such fears. "We have a lease (through the 2015 season), first of all. We have a commitment to St. Louis, secondly. We don't have any interest in moving to Los Angeles," Rosenbloom said at Rams Park. "Is that clear enough?"
    So either he's a huge liar, or the Rams are staying put. I'd bank on the latter.

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

LA does not need another team. If the Rams moved back. St Louis would be the relocating stage for another NFL Team. The mentioned teams seeking relocating would be better off in the midwest. Except the Chargers. They were LA at one time.
    So they would probably be the frontrunners for the new stadium.
    The Rams and or Chargers are the best fit. But you also have the whiners looking to relocate south.
    So expansion team would be too costly. Existing team would be better marketing and excitement.
    I am Rams fan for life. And whatever goes to LA --Rams will always be the team.

rampower is offline Registered User

I am wondering, when I was in LA last august I went to universal studios. (theme park). There was an oakland radiers store there, Obviously no rams store though, strange I thought. Is it fair to say the majority of the population there cared a lot more for the raiders than the rams? Just asking, I dont know. I know this was the case late on, but, is there a market for the rams in LA.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    I am wondering, when I was in LA last august I went to universal studios. (theme park). There was an oakland raiders store there, Obviously no rams store though, strange I thought. Is it fair to say the majority of the population there cared a lot more for the raiders than the rams? Just asking, I dont know. I know this was the case late on, but, is there a market for the rams in LA.
    Just catering to the thug mentality? Raiders gear sells, sadly, because of gang associations I am afraid. So I hear anyway.

Raiders fans I talk to at job sites are pretty good guys (other than their taste in football teams?) and we can enjoy reasonable conversations about our respective teams but their has long been a undesirable connotation to wearing their colors.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Just catering to the thug mentality? Raiders gear sells, sadly, because of gang associations I am afraid. So I hear anyway.

Raiders fans I talk to at job sites are pretty good guys (other than their taste in football teams?) and we can enjoy reasonable conversations about our respective teams but their has long been a undesirable connotation to wearing their colors.
    Pretty much it, I'm afraid. I work in S. EL Monte and there's a Raider's store in the nearby mall. I throw-up in my mouth everytime I pass by...

Many Raider fans are really not football fans at all, just a bunch of wanna-be gang-bangers. They think it makes them look tough to wear the silver and bleak. As said above, it sells. Also, many of the more intelligent fans I know that follow the Raiders don't flaunt the colors and logo nearly as much as those that have never actually been to a Raiders game.

The Rams lost fans and respect soon after the Ms. took over and ran them into the ground. It's an old story and no reason to rehash it again here. But feelings for the Rams is one or the other here in LA, it's love or hate. Some (like myself and others here on the board) still hold on to them because "they're our team". The others hate them with a passion because of what they became with Ms. G. in control, and because they were taken away. Unfortunately, many outside LA/OC use the final years of their LA/OC existence (Georgia ownership) as their rebuttal as to why LA can't support a team. We can, we just won't when we're getting jacked around by the owner. ...and the comments Chippy boy makes about treatment of his mother by LA/OC is laughable.

I suspect that many Ram fans would have latched onto another team had they come to LA/OC after the Rams left, much like, I'm sure many St. Louis Ram fans are old Cardinal fans. None came, so many Ram fans remain true to the blue and gold just because there's no one else. Others latched onto the Chargers, or simply follow the Trojans or Bruins a little more closely to get their football fix.

But back to the LA and the NFL now. I watched an interesting interview last night with an exectuive with the Chargers. (can't remember his name, but he's the main player in getting a stadium deal done in San Diego.) When asked about the LA deal, he said he knows Roski personally, and that Spanos and Roski go way back together. When asked if the Chargers would be receptive to returning to LA, he said they have two options left in SD, in Chula Vista, and they would pursue those first, but that time and options were running out.

It sounded to me like the guy was using the LA deal to put pressure on SD. He said Roski is a serious guy with the money and drive to do this thing, and totally left it open to the Chargers moving north sometime in the near future if SD doesn't get it's "stuff" together. Half of the interview was about how screwed up the SD political and econonical situation is. He painted a pretty bleak picture about staying in SD. SO, those in LA wishing to get a new team, it could very well be the Chargers.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -05-04-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

Not a bad idea considering they do not have to pay for the facility. It probably will happen and it makes sense to have the team play there and still pull from both the San Diego areas and the LA areas. Since it's not really in LA actually. It will be a challenge transit and commuting. Lots of factors. But the Chargers are the better fit for this new venture. Raidersgear are just gang concerns, and they use it to impress but half of them have no clue about being a true fan. That's why the LA Kings changed their colors awhile back because the team was being represented by the gangs as apparel bums. So it's a bad situation. But Al Davis will not change the colors until he dies and someone else takes over.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I hope some team relocates to LA. Then maybe this silly nonsense about the Rams moving back there will FINALLY come to an end.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

the comments Chippy boy makes about treatment of his mother by LA/OC is laughable.
    Maybe, maybe not. However, as his is the only opinion that matters, the point is moot. Did LA screw over Georgia? Did Georgia screw over LA? The only thing that matters is the perception of the one who has any power in the situation. Namely, Chip Rosenbloom.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. However, as his is the only opinion that matters, the point is moot. Did LA screw over Georgia? Did Georgia screw over LA? The only thing that matters is the perception of the one who has any power in the situation. Namely, Chip Rosenbloom.
    You're right there, Chippy has the power now, and that's why I don't see them coming back to LA while he's in control. He'll not move to LA no matter how much economical sense it may make just because he's got those "bad memories". LA lost the Rams because they wouldn't upgrade the Coliseum and Carroll Rosenbloom, not Georgia, moved them to OC. The idiots running the coliseum are a big reason why LA still doesn't have a team. When Carroll "died", Ms. G. and her croonies destroyed what fan base they had left by letting good players go and being cheap. Make no mistake about that, they drove the fans away with a crappy product with no intentions of winning. ...and that does matter, unfortunately, because no matter how badly some of us would love to have the Rams return to LA/OC, it's not gonna happen because I'm not sure LA wants the Frontiere family back, and as he said, he doesn't want to come back. So as long as Chippy is in control, it ain't gonna happen.

The biggest mistake the city of LA/OC, and the NFL made in letting the Rams go was letting the team take the name and colors. The Rams name and colors should have remained in LA/OC, much like they did in Cleveland when the Browns moved and were forced to become the Ravens. It would have worked out well for everyone. That way, the St. Louis fans would still have their Cardinals (formally the Rams) the LA fans would still have the Rams (eventually) and Phoenix would have?????
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You know, I agree with leaving the name and colors in L.A. They should have. Look at the NBA for example......how ridiculous is the name "Utah Jazz"? I'm a big jazz fan and I know that most of the best jazz comes out of Salt Lake City.

Right.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Look at the NBA for example......how ridiculous is the name "Utah Jazz"?
    As ridiculous as LA Dodgers & LA Lakers, when you think about it.

I'm torn. Part of me says, the logo and colors should have stayed with LA (maybe even Cleveland, truth be told). I have grown quite attached to the horns, but if I'm being honest, the colors and logo should attach to the community.

However, the capitalist in me understands that a private owner can do whatever the flip they want with their assets. And it hurts to say it, but the colors and logo belong to the owner, not the fans.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Make no mistake about that, they drove the fans away with a crappy product with no intentions of winning
    I need some help with this concept, as it is one that I've never understood. After CR died, the Rams went to the playoffs in 8 of the next 11 seasons. If Georgia truly had no intent of winning, did she just suck at it so bad that it took 11 years to get it done?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123