• 1 Post By Curly Horns

Thread: NFL Pulls Replacement Ref From Game

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL Pulls Replacement Ref From Game

NFL pulls replacement ref from game

Updated: September 16, 2012, 12:18 PM ET
    By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

NFL Pulls Replacement Ref From Game

The NFL pulled one of the replacement officials assigned to the New Orleans-Carolina game Sunday morning after it was made aware that he was a Saints fan.

Side judge Brian Stropolo is a fan of the Saints, according to his Facebook page. He was pulled from the assignment Sunday morning and replaced with an alternate, Tim Keese, who travels with the crew.

The NFL was unaware of Stropolo's open allegiance as a Saints fan until ESPN contacted the league Sunday morning.

Stropolo, who is from New Orleans area and lists himself on Facebook as an NFL side judge, posted pictures of himself in Saints gear tailgating at an Aug. 25 preseason game. Stropolo did not work the game against the Texans, but he was assigned to Sunday's game in Carolina. There were several photos of Stropolo in Saints gear on his Facebook page.

Stropolo worked the Week 1 opener between the Cowboys and Giants and posted on Sept. 5: "Thanks to everyone for all the support. The crew did a great job tonight. Next stop September 16th at Carolina vs the Saints."

Stropolo's status update drew 73 "likes" and comments such as "Hey, now be nice with those yellow flags for our Saints!!" and "That's awesome you get to be an official for a Saints game! I didn't think they would let you since your (sic) from Louisiana."

Stropolo's Facebook page has since been taken down. The NFL Referees Association was locked out in early June and talks on a new collective bargaining agreement have gone nowhere. The league has said replacement officials are subject to the same background checks and ethical standards of the locked out officials. A league executive conceded, at the very least, "an appearance of impropriety" warranted Sunday's action.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Re: NFL Pulls Replacement Ref From Game

Facebook is the big brother of the 21st century. It's mind blowing to me that people don't understand that, this replacement ref included.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Facebook is the big brother of the 21st century. It's mind blowing to me that people don't understand that, this replacement ref included.
    It will feel like that depending on what you post, luckily all I post there is trivial stuff. By the end of the day, we're still given a choice whether to have one or not.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

One is a very small start, but it's not close to solving the problem.

They all need to go!!

Today's Rams game should be enough evidence for all Rams fans. The scab officials were absolutely terrible!

These scab officials need to go as the NFL is losing credibility every week.

Interesting how Rams fans here don't seem to mind or complain.

Mike Pereira said on-air, during the Fox broadcast of the Rams game, that they need to get the regular officials back right away.

The league is a frickin joke with these clowns!!

RamDez likes this.

Slug is offline Registered User

I don't get this story. What, the regular refs aren't fans of any team? Of course they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    I don't get this story. What, the regular refs aren't fans of any team? Of course they are.
    I think you're probably right, but these guys simply can't be overt about it. There has to be a level of discretion. The ref in question flaunted his allegiance to the Saints, and his facebook page had the following comments:

Stropolo's status update drew 73 "likes" and comments such as "Hey, now be nice with those yellow flags for our Saints!!" and "That's awesome you get to be an official for a Saints game! I didn't think they would let you since your (sic) from Louisiana."
    The league had no choice IMO. Could you imagine if the league allowed him to do the game, and he made a questionable call in the Saints favor?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not surprised by the news that the ref that is a Saints fan got removed. Shoot! I was hired to do the Redskins at RAMS game until they saw my tattoos!