r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL Rule Changes For 2010

Don't know if these have been posted before, but here's a look at the changes for 2010. Most notable is the new OT playoff rule that only a TD on the initial drive will end the game. I like that change as it lessens the effect of the coin flip.

1. A play will now be whistled dead if a ball-carrier loses his helmet while still in possession of the football. The ball will be spotted at the point where the player loses his helmet.

2. During field goals and punts, opposing defensive players cannot line up directly over the center. They must have their entire body outside the snapper’s shoulder pads.

3. After the half has expired, dead ball personal fouls by the offense or defense will be enforced on the succeeding kickoff, i.e. no more untimed downs.

4. If a punt returner signals for fair catch, muffs the punt and the ball is caught by the punting team before it hits the ground, a fair catch is awarded to the receiving team at the spot of the interference (i.e. it’s not a fumble). But the punting team is no longer penalized for attempting to catch a muffed fair catch.

5. If a replay review inside the final minute of a half results in a ruling reversal – and the correct ruling would have kept the game clock running – officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before play is started again.

6. Officials will call more 15 yard penalties for spearing or launching at a defenseless player. Defenseless players are players who: Just threw a pass; attempt to catch a pass; are in the grasp; attempting a kick; on the ground at the end of the play.

7. If a loose ball strikes a video board, guide wire, sky cam or other object, the ball will be dead immediately and replayed from the previous spot.

8. In the regular season, the sudden-death overtime rules will apply. But in the playoffs, only a touchdown on the initial drive will end the game. If the receiving team kicks a field goal, the other team gets a chance to match the score. If a team fumbles a punt or kickoff, it is considered an opportunity to score. Also, all replay reviews will be initiated by referees.

9. Centers are now allowed to wear uniform Nos. 50-79; defensive linemen can wear 50-79 and 90-99; linebackers can wear 50-59 and 90-99.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Rule Changes For 2010

Hmm...

1. I hope this doesn't actually make things worse. If I'm a defensive player, and I know I can stop a play by knocking a guy's helmet off, what do you think I'm going to do when I hit him?

4. That makes sense. If it's a fair catch, it shouldn't be a live ball until/unless it hits the ground.

7. Otherwise known as the Jerry Jones rule.

8. It's about time!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    1. I hope this doesn't actually make things worse. If I'm a defensive player, and I know I can stop a play by knocking a guy's helmet off, what do you think I'm going to do when I hit him?
    The NFL has taken an enormous amount of heat lately over all sorts of concussion related issues, including links to ALS, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, so this rule is obviously all about player safety in the short and long term. I'm thinkin' they're having visions of someone getting their helmet ripped off and still fighting for a first down or TD on the goal line with eleven guys trying no knock the snot out of them.

Guess we won't be seeing any more Jason Witten-like helmetless rumbles down the field.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The NFL has taken an enormous amount of heat lately over all sorts of concussion related issues, including links to ALS, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, so this rule is obviously all about player safety in the short and long term. I'm thinkin' they're having visions of someone getting their helmet ripped off and still fighting for a first down or TD on the goal line with eleven guys trying no knock the snot out of them.

Guess we won't be seeing any more Jason Witten-like helmetless rumbles down the field.
    I think it's a great rule, the league has been riddled with concusions over the last several years. One thing I would like to see implimented though would be the propper use of the equipment rule. If guys would button all the buttons on their chinstraps and tighten them up and have the helmet fit snug like it is supposed too, maybe they wouldn't fly off so easily. I am glad though the league is trying to take a step in the right direction in regards to player safety.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    I think it's a great rule, the league has been riddled with concusions over the last several years. One thing I would like to see implimented though would be the propper use of the equipment rule. If guys would button all the buttons on their chinstraps and tighten them up and have the helmet fit snug like it is supposed too, maybe they wouldn't fly off so easily. I am glad though the league is trying to take a step in the right direction in regards to player safety.
    Agreed. With players continuing to get stronger and faster, resulting in collisions becoming more and more violent, steps need to be taken to try and stem the tide of brain trauma.

Yeah, I get why they would want to have the rule. I'd just be concerned about unintended consequences. Now one way to put an end to forward progress will be to simply jar his helmet off. I imagine it'd be easier to knock Steven Jackson's chin strap loose with a shot from the shoulder to the base of the helmet on a legal hit than trying to bring him to the ground outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Yeah, I get why they would want to have the rule. I'd just be concerned about unintended consequences. Now one way to put an end to forward progress will be to simply jar his helmet off. I imagine it'd be easier to knock Steven Jackson's chin strap loose with a shot from the shoulder to the base of the helmet on a legal hit than trying to bring him to the ground outright.
    I hear what you're saying. Can you imagine players starting the practice of trying to knock helmets off the way they now strip at the ball? I don't see it happening, but you never know. If it did start to happen, I'm sure it would lead to a new set of rule changes.

I hear what you're saying. Can you imagine players starting the practice of trying to knock helmets off the way they now strip at the ball? I don't see it happening, but you never know. If it did start to happen, I'm sure it would lead to a new set of rule changes.
    Come to think of it, this might shed some light on Legarrette Blount's explanation of his latest fight in camp:

"It's not like they hit me so hard my helmet got knocked off. They kept knocking my helmet off,'' Blount says. "I lowered my shoulder and they reached around the back of my head and pulled my helmet off.

"When somebody loses their helmet, now the play is dead. It's supposed to die."

That's what is happening in Titans camp.

Slug is offline Registered User

8. Why can't they just say "First to 5" and be done with it?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I play amateur football in the UK (fully kitted) and we have to have our chin straps done up at all times, proper padding in at all times etc
    It's a matter of safety, and fairly common sense.

But it surprises me when i see players in the NFL be so blasé about safety equipment. If you get your helmet fitted properly and your chin strap done up tight, there should be no way it comes off without it being taken off on purpose.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

6. Officials will call more 15 yard penalties for spearing or launching at a defenseless player. Defenseless players are players who: Just threw a pass; attempt to catch a pass; are in the grasp; attempting a kick; on the ground at the end of the play.
    I dont think I like this rule. Sure the part for the kicker is fine, usually the smallest guy in the field. But I dont like that you cant hit a guy while he is trying to make a catch. I think it is entirely to much protection given to the WR.