Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

NFL should bring Rams back to L.A.

NFL should bring Rams back to L.A.
    Story Tools: XML
    Print Email Blog This
    John Czarnecki / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 27 minutes ago

If you are a wealthy fan, or more particularly an owner, the new football stadiums that dot the NFL landscape remain one of outgoing Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's shining stars to his legacy.

It remains an amazing accomplishment, 17 totally new stadiums in the last 11 seasons with five more on the way. The building boom is all the more remarkable considering NFL teams have only eight legitimate home games a season, while costs generally exceed those for the more economically-feasible baseball parks.

L.A. fans might not be wild about having a team ran by Georgia Frontiere, but the Rams' owner rarely attends games anymore. (Doug Benc / Getty Images)

These thoughts bring me to California, the NFL's most-embarrassing location. There is no team in Los Angeles and stadium woes in San Diego, San Francisco and Oakland.

People speculate all the time that the Chargers, the best team in California, could end up in Orange County if San Diego, more than a billion dollars in debt, can't help them build a new stadium. Over the last three seasons, the ***** and the Raiders have an identical (and disturbing) 13-35 record with little personnel hope on the horizon. With so much else to do in California, who wants to pay $100 to see such a bunch of losers?

Tagliabue wants to put a team in Los Angeles, but many feel that after the league's $30 million charitable experiment ends in New Orleans, the Saints will be asked to relocate to sunny California.

We don't need a straw poll to tell the NFL that Los Angeles fans aren't clamoring for the Saints. Fans here love their doubleheaders on television or going to a sports bar to watch their favorite team. Funny, but California is full of fans from other parts of America.

You may laugh, but there are a couple solutions available for this mess, one that may actually help stadium construction in California and also upgrade the economic viability of franchises like the Raiders and Chargers. With a new stadium operational in Arizona, the Raiders will rank last in league revenue this season despite the fact that they remain a top seller nationally of jerseys and T-shirts. We all know that much of the league likes keeping Davis in last place.

NFL OFF-SEASON LINKS
    NFL draft ...

Mock draft: Latest projection
    1.0 | 2.0 | 3.0 | 4.0 | 5.0 | 6.0
    Player Tracker ...
    NFC: East | North | South | West
    AFC: East | North | South | West

Top free agents ...
    Overall | Offense | Defense

Draft diaries ...

Darnell Bing
    Maurice Drew

NFL DRAFT VIDEO CENTRAL
    Click below for the latest draft news & interviews as well as video profiles of all the top prospects by position:
    News & Interviews
    QB | RB | WR | TE | OL | DL | LB | DB

Tagliabue got himself in this California hazy mess by failing to read the relocation map more than a decade ago. Instead of dealing expansion franchises to viable cities like Baltimore and St. Louis, he opted for new locales like Carolina and Jacksonville. The latter has proven to be an economic bust despite producing a quality, competitive team.

In the league's revenue-sharing plan, the Jags could receive almost $10 million annually from the big boys in Boston, Dallas and Washington in order to compete and remain solvent under the new collective bargaining agreement. We have all heard Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson whine about this deal, which could hurt every small-city franchise in the NFL.

To fix this predicament, the NFL's first move should be to bring the Rams back to Los Angeles.

Rams president John Shaw prefers to work and live in Los Angeles; plus there are many in L.A. who still follow the Rams. There is a much bigger connection here with the Rams than with the Saints, Bills, Vikings or Jaguars, the teams most-mentioned of using Los Angeles as a means to improving their bottom lines.

The Rams first showed up in Los Angeles in 1946. Did Los Angeles love the Rams? Well, you can go to the Coliseum offices and see photographs of the facility with more than 100,000 fans packed into it watching a Rams game. Even charity preseason games drew large crowds. Such crowds routinely occurred for a couple of decades. There are even California fans who still fly to St. Louis on weekends to catch a Rams game.

With the Rams back in Los Angeles, the NFL would have a better chance of getting a stadium proposal more to their liking in the city. I know local fans aren't wild about Rams owner Georgia Frontiere, but she rarely attends games anymore while living in Sedona. It's the name and uniforms that matter.

Now, with the Rams back where they belong, what should the NFL do with St. Louis, whose fans deserve a team, considering they have sold out every Rams game for 11 seasons?

Well, move the Raiders there. You can bet Al Davis would make a bunch of money in St. Louis, besides leaving his franchise in fine fiscal shape for his son, Mark. Getting the Raiders out of the Bay Area would most-assuredly help ***** owner John York's stadium plans. With only one NFL franchise in Northern California to support, the corporate manpower there should be able to figure out a viable plan for some interactive stadium to suit the internet junkies there.

Granted, people in St. Louis would be upset over losing the Rams, but they already lost the Cardinals; so the fan base is used to being, well, used by the NFL.

If they raise a stink, move the Cardinals back to St. Louis and the Raiders to Arizona. That may take some doing, but Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill and Davis could simply split their new local revenues 50-50. Both men would be better off than they are currently.

This plan makes more sense than bringing a fourth franchise to California, a state overwhelmed by fears of the Big One, and a state that can't find money for schools, colleges and new roads let alone new football stadiums. The state also has a huge immigrant strain and levees in the Central Valley ready to crack and flood America's agricultural heaven.

Franchise relocation has worked well for the NFL in the past. Moving franchises around is better than adding a 33rd team, an expansion team in Los Angeles, while there are American cities like New Orleans, Oakland and Jacksonville who can't properly (by NFL standards) support their current franchise.

I know it doesn't sound fair. But since when has being fair been a priority in big-time sports.

RamsFan16

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: NFL should bring Rams back to L.A.

I love this idea. That being said the Rams are going nowhere, Winning the Super Bowl while in St. louis will keep them there for many years to come.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

but so cal fans would rejoice, i would buy season tickets every season

So would i & i'm in Sacramento. Wouldn't it be great.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

What has the ST. LOUIS RAMS FAN done to deserve losing the Rams? Like or not, show up or not, they have sold that Dome out almost every game. Win or lose, the thing is sold out. So Cal turned their back on the Rams, just as St. Louis turned it's back on the Cardinals. The Raiders, please. Leave them in Oakland.

Let L.A. get the team (or teams) that need a home. Like New Orleans. No one would compain if the Saints moved. It actually may help New Orleans by being able to concentrate on homes for the displaced resident, not a Dome for a displaced NFL franchise.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

To fix this predicament, the NFL's first move should be to bring the Rams back to Los Angeles.
    Um.....No.

This would be like giving Iraq a lot of biological weapons if they promise to drop their nuclear program.

The best thing would be to leave the Rams in St. Louis, where they are. It's best for the Rams, St. Louis, and the NFL. Los Angeles had the Rams once, and lost them. They had the Raiders once...and they left. Even the Chargers were in LA once, and they got out of there, too.

Know what that says to me? LA doesn't have the football fever. But, if they really want a team, they should take the whiners out of San Francisco. The Bay area would still have the Faders, and I don't think it would be too hard for LA to have more fans in the stands for the whiners than SF has. I'd bet that Pfleugerville, Texas could get more people in the stadium than San Francisco. And, if LA can get the whiners to move there, then the name could be changed to one of these:
    1. The Earthquakes
    2. The Mudslides
    3. The Condors
    4. The Hollywood Stars
    5. The Fruits and Nuts
    or, my personal favorite...
    6. The TEMPORARIES!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I know the NFL is a business, but I find it disturbing how callously he talks about moving franchises around. It's not the NFL's decision whether a team moves or not anyway; it's the owner's with the approval of the NFL. Why would Georgia want to move when the team continues to sell out every game every season? Why mess with success? The Cardinals just got their new stadium; why would they want to move and why would St. Louis want them now? How can this guy honestly think that St. Louis is going to embrace just whomever they toss into the city? It ain't happening. If the Raiders need a move, send them to L.A.

St louis Rams fans have done nothing wrong. In fact they have been great & deserve the Rams with no question. But being a long time Rams fan & a California resident, i would love to see them here back in good old sunny California. What the hell will send St. Louis the Raiders.

Ram Warrior is offline Registered User

LIKE THE POST A LOT , I would love to see the rams where they really belong and thats in L.A. The Fans love the rams and when you think about it , They sold out the biggest stadium in the league the big C home of the Rams long before some here where born.I was born here and live here and i will say its not the same place it was when I was growing up it still is a great place to be ! So i take offense to the fruits crap go to san fran for that crap ! When they where at the Big C they sold out most the time at over 100,000. while the dodgers where winning world series and the Laker's where winning championships , Let see any other city do that !
    and yes there are a lot of L.A. Fans that own season tickets at the dome , I would be willing to say that if someone had the #'s that most of the fans still reside here in L.A. Now I know the Rams have millions of fans all over the world not only in L.A. But don't put down L.A. fans thats not right ether and if it was not for the L.A. fan loving the Rams so much you might not have a Rams team at all ! The history is long here the foundation was built here for the rams so please in the future don't tear down a place and FANS that helped make the Rams what they are today.This is still a very bitter thing for some Rams fan here.you have a team since 1946 and they are taken away by very deceitful purpose by a person that could care less about history or the fans !

Georgia Frontiere is the owner and chairman of the St. Louis Rams.

She inherited ownership of the team in 1979 after the death of her then-husband, Carroll Rosenbloom. The inheritance was designed as a tax dodge so that Georgia would not have to pay high taxes on Rosenbloom's estate, and it appears that he never intended for her to have a role with the team. But that was not Georgia's intention at all as she immediately took over control as owner and through her lawyers and tax attorneys began to make major changes to the team's organization. She quickly fired her stepson Steve Rosenbloom as the head-office executive and began hiring people loyal to her.

A native of St. Louis, Missouri, Georgia moved the Rams to St. Louis, which was a financially risky proposition initally but soon proved to be a goldmine as the city of St. Louis provided a publicly funded stadium for $260-million, and more than $22-million was guaranteed in annual luxury suite and ticket revenues. For a period of time, the St. Louis Rams were exposed to a great deal of public humiliation as the press and other NFL teams made fun of them for having the league's only female owner. There is a popular story that the Rams once entered the visiting team locker room at another team's stadium and found that the towels and the soaps provided to them were pink and that a lot of pink bunting had been hung on the walls.

NFL should bring Rams back to L.A.-300px-los_angeles_memorial_coliseum.jpgNFL should bring Rams back to L.A.-180px-los_angeles_memorial_coliseum_aerial.jpgNFL should bring Rams back to L.A.-1218_mid.jpg
    Last edited by Ram Warrior; -04-22-2006 at 06:53 PM.
    "Integrity is the formula of who a person Is or Is not"

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I realize that the Rams have a history in L.A., I became a fan of theirs out there.

However, what have the fans in STL ever deserved to always be a pawn in the NFL location game?

bigredman is offline Registered User

While I LOVE the idea of the Rams coming back to California, I just don't see it happening. This state can support 4 teams (2 NFC, 2 AFC), but support for public money is zero in this cash strapped state to accommodate rich millionaires, and there's no indication that private money is available to build a stadium anywhere in California. By the way St. Louis, I predict that within two years, the Rams' will be demanding a new stadium with increased luxury boxes and seating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    So Cal turned their back on the Rams
    As much as it pains me to say, this is absolutely true. The last few years in Anaheim were a joke. It's unfortunate that those of us who remained fiercely loyal and supportive through thick and thin had to suffer, but that's just the way it was. Although I would be ecstatic if they returned to SoCal, I'm perfectly happy seeing the Rams thrive in St. Louis. It's all about the horns.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    This state can support 4 teams (2 NFC, 2 AFC), but support for public money is zero in this cash strapped state to accommodate rich millionaires, and there's no indication that private money is available to build a stadium anywhere in California.
    So true, and NOTHING will happen without a new stadium.

Well stated guys , I'm happy where ever they are and always will be , it is about the team ! the RAMS thats what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I realize that the Rams have a history in L.A., I became a fan of theirs out there.

However, what have the fans in STL ever deserved to always be a pawn in the NFL location game?

Nothing nothing at all , Its was in my mind the post on the business aspect of the NFL and the money.
    NFL should bring Rams back to L.A.-slater-smith.jpgNFL should bring Rams back to L.A.-stl-ol.jpg
    Last edited by Ram Warrior; -04-23-2006 at 12:52 AM.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I know the NFL is a business, but I find it disturbing how callously he talks about moving franchises around.
    How true. To paraphrase a C & W song, The NFL gets the goldmine and the fans get the shaft. I'm so sick of franchises holding cities/states hostage for new stadiums every 10 years. I lived most of my life in LA. I've been to plenty of games. There are some great fans in LA. However, if the team ain't winning, the seats aren't being filled. There's so much to do in LA. No one is going to "waste" their hard earned dollar on a team that doesn't win. So if the NFL plans on moving a losing team to LA, they better hope that team starts winning before the novelty of a new team wears off. The NFL wants a team in LA for revenue, their 1st concern is not the fan.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast