RamWraith is offline Registered User

NFL suspends Seahawks starting RT Locklear for 1 game

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) The NFL has suspended Seahawks starting right tackle Sean Locklear for Sunday's game at Kansas City for violating its personal conduct policy.
    Advertisment

Locklear was arrested Jan. 15 on a charge of assaulting his girlfriend outside a downtown Seattle nightspot. In July, Locklear reached an agreement with prosecutors that avoided a trial. It requires him to perform community service for the next two years, undergo an evaluation and pay court costs.

The suspension is without pay, meaning Locklear forfeits $25,000 - 1/17th of his $425,000 base salary for this season. The third-round draft choice in 2004 drove away from team headquarters during practice Friday soon after the Seahawks learned of the suspension. He is eligible to return to Seattle's active roster on Monday.

Tom Ashworth will make his first start for the Seahawks in Locklear's place against the Chiefs. Ashworth started 30 regular-season games over the previous three seasons for the New England Patriots, 27 of them at right tackle.

Coach Mike Holmgren said he ``had an inkling'' that Locklear could be suspended sometime this season, but he was surprised by the timing.

``Every once in a while I am surprised by what takes place. And this is one of those,'' Holmgren said. ``But it is what it is.''

Locklear was already questionable with a left ankle injury.

Seattle also will be missing league MVP Shaun Alexander, Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, 2005 leading receiver Bobby Engram and starting left guard Floyd Womack. All are injured.

Kansas City quarterback Damon Huard, who has been filling-in for injured starter Trent Green, missed practice Friday with a groin strain. He is listed as questionable. Rookie Brodie Croyle practiced in his place and would, like Seattle counterpart Seneca Wallace, be making his first NFL start.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said he will decide Sunday if Huard will play.

The Seahawks have already made up their minds.

``Well, I suspect we will get Damon Huard,'' Holmgren said with a wry smile.

Engram ran routes with Seattle's practice squad on Friday, his first scrimmaging since a thyroid condition sidelined him following the Oct. 1 loss at Chicago. Holmgren said Engram continues to get fatigued easily as doctors try to slow his accelerated heart rate with medication.

``He gets tired - and he was one of those guys like the Energizer bunny. He could go all day,'' Holmgren said. ``This is a new feeling for him, and it's a little uncomfortable for him.''

Holmgren said the 11th-year veteran will have more testing on Monday to determine if Engram could possibly play Nov. 6 against Oakland. The coach said Engram's availability is a ``week-to-week thing.''

Engram refused comment until next week.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Re: NFL suspends Seahawks starting RT Locklear for 1 game

Oh my gosh, what is this the 5th time he assaulted a lady (that we know of)?

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Seems Bryce Fisher is a wife beater too...I hope the pieces of crap get what they deserve...prison time and a date with Bubba. :x

One of the many articles I found on them is below. Note the line in red where Holmgen defends their abuse...not that I needed any more reasons to hate him, but now I have one.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...99_hawk06.html
    Truth will be revealed on court cases, Holmgren says

By José Miguel Romero
    Seattle Times staff reporter

KIRKLAND — Predictably, Bryce Fisher and Sean Locklear weren't talking to the media about their well-publicized brushes with the law.

Along with most of their teammates, the two Seahawks took part in the first day of the team's June passing camp. The business of the day was football, and that will be the case for most of the next two weeks at team headquarters.

But there was an air of concern in coach Mike Holmgren's voice when asked how he has dealt with Fisher, who went to court for a pretrial hearing last week to answer to a charge of fourth-degree assault against his wife in April; and Locklear, whose trial for domestic assault is set to begin June 13 in Seattle Municipal Court.

"I talked to Sean a long time ago because this happened prior to the Super Bowl," Holmgren said. "I talked to Bryce because the story came out a fair amount of time after the actual incident. So I think I know what happened [with Fisher], and while I don't like to see my players in the headlines that way, when these things are finished and the court things are finished, everyone will kind of realize what happened."

Locklear apologized for his conduct after his arrest was made public and played for the Seahawks in the NFC title game a few days later. Fisher, a higher-profile player because of his local roots and military standing, has not spoken publicly about his arrest.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Hm, the timing here is interesting and not entirely bad for Seattle. He already might be missing the game anyway due to injury, and the Chiefs don't have the best pass rush in the world. And for that matter, the Seahawks are going to have a more mobile QB behind center and don't have worry about their franchise QB getting injured (because he's already out). Can't see much for them to complain about here if they were already bracing for a suspension at some point during the season anyway.

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    Oh my gosh, what is this the 5th time he assaulted a lady (that we know of)?
    What are you talking about? This is the first time the guy has ever been in trouble for anything. I just think all this tough talk is kind of funny coming from fans of a team that love them some Leonard Little. Glass houses, fellas. Nobody's dead in Seattle.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Can there be anything more pathetic than fans of two football teams debating what is worse - driving drunk or hitting a girlfriend?

How about we cheer for the good guys on our teams and leave it at that?

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Can there be anything more pathetic than fans of two football teams debating what is worse - driving drunk or hitting a girlfriend?

How about we cheer for the good guys on our teams and leave it at that?
    That's probably a wise plan.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

Chrome_CW is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Seems Bryce Fisher is a wife beater too...I hope the pieces of crap get what they deserve...prison time and a date with Bubba. :x
    It should be noted, that while you could call Bryce Fisher a Cheater that it really isn't fair to call him a wife-beater - Here's an excerpt from the news report that came to light over the summer:

Kirkland police were summoned to the Fisher home at 1:12 a.m. on April 11th, and arrived at the home shortly thereafter. Bryce Fisher had placed the call reported that his wife of less than a year had jumped on him and threatened to take his children after learning of a possible affair between Fisher and another woman.

Fisher’s wife, whose name was blacked out by Kirkland Police, came home late on April 10th and found Fisher in bed. After confronting him about the rumored affair, she threatened to call the alleged other woman using Fisher’s cell phone. That is when Fisher got up and tried to take his phone back.

Fisher grabbed his wife and put her in an arm bar, twisting her right wrist and pushing her face-down on the bed trying to get his phone back. The twisting of her wrist “caused her pain since she had surgery on her right wrist in July 2005 to repair a torn tendon.” When she voiced this to Fisher he told her he was trying to get back his property.

They continued to argue and then Fisher’s wife left the room to go downstairs and get their daughter and when she returned she found the Fisher had locked himself in the bathroom with their daughter and said they should call police and let them decide what to do.

After the two attending officers conferred about the two accounts and because of Fisher’s physical size compared to his wife’s, the officers decided to arrest Fisher on Assault/Domestic Violence charges.

Fisher faces a December 6th court appearance and claims that he meant no harm when he placed his wife in the “arm bar” while trying to retrieve his cell phone, according to police.

There are additional reports that state that the wife was the agressor in the case and had been hitting Fisher and that the arm bar was strictly done to restrain his wife and prevent her from injuring him. That's why Holmgren was defending him.