Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bruce4life is offline Registered User

niner fans need to be honest with themselves...

what have the niners actually dont this offseason??? lets take a deeper look

Nate Clements- A solid player who is in the top 5 of cornerbacks in the NFL. but he has been on a losing team his whole career and has never been in the playoffs...is he worth 80 million dollars though???? i dont think so...
    OVERALL GRADE- A

AUBREYO FRANKLIN- a player who has never really even played in the NFL... he has been a reserve his whole career. Nolan know him but he is unproven...
    OVERALL GRADE- C

TULLY BANTA CAIN- a product of bill belicheck's defensive scheme... see bobby hamilton, willie mcginiest( has been decent his whole career lets be honest people), chris slade, ted johnson....
    OVERALL GRADE- C

ASHLEY LELIE- A Player that has never lived up to his expectations.. 1st round bust enough said... can be a decent down the field threat at times, but can also be a lockerroom cancer..
    OVERALL GRADE- C

DARRELL JACKSON- THIS might be the niners best offseason pickup to me.... they desperately needed a wr that can scare defenses and they have half a one... he is too injury prone and drops too many balls... when he is on top of his game though, he can be one of the best...
    OVERALL GRADE- B-

THE NINERS STILL HAVE A LOT OF HOLES TO FILL PERIOD... ALL THESE EXPERTS PICK THE NINERS TO DO BIG THINGS BUT I JUST DONT SEE IT....

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: niner fans need to be honest with themselves...

The proof or lack off improvement will be shown come September. (Which can't come fast enough,seriously miss Rams football!!) Like most teams they are optomistic heading into the season, but I'm more of a realist and wait to judge performances where it counts, on the field on sunday's..

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Having been in Rochester for college, I got a lot of chances to see Clements play. He's a solid CB, don't get me wrong, but he's only a solid CB who shined on an below average team with a secondary that was either rookies, ancient, or not good(see Terrance McGee). I would not list him as a top five CB at all, he just cashed in on a sucker whiner team and a big increase of cap the last couple years.

As for the others, I've never heard of Franklin, Cain is, I agree a player who shined a little in NE and won't do as well without that system, Jackson can be a solid WR for them, but if he was still good, why would Seattle get rid of him for so little as a fourth? Finally, you all have seen my opinion of Lelie. He can only catch the long fly route, he won't go over the middle, and he has hands made from industrial grade concrete.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Funny thing is niners gave up the most ppg last year and had a worse defense than us. Somehow signing Clements fixed everything in the media's eyes. I think it's safe to say their defense is still worse than ours, obviously our offense is better, so why the media love affair with the niners? I honestly can't figure it out.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    what have the niners actually dont this offseason??? lets take a deeper look

THE NINERS STILL HAVE A LOT OF HOLES TO FILL PERIOD... ALL THESE EXPERTS PICK THE NINERS TO DO BIG THINGS BUT I JUST DONT SEE IT....
    Then take off the blue and gold blinders More than anything the team needed a legitimate NT (Franklin), someone to help with the pass rush (TBC), depth in the secondary (Clements, Lewis), and a few decent targets in the passing game for Smith (Jackson, Lelie).

The team did a pretty good job of filling holes this year, now it comes down to "if" - "If this player is effective..." "If that player does a good job...". The talent is there, but the real question, as with any FA acquisitions, is whether or not they can perform as well with their new team as they did with their old. I expect the new players to perform and improve the team as a whole, but we won't know if they really will until September.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Jackson can be a solid WR for them, but if he was still good, why would Seattle get rid of him for so little as a fourth? Finally, you all have seen my opinion of Lelie.
    Many Niner fans were wondering that same question. LargeAnt posted a pretty good explanation on our board:
    They got rid of him because he continually complained about some money that he believed was owed to him that was never in his contract. It's the only reason I've ever heard them give for why they got rid of him.

“We want you to want to be here,” Ruskell said. “We want you to be happy to be a Seahawk and work well with your teammates. That’s what we want and we just never really seemed to get to that point. Yeah, he’s a good player, we all know that. It wasn’t about the catches and the yards, it just never felt comfortable as a fit.”
    They were going to fork over more than $3 million this year and have to sit there and listen to Jackson repeatedly grousing. Jackson had been heard grumbling at management frequently. “Where’s my money?” he might say to Ruskell, or “You owe me money,” he could mumble at former exec Mike Reinfeldt.
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/538/story/51275.html
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Funny thing is niners gave up the most ppg last year and had a worse defense than us. I think it's safe to say their defense is still worse than ours,
    Nope. That's probably why you can't figure it out. You're looking at the final tally and assuming the defense was pretty consistent across the board. The fact is, over the first 7 games, the defense was giving up 30.7 points per game, including 20 to a Raiders team that was shut out 3 times and 34 to the Cards, which was tied for their highest total and the most they put up with Warner at QB. After some personnel and scheme changes, the defense gave up 18.9 points per game over the last 9 games. The Niner D was better against the run, about the same against the pass, about the same at getting to the QB, and in my opinion (and apparently the opinion of many others) did more to help themselves on that side of the ball than the Rams did this offseason.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The whiners schedule is one of the five easiest in the NFL. In our division, only the deadbirds have it easier. However, are they up to the challenge?

BD, I do respect your opinions. But, I don't see "Oakland West" doing any better than last year, despite the media's sucking up. Steve Smith wouldn't help out the whiners much as long as Alex Smith is at QB. I know you believe that the loss of Norv Turner won't make a huge difference (yes, I read your post at the freak) but I really expect a drop in offensive production. Since Chicago and Baltimore both proved that the "defense wins championships" saying is wrong, I don't see the whiner's defense making up the difference.

I still say 9-7 at the best, 7-9 is probable for SF this year.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Its funny that everyone, is still overlooking the biggest off-season change that will affect the whiners.... Norv Turner is no longer with the team. Its his system that allowed them to win ANY games last year. They won't be squat this year.
    Last edited by itsguud; -07-16-2007 at 07:39 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I have to be honest here. I predict the NFC West will be won by either us or the Whiners.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think folks like the ***** to do bigger things because they managed to be a lot more competitive last season than anyone expected, and now they're making more of an effort to stock up talent than they have in recent years. It's not just about the free agents, either. This time last year not everyone was sold on Frank Gore as a premier runningback and Alex Smith had come off a truly terrible rookie campaign. Now Gore looks like a top shelf back, and there's at least hope for Smith. Vernon Davis has all kinds of potential as a receiving TE, too.

As for the defense, Brandon Moore reportedly impressed people last season, Manny Lawson was a highly touted prospect in last year's draft, and Patrick Willis will probably be a formidable presence on the D sooner or later. Looking at the big picture here, they went from being arguably the worst team in the league in 2005 to a merely below average team in 2006. Now I still think they're a ways away from being a playoff contender, but I guess people figure the ***** have a shot of at least making it into the playoffs because the NFC West is perceived to be so weak

big_country78 is offline Registered User

yeah its the same EXPERTS who picked the AZ Cardinals to win big last year.

the NFC west is anyone's divison, and is really competitive, the 1st team to 9 wins probably wins the divison.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Since Chicago and Baltimore both proved that the "defense wins championships" saying is wrong, I don't see the whiner's defense making up the difference.
    But who's talking championships? I certainly don't expect a Super Bowl, but I don't find the idea of a Wild Card berth, maybe a division title, at 9-7 too far fetched. And the Bears and Ravens may not have won it all, but both of them had playoff berths and first round byes. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the Turner issue.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Its funny that everyone, is still overlooking the biggest off-season change that will affect the whiners.... Norv Turner is no longer with the team. Its his system that allowed them to win ANY games last year. They won't be squat this year.
    a) the system is still in place. Turner may have left, but his offense didn't
    b) I'd have to give credit for the team's wins to Frank Gore rather than the system.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    a) the system is still in place. Turner may have left, but his offense didn't
    b) I'd have to give credit for the team's wins to Frank Gore rather than the system.

Like it or not, this is probably true. They wouldn't have won 7 games in that system if it had been Kevan Barlow in the backfield instead of Frank Gore.

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

I think some Rams fans on here need to be honest with themselves. The offense is good on paper, but until that Oline holds up and protects Bulger, it won't produce to it's full potential. More importantly the defense is still gonna be terrible for about a year or two.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Light Guy View Post
    I think some Rams fans on here need to be honest with themselves. The offense is good on paper, but until that Oline holds up and protects Bulger, it won't produce to it's full potential. More importantly the defense is still gonna be terrible for about a year or two.
    BLG, I think you've been fair and rational with many of your posts, and have agreed with most of your thoughts and responses. ...until now.

Just being honest with myself here...

I believe you're underestimating the Rams O-Line. We were hit with tons of injuries on the O-line and had to juggle our line for most of the year. In the end though, the "kids" began to gel and did a really good job of protecting Marc. With Pace back and a year under the O-line's belt, this line will be good, make no mistake about that. (removing my blue and gold glasses) I see an offense that will rank in the top three this year. (please write this down now and feel free to get back with me as the year progresses) This offense was good on the field last year, not just "on paper", and will be even better this year.

And as for our defense, as bad as we were last year, the ***** were every bit as bad. This defense is NOT going to be terrible. It won't be top 10, but it will be much improved over last year's squad. Remember, we're in year #2 of an entirely new coaching staff. With mediocre personnel on defense last year, and a new coaching staff, we still went 8-8. We had to deal with a whole new system on both offense AND defense, and we were still within a couple of field goals from winning the NFC West. If we had made NO changes, it would've surprised me if the defense didn't improve this year. With some of the additions (AND subtractions) we've made, Haslett WILL get his defense going this year. And this Ram offense will be good. Really good. The running game is better, the TE position is much better, and our receivers are, well... they're Ram receivers. ...'nuff said.

The ***** have a new OC, which in itself will be a huge challenge, and I don't understand the hype on a team with Alex Smith at QB, and receivers that are oft-injured and one that has a severe case of the "dropsies". Their best receiver is probably their TE! ..and the defense? What makes anyone think the ***** defense will be better than the Rams? It wasn't last year. Not in total points allowed. ...and really, isn't that really the only defensive stat that matters?

I believe this division is between the Hawks and Rams. It will take significant injuries on either team to bring the ***** into the mix. The **** and Ram defenses will have similar stats, nothing spectacular about either. But the offense of the Rams will be far better than that of the ******, and by a larger margin than last year, when we were adjusting to a new system. Having said all that, I still see the Rams finishing ahead of the ******. It's the Hawks we have to catch.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Light Guy View Post
    So says the Chiefs fan who hates the Rams and is too blinded by his red and white glasses to see our team clearly.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast