RamWraith is offline Registered User

No More Nfl Europe

NFL International to focus on global impact:
    NFL Europa discontinued

(June 29, 2007) -- The NFL has determined that it will switch the focus of its international business strategy to presenting the NFL to the widest possible global audience, including broader media visibility and the staging of international regular-season games, and will discontinue NFL Europa.

"The time is right to re-focus the NFL's strategy on initiatives with global impact, including worldwide media coverage of our sport and the staging of live regular-season NFL games," commented Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International.

"We will continue to build our international fan base by taking advantage of technology and customized digital media that make the NFL more accessible on a global scale than ever before and through the regular-season game experience. NFL Europa has created thousands of passionate fans who have supported that league and our sport for many years and we look forward to building on this foundation as we begin this new phase of our international development."

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Re: No More Nfl Europe

R.I.P NFL Europa

big_country78 is offline Registered User

dont you mean NFL Germany? i realize there was one dutch team, but all the other teams were in germany. i liked watching the games, im sorry it didn't work.

but then too its an american sport, maybe it will never catch on anywhere. especially amongst SOCCER FANS

Keenum is offline Registered User

And the thing was, this league did NOT try to compete with the NFL... it WAS the NFL but in Europe. After failures of the XFL and USFL, you have to wonder just how the UFL will do...

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I am disappointed in the abandonment of NFL Europa by the NFL. The fans at the World Bowl were painted up, dressed up and quite vocal in a greater proportion than what I have seen at NFL games here in the US.

I understand that the league lost money. However, by using the logic used to shut down NFL Europa, the NFL would have closed up in 1936 (during the Great Depression, to boot). As a result, the ability to generate NFL interest across the globe has been all but killed. Playing a game every couple of seasons abroad draws fans to the NFL, but there will not be any expansion of teams outside of the US.

The international soccer community should be happy about that since soccer is called football everywhere but the US. Thus, the NFL has abandoned the Germans and the Dutch who have hung on through the years in support of those teams.

Let us not forget those players that developed or restarted careers with NFL Europe. J.T. O'Sullivan was signed by the Lions and you may see him on the field this season. O'Sullivan is good so Mike Furrey might end up with 1500 yards receiving in that scenario.

Mr. Goodall, I applaud the crackdown on players putting a black eye on their team and the league, but shutting down NFL Europa was a bad idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

I wonder of there is a balance sheet somewhere which shows (honestly) the profit (or lack of) made by NFL Europa.

Maybe Roger was tired of a year-round job...
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I think I remember reading they were losing 35 million a year. Plus possibly starting in2010 there will be 17 games played by each team with one regular season NFL game played in Europe every week.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I don't like this at all, it gave exposure to those players who had the talent but were never given the oppotunity, so we're never gonna see players like Warner and Delhomme who come from no where to lead their teams. Also wasn't the attendence at the games increasing this year??

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I think I remember reading they were losing 35 million a year. Plus possibly starting in2010 there will be 17 games played by each team with one regular season NFL game played in Europe every week.
    Well. I can see closing it down if it were losing $35M a year I suppose. This means the league was totally supported by the NFL?

Maybe if they sold franchises to private parties it might work out? The logistics of sharing players may be difficult under those circumstances though....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

The Detroit Free Press reports the NFL is exploring a plan where each team would play one game outside the United State each season, according to league vice president Mark Waller. Waller also hopes to have teams based in London, Mexico and Canada within a decade. The league is shifting its strategy for overseas growth by playing regular-season games to other countries. As a result, the league may add a game to the schedule. "You'd play eight at home, eight away, and one game internationally," Waller said. The Super Bowl could also be played abroad, but the league's owners would need to approve any such plan.
    This is probably the reason. This stinks with greed and the Super Bowl being played outside the US in completely unacceptable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    This is probably the reason. This stinks with greed and the Super Bowl being played outside the US in completely unacceptable.
    Agreed, Alpha.

It may nice for the NFL fans in other nations but why punish those inside the country which have supported the game for so long. It's not like they cannot sell out the games regardless of how high the prices get. That and the tax revenues to the cities which host the game who, btw, are franchisees.:x
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Bummer.....the door is closed. I guess we lose all those soccer fans.

Nah, I seriously doubt we will lose all the fans, but they will not get anymore live games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Bummer.....the door is closed. I guess we lose all those soccer fans.

Nah, I seriously doubt we will lose all the fans, but they will not get anymore live games.
    It is sad on a number of reasons;young players won't be able to get the game-tme experience which is essential in their development as players thus giving them a better chance at making an impact in the NFL. It also takes Football out of Europe; however in recent years the franchises have been mostly placed in Germany. Since the Claymores were made defunct football in the UK has continued to be as popular so it hasn't had that much affect on the fans. With the game next season in London and with more expected to follow in London and germany really the interest in the game will improve.

On another note I would agree with Alpha that the SuperBowl should always be played in the US. IMO it's just not right to take that away from the country where the game was born. However Football is a big business and the NFL realizes there is an international market for the game that so far has remained pretty un-taped bringing with it a lot of money and wealth. I do believe it is a good thing to bring the NFl to Europe to let more fans attend a live game, but it should be done very slowly and clearly thought through. I don't think it makes sense to have a franchise reside in Europe but possibly have a 17 game season (playng 1 game abroad) and drop a Pre-Season game, meaning the loyal US fans don't miss out on a home game out of their season..

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

You are right Big Game. Some young lads will miss out on the opportunity to get a chance to play in the NFL and some US potentials will have no where to go to develop if they are not good enough to be a starter in the states.

No worries though, the NFL is a business and it will be back in Europe if there is truly a demand for it. The mighty dollar, pound, or euro will prevail.

I can't see a SuperBowl being held anywhere outside the US. That would be wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey, there is still NFL Japan!

Did anyone know it existed?

http://www.nfljapan.co.jp/
    RnD

GO RAMS!!