Guam rammer is offline Registered User

No more smash mouth football?

With the aquisition of bennette and McMichael, does this mean that SJ won't be seeing too much action out of the backfield?

I've read about questions to Bulger in regards to sharing the ball to all our talented offensive players and i wonder, are we gonna stay balanced and be smashmouth? or are we gonna be slinging the rock.

I kinda enjoyed watching SJ run over people, But i'll take whatever works out for the team. If SJ doesnt get his share of the load, i suspect he'll be unhappy. How many more years to his contract?

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: No more smash mouth football?

I could be wrong but I believe he has 2 years left on his current contract,I still believe that we will have a balanced offense.Sure we have more options but no-way will SJ get neglected,he is to vital a component to our offense for that to happen..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I doubt his carries go down, but I do expect his receptions will fall by about 1/3rd.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I doubt his carries go down, but I do expect his receptions will fall by about 1/3rd.
    I would expect that also,I think even SJ would admit that 90 catch season's for a RB are pretty much a one off and couldn't be expected every year..

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I don't think that we'll get away from smashmouth football any time soon. Just because we acquired a wr and a te doesn't mean he will be neglected. He should be happy that we acquired these guys. Last year he was taking the offense on his shoulders, so sure he put up all these impressive numbers but his body also took a beating. I would also suspect that we going to see a lot of Bennette in the red zone, where we have troubles. McMichael will probably be used all over the field. I am still expecting Jackson to break the 1000 yard marker though.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I think that this offense could get up on teams early and then give it to SJ to run the clock. I think that was a major problem with the Rams in the past. Letting teams hang around because of their inability to run the clock out.

That to me is smashmouth football. Being able to score early and often, then letting your workhorse wear the defense and the clock down.

Of course this is all depending on the Rams ability to ocassionally shut down offenses.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    With the aquisition of bennette and McMichael, does this mean that SJ won't be seeing too much action out of the backfield?

I've read about questions to Bulger in regards to sharing the ball to all our talented offensive players and i wonder, are we gonna stay balanced and be smashmouth? or are we gonna be slinging the rock.

I kinda enjoyed watching SJ run over people, But i'll take whatever works out for the team. If SJ doesnt get his share of the load, i suspect he'll be unhappy. How many more years to his contract?
    We shouldn't forget that Randy was acquired for his blocking prowess as much as for his receiving abilities, therefore he will in all likelihood make our running game even more dangerous. Aaron Walker was our best blocking TE last year -- Randy should be a significant upgrade, let alone his receiving skills. As far as his attitude goes -- if we are winning games he'll be a happy camper. IMO we are an improved team (with the exception of the run defense -- so far), but whether we are improved enough to offset the improvements of the other teams in our division -- the jury's still out.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

I don't see the correlation. Passing the ball isn't generally considered smash mouth. Smash mouth football is hard running right up the gut. Jackson does that plenty well and I'm sure he'll get more than enough touches to keep you happy

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard