AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Norv Turner Hired By Chargers

This is a big blow to the Niners, who will now have a new OC coaching their very young QB.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Re: Norv Turner Hired By Chargers

This is who I thought they would hire. They didn't want a first year head coach with this team. As I said in another thread I would have went for Dan Reeves but whatever. I think Turner can be a good HC. He wasn't that bad at Washington and you can't count his time with the Raiders. I mean nobody can win there anymore.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's the story from ESPN:

Sources: Chargers will hire Turner as next head coach

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Hoping the third time will be a winner for Norv Turner, the San Diego Chargers on Monday morning reached agreement with the San Francisco offensive coordinator to succeed Marty Schottenheimer as head coach, ESPN.com has learned.

Turner, 54, compiled a 59-83-1 record as head coach of the Washington Redskins (1994-2000) and the Oakland Raiders (2004-2005). He served as the San Francisco offensive coordinator last season and was credited with the dramatic progress achieved by *****' second-year quarterback Alex Smith.

Contract details were not immediately available, but league sources and also sources close to Turner said the two sides were in accord on all major components.

One of six known candidates interviewed by San Diego officials after Schottenheimer was dismissed, Turner was the lone man with primary expertise on the offensive side. Originally, it was believed the Chargers preferred that their new head coach have a background on the defensive side of the ball.

Turner interviewed earlier this month for the head coach vacancy in Dallas, where he played a big role as the Cowboys' offensive coordinator during the team's dominance in the 1990s, but did not land that job.

In San Diego, he will inherit a high-octane Chargers offense featuring star tailback and 2006 most valuable player LaDainian Tomlinson. But Turner will also be responsible for the continued development of quarterback Philip Rivers, who was in his first year as the starter in 2006.

Longtime league assistant coach Ted Cottrell, whose experience with the 3-4 defense is extensive, will meet early this week with San Diego officials about the position of defensive coordinator for the Chargers, ESPN.com has learned.

The interview could take place as early as Monday and, barring complications, should result in the Chargers hiring Cottrell, who worked in the NFL office in 2006. It is believed Turner has already approved the addition of Cottrell to his staff.

The focus on Cottrell, who has a past history with San Diego general manager A.J. Smith, suggested earlier Monday that the Chargers were strongly considering hiring Tuner as their head coach.

Beyond Turner, the other known San Diego head coach candidates  Gary Gibbs (New Orleans), Mike Zimmer (Atlanta), Mike Singletary (San Francisco), Ron Rivera (Chicago) and Rex Ryan (Baltimore)  are all coaches whose expertise is on the defensive side. All but Singletary are current coordinators.

Landing Cottrell for the defensive post, and adding Turner as head coach, could provide the Chargers the best of all worlds.

Cottrell has interviewed in the past for head coach positions, and came very close to landing the top job in San Francisco four years ago, but the meeting with Chargers officials is strictly an interview for the team's defensive coordinator spot, several sources said.

San Diego officials prefer to retain a 3-4 defense, the scheme for which the personnel is best suited, and hiring Cottrell would permit that. Cottrell was actually recommended to Schottenheimer by Smith when then-Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired by the Dallas Cowboys as their new head coach.

Schottenheimer instead leaned toward hiring his younger brother, Kurt Schottenheimer, as the replacement for Phillips. In addition to Marty Schottenheimer, the Chargers, who posted an NFL-best 14-2 record in 2006 but were ousted in the divisional round of the playoffs, have lost five assistant coaches since the end of the season. That includes both coordinators.

Cottrell, 59, possesses 22 seasons of NFL experience as an assistant coach, including three stints as a defensive coordinator. He most recently worked as coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings (2004-2005). Cottrell lost his job when the Vikings fired coach Mike Tice after the 2005 season, and he worked in the NFL office in 2006.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Poor Alex Smith....

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This is good news for the Rams. I didn't want N. Turner to stay with the **** because I could see him developing Smith into a real NFL QB and further building an effective offense. Hope this hurts the Whiners as whoever they hire to fill the OC job will not be as qualified as Norv Turner. Maybe an OC from one of the vector schools (SW by NW,or Ne by SE State) will be interested.

WHAT SAY YE?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Chargers hire Stomach Turner?!!!!

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

I am displeased. Nolan has said that he will keep the same playbook to try to provide as much continity for all the young players on O. The likely candidate to replace him right now is WRs coach Jerry Sullivan, who was AZ's OC a couple years ago (they were last in PPG that year ). Maybe Nolan can convince Marvin Lewis to let him interview Bengals QB coach Ken Zampese, who worked with Carson Palmer. I'm sure Nolan will figure something out.

I was looking forward to seeing what Smith would look like after another offseason with Turner. This is definitely a blow. With that being said, Turner wasn't going to make or break Alex Smith. He works hard and probably would've gotten better had Turner not joined the team last year. He'll more than likely get better without him this year.

I'm going to enjoy watching the Chargers underachieve this year. F Turner!

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    I suppose I am the only one who has any faith in Norv. Which is fine, I'm used to being right about things that most people are wrong about.

Anyway, I'm predicting right now on this thread that the Chargers will make the SB next year. The offense will be stellar and the defense will run itself.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

I can understand not winning in Oakland, but I'll never forget his season with the Skins where they started 7-1, only to finish 9-7, missing the playoffs. That's what I think of when I think of Norv Turner the HC. The guy just isn't cut out to be a HC; he's too soft.

Norv's saving grace will be that the Chargers are too talented to not make the playoffs, but they'll probably finish around 10-6 or 11-5.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I am displeased. Nolan has said that he will keep the same playbook to try to provide as much continity for all the young players on O. The likely candidate to replace him right now is WRs coach Jerry Sullivan, who was AZ's OC a couple years ago (they were last in PPG that year ). Maybe Nolan can convince Marvin Lewis to let him interview Bengals QB coach Ken Zampese, who worked with Carson Palmer. I'm sure Nolan will figure something out.

I was looking forward to seeing what Smith would look like after another offseason with Turner. This is definitely a blow. With that being said, Turner wasn't going to make or break Alex Smith. He works hard and probably would've gotten better had Turner not joined the team last year. He'll more than likely get better without him this year.

Spoken like a "true" 9er fan, props to you Brain Daddy.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I'm looking forward to the decline of Alexis Smith and the rest of the ***** offense.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Now if Seattle would promote Marmie to DC....

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

lets send in a fake OC to the niners!

"Alex, you see those guys with the Rams horns on their helmets? i want you to throw the ball to them..."

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Now if Seattle would promote Marmie to DC....
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I congrajulated all my KC friends b/c the Cheifs are guerenteed at least to second place in the AFC West next year.