Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Not everyone happy about a Martz offense

Tuesday, January 29, 2008
    Rob Parker:

Lions' Jones is looking forward

Lions running back Kevin Jones faces an uncertain future.
    Not only does Jones have to come back from offseason knee surgery, he has to convince the Lions that he, indeed, is the back they're looking for.
    New offensive coordinator Jim Colletto didn't mince words when he said the Lions need a strong running back and are committed to running next season.
    Jones welcomes the challenge and the approach. He didn't shed any tears when offensive coordinator Mike Martz was fired after the season. Martz, the creator of the Greatest Show on Turf, didn't hesitate to abandon the run.

"Am I happy?" said Jones about Martz's dismissal. "Yeah.
    "I'm happy because they have Jim Colletto in there now. I know he's going to run the ball and give the running backs an opportunity to get in the game and play the way it's supposed to be played."
    Opportunity missing

Jones, 25, wasn't given enough carries to make a difference. In five games this past season, he had fewer than double-digit carries, including only three carries for 1 yard against the Vikings in a 42-10 loss.
    In all, Jones, the former Virginia Tech star, had 153 carries for 581 yards (3.8 average) with eight touchdowns.
    "It was very frustrating because I worked so hard to get back on the field," said Jones, who came back from a left foot injury. "And it wasn't even for any selfish reasons.
    "It was, for one, to keep my job, and two, to help the team win. And I came back when I could, as early like I did because I felt we had the potential of winning and making it to the playoffs."
    Jones felt betrayed by Martz. He had to receive a shot before every game to reduce his pain just to play. "I felt I wasn't given the opportunity to help the team," he said.
    Jones said Martz was the reason the team didn't "Pound the Rock" as coach Rod Marinelli always proclaimed. "He had control over that area and wouldn't budge," Jones said. "He just wanted to throw."
    Rushing necessary

Jones watched the Giants, in beating the Packers to advance to the Super Bowl, use a balanced attack with 40 passes and 39 runs. "You see what can happen when you have a balanced attack?" he said.
    "You have to run the ball in this league -- every week, every week. We should never go away from it."
    Jones, entering the last year of his contract, has had only one problem other than getting the ball --staying healthy. He suffered another season-ending injury Dec. 23.
    "I'll be fine," said Jones, who is rehabbing in Alabama. "I had the worst injury a running back can have (foot) and came back. Everybody comes back from a knee, for the most part. It's just a bump in the road for me."
    Despite all that has happened in Jones' four seasons with the Lions he's still optimistic about the 2008 season.
    "We can get this turned around and I can help," he said.

Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Not everyone happy about a Martz offense

Seems to be a reoccuring theme for RB's to get on Martz for not running the ball. Jackson did the same and Faulk complained about touches toward the end. Faulk in his prime was the only time a running back did not complain about Martz. However Faulk in his prime was used a lot in passing situations.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

Martz will do good for San FRan, But Not good enough without top level WR'S

bigredman is offline Registered User

Martz will destroy the chemistry among the SF coaching staff. Frank Gore thought he had problems last year? Wait until Mad Martz and his 65% passing attack his SF, with no good receivers and a QB with girl's hands. I can't wait to stomp on these losers next year and give Martz the full monte with my kilt on in SF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Martz will destroy the chemistry among the SF coaching staff. Frank Gore thought he had problems last year? Wait until Mad Martz and his 65% passing attack his SF, with no good receivers and a QB with girl's hands. I can't wait to stomp on these losers next year and give Martz the full monte with my kilt on in SF.
    So does this mean we're getting seats behind the niners bench next year? Hopefully we can get more than just the 2 of us to go next year.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Kevin Jones....the most overrated starting RB outside of his namesake in Dallas, Julius Jones. Whatever he says is about as relevant as Bill Clinton not inhaling.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Although Kevin Jones is doing a bit of the unthinkable "CRYING IN FOOTBALL". Who's right him or Martz?? The Lions have a very defensive minded Headcoach that needed a wizard to get the offense going.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Who's right him or Martz??
    Yes, who is right? Who knows more about putting points on the board........Mike Martz or Kevin Jones?

Anyone who takes more than a milli-second (or worse, answers wrong) to answer this correctly is so far behind the curve, that an explanation as to the correct answer would be waste of time and effort.

Yes, who indeed?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Kevin Jones....the most overrated starting RB outside of his namesake in Dallas, Julius Jones. Whatever he says is about as relevant as Bill Clinton not inhaling.
    So when Jones speaks his mind about Martz it's not relevant, but when Hedgecock rips Linehan it's "refreshing"? Come on.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Yea, it is refreshing. Hedgecock has demonstrated this year that his blocking skills are extremely valid to the success of a Super Bowl team like the Giants. Jones hasn't done SQWAT since being drafted by the Lions.

Next.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Hey....what are you doing with my figurine? AlphaRam was to make me one of Bruce. You two timing me AlphaRam?
    :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Yea, it is refreshing. Hedgecock has demonstrated this year that his blocking skills are extremely valid to the success of a Super Bowl team like the Giants. Jones hasn't done SQWAT since being drafted by the Lions.

Next.
    Oh please. I'm not a Martz hater, I understand and appreciate what he did for us most of the time, but you're blinded by your love of Martz.

Hedgecock is hardly a top notch fullback. I watched a lot of Giants games this year and watched him get blown up plenty of times this year, along with dropping easy passes. Hedge is ok, he did a nice job but nothing spectacular. Kevin Jones is a decent RB when they decide to use him. Jones wasn't even supposed to play this year because of his foot injury and yet he came back and gave 100%.

The Lions organization is dysfunctional, and Jones criticism of Martz is valid. Martz is pass happy and abandons the run at times. That's a fact. We ALL WATCHED Martz abandon the run in Super Bowl 36 along with many other games, so again Jones criticism is valid.

If Hedge ripping Linehan is refreshing then Jones criticizing Martz is valid also. It's not like Hedge is some superstar, and Jones is a nobody.

Take off the "Martz Love Glasses" and look at it objectively.

Next.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Next.
    Kevin Jones made the Pro Bowl his rookie season, so he has done SQWAT. Regardless, when did ability have anything to do with speaking your mind? Jones, along with many other players and most of the Lions coaching staff voiced their displeasure with Martz as a disruptive force and someone who was difficult to work with. What a surprise. Martz is a great offensive mind, but he will always be a divider. The whiners will find that out soon enough.

As for Hedgecock, he has a right to speak his mind just like any other player, but saying his blocking skills are "extremely valid" to the success of a Super Bowl team like the Giants is debateable, very debateable. I do hope he has the game of his life on Sunday.

I guess "refreshing" is in the eye of the beholder.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Let's see here........Kevin Jones is still a Lion. Mike Martz was let go. Jones must be wrong. NOT!

Wow, so one Pro Bowl year by Jones trumps Martz, and staying on the Lions trumps Martz.

I hope Martz never comes to the Rams. He might actually help them to a Super Bowl appearance and a Super Bowl win or something. I'd rather have a RB with 1 Pro Bowl tell me how to run my offense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast