DJRamFan Guest

Obscene gesture has Plummer under scrutiny again

Dec. 13, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

DENVER -- Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer probably lost more than just his cool when he made an obscene gesture toward the stands.

Advertisement

The NFL is reviewing Plummer's actions under its long-standing policy that prohibits public displays of profanity, a review that will likely lead to a fine.

Plummer didn't do himself many favors in a city that is already a little fed up with his performance this season.

Plummer was not available for comment Monday, the day after a shaky 20-17 victory over lowly Miami that kept the Broncos (8-5) tied with Baltimore for the AFC's final wild-card spot.

Plummer threw two interceptions. After the first, he made an obscene gesture toward the stands, which was caught by TV cameras carrying the game on CBS.

He apologized Sunday, saying "One guy got into my head a little bit. It shouldn't be that way."

Jake Plummer has thrown six interceptions over the past two games. (AP)
    On Monday, his coach and teammates chimed in.

"I think Jake understands that this game is very tough on the quarterback," coach Mike Shanahan said. "You work your way through it. If you're mentally tough enough, you survive. If not, you acquiesce and you're gone."

Plummer, who has thrown six interceptions without a touchdown in the last two games, has been involved in several non-football issues this season.

Several weeks ago, he insisted on wearing a sticker to honor former teammate Pat Tillman, who quit football to join the Army and was later killed in Afghanistan. Plummer won that PR battle, getting the NFL and the Broncos to agree to airing public-service announcements honoring Tillman and putting his No. 40 near the play clock at Mile High.

Last week, Plummer came under withering criticism from former teammate Shannon Sharpe, who said Plummer would never be more than an average quarterback despite Shanahan's attempts to help him get better.

Plummer downplayed those comments, saying he never heard them. On Sunday, though, he had trouble ignoring the criticism from the stands.

"It surprised me so much," defensive lineman Trevor Pryce said. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you?' I'd expect something like that from me, not from him. But Jake, he's such a fiery guy."

His obscene gesture was front-page material in Denver and was played over and over on national highlight shows.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL's stance on profanity has not changed and the case would be reviewed under the league's long-standing policy that prohibits public displays of profanity.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Obscene gesture has Plummer under scrutiny again

The pressures getting to Jake. At least he didn't leap into the stands and start throwing punches.

moklerman Guest

I used to be on the Jake bandwagon, thinking that he was a good qb on a terrible team in Arizona. Apparently that wasn't the case. He's still making the same stupid, inopportune mistakes that led to Arizona finally cutting ties with him. I guess if Arizona's willing to let you go it might be indicitive of your ability. Okay, Arizona's never right but Jake's not what i thought he was.

On a side note, I've been picking Denver all year as the team where Warner will land next year. Jake's performances and actions seem to be making that more and more of a possibility. I've read that Shanahan is a Warner fan and would have liked to have him if the timing would have been a little different. Will Shanahan stay in Denver? It's iffy. If he does though, I think he will go after Warner.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

That would be very interesting.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    On a side note, I've been picking Denver all year as the team where Warner will land next year
    I also read that if Warner's release had come earlier, he might have landed in Denver...as you said Mokler....Shanahan has been a Warner fan for quite some. The prospect of Warner showing what he can do on a real team is an interestic prospect, to say the least. I hope it works out for him.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

DJRamFan Guest

Warner in Denver would be VERY interesting and I think it would be a good fit. I've always like Plummer, like mok, so it's disappointing to see him continue a bad trend.