HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Observations from the NE/NO game

Yea, I know, it's not the Rams, but it's still football so I watched it. Here's my thoughts:

Patriots
    The Patriots have to be one of the most intriguing teams in the league. They have no superstars (don't say Brady, because he is nothing great), but they seem to win games effortlessly. They manhandled the Saints, until their 3rd stringers gave up 15 points in 19 seconds to lose it in the 4th quarter. But the 1st string, and even 2nd string, did whatever they wanted to. Nothing flashy, just effective.

- The Patriots share a brain, they have to. With the exception of a Givens miscue in the endzone, I saw NO miscommunication. I swear, they're all hard-wired together. Nobody is out of position, nobody over runs or under runs a play, they are completely in sync.

- Rodney Harrison may still be the hardest hitting safety in the league....he's a cheap shot artist, but he's a hard hitter too.

- Dan Klecko is a blue-collar hero. The guy plays DT, FB, HB, TE, & LB.

- If Jamaal Brown had any doubts that he was a rookie, Willie McGinist made sure he knew.

Saints
    Did anybody notice that the Saints WON this game?!?!
    Yea, me neither.

-The Saints should have confidence at:
    RB
    C
    KR/PR
    Everywhere else should be referred to as "???".

- Did Joe Horn even want to be on the field last night? I don't think so.

- Jamaal Brown may be a solid OT eventually, but last night Willie McGinist did what he wanted to, when he wanted to. The education of Jamaal Brown has begun.

- The Saints defense looked like the '04 Rams Defense. It was tentative and very hesitant. Defenders were out of position all night, and getting knocked around every play. They looked slow and were constantly trying to catch up. Unless they can convince every other team to play 3rd and 4th stringers in the 4th quarter, the Saints are going to have problems.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Observations from the NE/NO game

Sorry bison, but Brady is special. He's above great. He's very special.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Sorry bison, but Brady is special. He's above great. He's very special.
    Other than being on the roster of 3 SB winners, what is special about him? He has a good pocket presence, but with an OL like his he should, the man's got all day to throw. I think there are at least a dozen different QBs that would have had the exact same results in NE as Brady. I just don't see where he is an individual standout.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

See, that's the thing. Everyone thinks anyone can do it, but in all honesty everyone can't. You put Tony Banks behind that O line, and no way do the Patriots win that many Super Bowls.

Sometimes, it's time to give credit where credit is due. Tom Brady deserves the credit.

See, that's the thing. Everyone thinks anyone can do it, but in all honesty everyone can't. You put Tony Banks behind that O line, and no way do the Patriots win that many Super Bowls.

Sometimes, it's time to give credit where credit is due. Tom Brady deserves the credit.
    That's why I said I could think of at least a dozen QB's who could do his job. Tony Banks is not one of the dozen.

Don't get me wrong. Brady's not horrible, but he's not a hero either. He's a good QB in a great system.

And yes credit is due. It just seems that Brady gets more than his share of credit. He may be the face of the Pats, but he's not "THE" reason the Pats have done what they have done.

This is what impressed me last night about Brady. He throws a pick on his first attempt, then comes back the next series and connects on a beautiful bomb. It seemed like the pick didn't faze him one bit.

It always seems that when the Patriots need a play, Brady delivers. That trumps any stat that anyone can display.

It always seems that when the Patriots need a play, Brady delivers. That trumps any stat that anyone can display.
    I just can't put much faith in the "feel goods" about Brady. If you ask me, nothing trumps stats. This game is won and lost in numbers, from the field to the scoreboard, numbers make the world go round. And Brady's numbers are good, but not of the deity status that the media has annointed him with.

Alright....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Saints
    Did anybody notice that the Saints WON this game?!?!
    Yea, me neither.
    Watching the NFL Live highlights, I thought the same thing. They showed all Patriot highlights, and then ended the segment saying, "The Saints would then go on to win the game." And I'm just thinking, how about showing that for the Saints fans to see, morons?

This is what impressed me last night about Brady. He throws a pick on his first attempt, then comes back the next series and connects on a beautiful bomb. It seemed like the pick didn't faze him one bit.
    I agree the pick didn't seem to phase him, but the bomb looked underthrown to me. Tim Dwight made a nice catch turning around and catching the ball behind him. In my opinion, Brady deserves credit for having his head in the game and making the right read, throwing to single coverage, but the throw needed some more "oomph."

The thing about Tom Brady, as I see it, is that he doesn't have elite physical attributes but is just a very smart player who is great in pressure situations. He doesn't have the best arm strength and isn't the most accurate passer, but he knows the offense quite well and knows where to go with his throws.

If you asked Tom Brady to do the kind of things Peyton Manning did, I don't think he could do it. But if you asked Manning to do what Brady does, I'm sure Manning wouldn't have a problem, because Manning combines the intellect and knowledge of the game with elite physical ability. It's a shame that he's had such a poor defense to hold the Colts back, but one could argue that it's Manning's own huge contract that works against the Colts making a legit effort to improve their team.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

SouthernCali Rams is offline Registered User

I agree with Joe Horn... he appeared to be into the game, its just preseason, who would?
    he dropped 2 passes that were really well thrown, the second one was intercepted when he was not bale to hang on to the ball... although i liked when Joe horn force the fumble.

it was nice to see floutie in there... he is such a likeable guy

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Personally, I don't think Brady is as good as Bulger, nor is he anywhere close to the superstar QB's of the 70's. Come on, if Terry Bradshaw was still 29, he could outperform Brady any day of the week. The ONLY reason Brady is getting the attention is because of the guys around him (and they are all just above average in my book) are able to act like a team and play well.
    One thing I did not like was seeing the NE defense. They were pulling feet, grabbing around the neck (I swear I saw a face mask on Conwell being tugged) and even if it was legal according to the NFL, It was pushing the limits. I also didn't like the way the penalties were called in the first half. I thought that NO was being penalized more than NE for the same infractions, but then again, I was only watching it on a 51" TV, so I didn't see the close-ups that the officials had.
    If I was on the NO sidelines, I would have publicly questioned a couple of calls according to what I saw on TV, but what do I know?
    10 to one that the pet team this year has Brady as a QB.

I can't wait until Super Bowl XL so I can watch Little sack Brady three or four times, and Atogwe strip the ball... And McGuinest trying to arm tackle and getting a fracture on the drive that wins the game for the Rams.

Oh, BTW, I'm in a bad mood and kinda bitter...can you tell?