Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

OL Robert Gallery joins Seahawks, but Matt Leinart says "No, thanks"

According to Adam Schefter...

Seattle reached agreement with former Raiders guard Robert Gallery on a three-year deal. Gallery and Tom Cable reunited.
    35 minutes ago via web
    However, the news of Leinart teaming back up with Pete Carroll was apparently premature...

Texans keep Matt Leinart
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 27, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT

In a surprise move, quarterback Matt Leinart has agreed to a deal to stay with the Houston Texans, a day after reports circulated that Leinart would sign with the Seattle Seahawks.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that Leinart wanted to sign with a team that would give him a chance to start, and the Texans are definitely not that as long as Matt Schaub is around. But Leinart apparently concluded after the Seahawks agreed to a deal with Tarvaris Jackson that he wouldnít be able to start in Seattle, either.

It says a lot about how far Leinart has fallen that for the second straight year, he has signed in Houston even though he knows he canít start in Houston, just because he canít start anywhere else, either. But Texans coach Gary Kubiak wanted Leinart back, and now heíll have him.

In Houston, Leinart will compete with Dan Orlovsky and rookie T.J. Yates for the right to back up Schaub.

Re: OL Robert Gallery joins Seahawks, but Matt Leinart says "No, thanks"

I think the Gallery signing is a great one for the Seahawks. They've not found a solution at the position since Steve Hutchinson left as a free agent, so this is a step in the right direction for them.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think the Gallery signing is a great one for the Seahawks. They've not found a solution at the position since Steve Hutchinson left as a free agent, so this is a step in the right direction for them.
    Hmmmm....I think a lot of my Raider friends would chuckle over that. For them, Gallery was a bust at worst & their version of Goldberg at best.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Hmmmm....I think a lot of my Raider friends would chuckle over that. For them, Gallery was a bust at worst & their version of Goldberg at best.
    To the Raiders, I'm sure Gallery is a definite bust.

But I doubt the Hawks paid him #2 overall money.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Gallery has been spotty over the years, giving up a lot of sacks, although once he was moved from tackle to guard, he settled into some consistency. That said, he's never been anything but servicable at best. He's always struggled with pass protection and IMO, our DL will eat him up.

As far as Leinart, he was overrated from the start and will never be more than a journeyman backup. He does have the hot tub/beer bong thing nailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    In terms of being drafted second overall to be a left tackle, absolutely. But my impression is that his move to guard has helped him become a solid player at this point in his career. After what Seattle's OL went through last year, simply showing up and being solid will be a big upgrade.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Leinart play for Pete Carroll at USC? If so, something very strange is going on here. Leinart doesn't think he could beat out Tavaris Jackson? Talk about a lack of confidence or is it something else?