Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

It was only a matter of time, Eagle fans

Owens: 'I can't do right and I can't do wrong'
    Monday, April 11, 2005
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Terrell Owens, chagrined by some of the characterizations of him over the past week, denied on Monday night he switched agents to improve his financial status, but was as elusive in discussing his contract as he is in dodging NFL cornerbacks.

The Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver also insisted his goal is to win a Super Bowl title with his current team, but found time to take a not particularly veiled swipe at Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, with the talkative wide receiver noting at one point that he "wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl."

What Owens apparently has grown weary of, it seems, are what he perceives as portrayals of him being selfish and opportunistic.

"As always, there is a lot being written and [reported] without anyone talking to me," Owens said. "I mean, I can't do right and I can't do wrong. It's getting, in some ways, like it was for me in San Francisco. But the one thing that won't change is that I'm going to show up to play and to win. No one can ever [debate] that."

Whether Owens is seeking a change in his contract -- after just one season under the seven-year, $48.97 million deal he signed with the Eagles as part of a three-team trade that landed him in Philadelphia last spring -- remains unknown. ESPN.com first reported last Tuesday that Owens had retained high-profile agent Drew Rosenhaus, arguably the NFL's top dealmaker, perhaps in an effort to upgrade his contract.

Rosenhaus met briefly last Wednesday in Philadelphia with Eagles team president Joe Banner. Neither man divulged details of their conversation but it should be noted that Rosenhaus typically huddles with team officials when he takes on a new client.

League sources have said that the Eagles will not renegotiate Owens' contract at this time but might, at some point, consider restructuring the deal to redistribute monies due in the next few years. At least under current ownership, Philadelphia has never made dramatic changes to a contract with so many years remaining on it.

On Monday, asked pointedly and repeatedly about his reasons for retaining Rosenhaus, and about his possible designs on a new deal, Owens declined to comment in detail. Rosenhaus also declined comment.

"We'll just have to see what happens," Owens said.

Club officials might have to adopt the same wait-and-see approach when it comes to Owens' attendance at offseason workouts. The nine-year veteran was non-committal when asked about spring and summer practices, at one point questioning the difference between voluntary and mandatory workouts, but was adamant that coach Andy Reid knows exactly what kind of shape Owens will be in for his second season with the team.

"No one can ever accuse me of not being in great shape," said Owens, who is likely to skip offseason sessions and perhaps even the start of training camp. "Andy knows that. My teammates know that, when I show up, I'm ready to go. The biggest concern should be winning a Super Bowl. That's what I show up to do. I've never been out of shape. I mean, this is my [livelihood]."

The five-time Pro Bowl performer acknowledged he was particularly riled by a recent broadcast report that he was late for at least one team meeting in the week preceding Super Bowl XXXIX. He questioned both the motivation and timing of the report and denied its validity. Owens said that, were it true, Reid probably would not have allowed him to play in the championship game.

Eagles officials could not be reached late Monday night to comment on Owens' account of his attendance during Super Bowl week.

For the title matchup, Owens made a comeback some considered miraculous, playing nearly the entire contest only 6 weeks after sustaining a broken right ankle in a Dec. 19 outing against the Dallas Cowboys. Owens caught nine passes for 122 yards in the Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots.

"There are a lot of people who said that me playing in that game was an inspiration to them," Owens said. "Hey, the only person I was trying to inspire was myself. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. But why did I want to do it? To win a Super Bowl for the team, for the fans, for the city. I did everything they asked me to do. I played every snap they allowed me to play. I wasn't even running until, like, two weeks before the game. But I made sure I was in the best shape possible. I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl."

Asked to whom he was referring, Owens laughed, then changed the subject. It has been widely reported that McNabb was either ill or fatigued late in Super Bowl XXXIX. The star quarterback has denied either was the case.

Owens, 31, said his rehabilitation continues, his leg feels "great" and he is "really looking forward" to the 2005 season.

Owens registered 77 receptions for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns in 14 games before suffering the broken ankle in his first season with the Eagles.

Owens said he remains close with former agent David Joseph, who represented him his entire career, and who helped extricate him from the *****. Joseph negotiated the current contract with the Eagles.

The contract included a $10.3 million signing bonus. Over the first three years of the deal, it makes Owens one of the highest paid wide receivers in league history. Owens is scheduled to earn a base salary of $3.25 million for 2005.

Owens said he and Joseph spoke at length about the split and conceded it was painful, and added that he also spoke with Reid to explain his reasons for new representation.

"It's like I told Andy, I wasn't out there looking all over the place for a new agent, but it just happened," Owens said. "It was a business decision, that's all, and it was a decision I felt like I wanted to make. I guess it would be like a couple that's been married for a long time and then, all of a sudden, getting divorced. But me and Dave, we're still very strong friends. Our business [arrangement] has changed, [but] our personal relationship hasn't.

"That's the truth. But I know that, when it comes to me, people are going to believe what they want to believe, you know?"

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: It was only a matter of time, Eagle fans

What Owens apparently has grown weary of, it seems, are what he perceives as portrayals of him being selfish and opportunistic.
    Confuscious say: One who doesn't want to be perceived as selfish and opportunistic SHOULD STOP BEING SELFISH AND OPPORTUNISTIC!!!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Eagles president Joe Banner repeated his same song: that he and Drew Rosenhaus, Terrell Owens' new agent, had a short meeting that was "professional, but not with a whole lot of substance. Banner will have to act soon. Because if he lets this go to a training-camp holdout risk the Eagles run is of significant ugliness and a major distraction. Owens has now made that clear by dragging quarterback Donovan McNabb into the picture. Owens was quoted as saying: "I made sure I was in the best shape possible. I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl."
    -- Philadelphia Daily News

An Eagles source indicated that management is taking Owens' remark as an attempt at humor.

McNabb's agent Fletcher Smith said, "Donovan's had worse things said about him than that. This isn't going to affect him adversely one way or the other." Smith said McNabb "doesn't know the context" and "would rather talk to T.O. about it" before commenting publicly. Smith said he didn't think McNabb planned to call Owens, but he expected they'd discuss it "when they see each other, when it comes up."

Corey Simon would neither confirm nor deny a report that his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, had asked the Eagles to remove the franchise tag the team placed on the defensive tackle a few days after its Super Bowl loss to New England. Simon, has often said he wants to continue his career in Philadelphia. Now, he's not so sure. "It is my desire to play in Philadelphia, but I don't think there has been any interest on the Eagles' part to sign me to a long-term contract," Simon said. "I don't know if they have any desire to have me around."
    -- Philadelphia Inquirer

There is no indication the Eagles are willing to release Simon. Barnes said last night that Simon will not sign the 1-year franchise tender (which would pay him about $5.13 million this season), and therefore will not attend minicamps and will not attend training camp. "The ball is in the Eagles' court," Barnes said. Barnes said no decision has been made on whether Simon would be willing to sit out the season rather than sign the tender.

Eagles running back Brian Westbrook still has not signed the $1.43 million offer sheet the Eagles gave him as a restricted free agent. It does not appear as if the team's top running back is going to receive any offers from other teams, which means he will have no other option but to sign the offer sheet. The deadline for other teams to make an offer is Friday.
    -- Philadelphia Inquirer

It seems very likely wide receiver Freddie Mitchell's situation will be resolved with a release or trade before that April 29 start of the first minicamp. Giving FredEx another media forum for his complaints, while so much other discord swirls, isn't something the Eagles want to do.

It isn't easy to stand out as a disgruntled Eagle these days. "What can you do?" Hollis Thomas asked plaintively yesterday. His attempts to get his contract restructured have pretty much been forgotten lately, as so many of his higher-profile teammates have made their displeasure known. If a 31-year-old, 306-pound defensive tackle doesn't show for minicamp and nobody notices, does he make a sound?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Confuscious say: One who doesn't want to be perceived as selfish and opportunistic SHOULD STOP BEING SELFISH AND OPPORTUNISTIC!!!
    Right on there hub... I really can't stand that T.O.!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!