Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Owens Trashes McNabb In New Book

Jason Rosenhaus.

And not shockingly, Owens spends much of book trashing former teammate McNabb and blaming McNabb for the fallout between the two stars that led to Owens' exile from Philadelphia.

In the book, Owens paints McNabb as a hypocrite, a weak leader and someone who was jealous of Owens and blocked Owens' return to the Eagles after a four-game suspension.

And Owens paints himself as a heroic but sometimes flawed figure who was wronged by McNabb, arbitrator Richard Bloch, coach Andy Reid and the Eagles.

"I accept that I played a role in tearing apart the Eagles season, but the blame was not all mine," Owens said.

But Owens puts most of the blame on McNabb.

Owens' public criticisms of McNabb last fall directly led to the end of the All-Pro receiver's career in Philadelphia.

Giants Game Was Beginning Of Feud

In the book, Owens says it was one play in a game in a 27-6 win over the New York Giants in November 2004 that upset Owens and convinced him that McNabb was jealous.

"I couldn't believe it," Owens said about a pass play where McNabb decided not to throw him the ball. "Donovan had time to get the ball to me. Donovan ignored me, he ignored Coach Reid's design."

Owens said he returned to the huddle and ask McNabb about the play, and McNabb responded with an obscenity to Owens in front of teammates.

In his opinion, Owens then knew McNabb was deeply jealous of his popularity in Philadelphia.

"I was getting so much of the Philadelphia glory that used to be his," Owens said.

Owens then said he got into a confrontation with McNabb after the Giants game in the Meadowlands locker room and running back Dorsey Levens broke up the two men.

"Donovan was never the same with me again; things were only going to get worse," Owens added.

Owens Compares Himself To Willis Reed

Owens also claims that McNabb downplayed his role on the team after that and blames McNabb for turnovers that led to the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots.

He also compares his Super Bowl performance with the legendary performance of Knicks star Willis Reed, who helped his team win a title playing on one leg.

Owens also said it was his financial advisor who inspired to get try to redo his Eagles deal.

"I wanted to send a hungry, aggressive agent into the Eagles' nest," said Owens, who hired Drew Rosenhaus.

Owens also talks about his locker room fight with former Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas and his soured relationship with Eagles head coach Andy Reid.

Owens also said he was deeply embarrassed that he was made to apologize about comments he made to a teen journalist about McNabb and the Eagles.

And that it was his decision to not include McNabb in that public apology for saying that Brett Favre was a better player.

"I knew at the time I would pay a big price for taking a stand."

Owens then claims that McNabb forced Reid to suspend Owens for the rest of the season by publicly saying the Eagles were better off without Owens after a loss to the Redskins.

And he also claims that the "majority" of Eagles players wanted him back on team, and that Reid made an effort to bring him back after Owens' suspension was announced.

But Owens believes McNabb forced Reid to drop that effort.

"McNabb viewed taking me back as an affront to his control of the team," Owens said.

Owens also said he was told by a team coach to careful around McNabb because the All-Pro quarterback got "nervous and tight" in big games.

A Costly Stand

Last year, Owens was suspended by the team for his conduct and the suspension was upheld by a league-appointed arbitrator Bloch.

Owens' antics, including the fight with Douglas and several media interviews that criticized McNabb, literally cost him millions in lost salary and bonus money.

The receiver also lifted weights for reporters last August in his front yard in Moorestown, N.J., after he was sent home from training camp for refusing to sign autographs for fans, including children, at a media event.

Owens was officially released this spring by the Eagles and he signed with the Dallas Cowboys, the Birds' bitter rivals.

Dallas and Philadelphia face off on October 8 in Philadelphia.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Owens Trashes McNabb In New Book

If karma actually exists, TO will come back in his next life as a one-legged dung beetle.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Who's to say he isn't right? How do we know Donovan isn't a horses butt in the huddle?

RamsFan16 Guest

Owens is a moron. Does he t hink people actually like him except for 'Boy fans?

I hate him.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Why is Owens a "moron"? Why wouldn't some people like the guy? Why do you hate him?

Or are you just making a comment based on a personal opinion? It was very well thought out!

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16

I hate him.

RamsFan16 Guest

Owens is a "moron" because he is a self centered you know what. I get sick of hearing if it was for me in what 2004? we wouldn't have made the superbowl. The fact is the Eagles won every playoff game without him and yet he thinks he helped em' with the playoffs. He has a big ego along with a big mouth and I hate listening to him talk and complain.

Why wouldn't some people like this guy? Because he is a big mouthed obscene jerk. and could care less about how other players feel, and would rather have the team know how he feels.

Why do I hate him? Read above. And yes its a personal opinion.

From everything said about T.O. in the locker room, this guy is a gamer. He's a stud WR. Is he a jerk? Yep. However, we've (well, us older people) have all worked with jerks in the past and as long as they get the job done fine...be a jerk. T.O. will take things over the top sometimes, I'll give you that. However, he wants to win.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Owens is arrogant, has no concept of discretion in his public statements, is a horrible teammate, is self-centered. I know this based upon that which I have seen myself.

Is he a physically gifted receiver? Of course.

Would I want him on my team? Not in a million years.

Is he the Dennis Rodman of the NFL? That may even be a slur at Rodman due to the fact Rodman at least has won a bunch of rings.

Don't think I would want him on my team for a long term deal, but if my salary cap situation dictated to me that my team only has this year to win, I'd take a gamble on him.

brhokla Guest

Look, we had him and he was great till his ego got the best of him. That one catch against Greenbay in the playoffs with like 7 seconds left is what made TO a Head Case... He is a great player and plays hard but he is selfish and will tear a team apart..

KentuckyHawk Guest

I look forward to TO tangling with the Big Tuna. You know old Parcells definitely won't put up with any of that nonsense.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

TO may be considered the most arrogant, rude player ever, but the terrible thing about this is. We're feeding him. As soon as he left Philly, now the headlight is on Dallas. We give this guy ammunition to talk smack, and we allow it. People are going to buy his book, he'll get even more money. It's ridiculous he's a headcase, but not the damn Pope. I really don't care about this guy at all, I think the only reason why he gets any publicity is because he's smart, he's promoting himself to be an "a-hole", that is for sure, but he is marketing himself, he's being smart, and sales of the Owens jerseys sky rocketed for the Dallas jersey of his. So, I really think its our faults he got this way, we let him become this way..So in the end, we can all say we hate him, but he'll be the one laughing in the end with that ridiculous amount of money he has

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16

I hate him.
    How can you hate someone who you don't know, and have never even talked to?

Or are you holding out on us and didn't tell us that you two used to be friends. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    he wants to win
    I don't know the guy, so I won't make a personal judgement, except to say if his media personna is indicative of his true nature......I would probably block his phone calls if he were wanting to hang out.

My problem with him is, as Tx says, "he wants to win". In itself not a bad thing, but it seems his definition of winning is whatever is best for T.O. His desire to win (by his own definition) eclipses his desire to be a part of a winning team.

For that reason, I wouldn't sign him to even the vet minimum.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    How can you hate someone who you don't know, and have never even talked to?

Or are you holding out on us and didn't tell us that you two used to be friends. LOL
    Sure. Yea him and I were best friends, duh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast