View Poll Results: What should happen?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Favre deserves his unconditional release.

5 15.15%
  • Packers should bring back Favre as starter.

6 18.18%
  • Favre should come back as backup and wait for opportunity.

1 3.03%
  • Packers give conditional release for compensation and/or team selection.

6 18.18%
  • Favre should stay retired.

15 45.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bigredman is offline Registered User

Are the Packers being fair to Favre?

The Packers have told Favre that they will not give him his unconditional release and tell him if he wants to return to the team it will be as the back up.

What do you think of the Packer's handling of this situation? Yes, Favre has been annoying with his year after year I might retire, I might return and now his I'm definately retired, oops no I'm not routine. I also understand the desire and need to move on with building this team around Rodgers while the team still has good talent around to provide some success and confidence in its young quarterback.

In my opinion, to tell the most popular and productive quarterback in your franchise's history to take a clipboard and sit on the bench is insulting. Sure, it may be desirable to get something in exchange for letting Favre go to another team, and the Packers may be wanting to prevent Favre going to one their divisional rivals, but the guy has earned the right to go wherever he wants, unconditionally.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Packers being fair to Favre?

I'm with you man, You just don't do that to a man like Favre.. The buisness can really kill this sport sometimes

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

As heard on ESPN radio the Packers were set to have a press conference back in March to announce Favre was unretiring per Brett's request and then 2 days before said press conference he changed his mind again and decided to remain retired.

Now he wants to come back and the Packers (assumedly not trusting Brett to stand by his word) have decided they would rather keep him as a reserve rather than take the chance he might go to a division rival at worst or a NFC rival at best.

Then there is the monkey wrench that if he is traded to an AFC team that said AFC team could trade Brett to an NFC Central team?

No winners here (just whiners?).
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I voted for Favre to stay retired.

The Packers have been playing the see-saw game with Favre and have decided to move on based on his most recent retirement announcement.

Let's not forget that Favre has not been playing for the Packers for nothing. They have paid him very handsomely for his services.

It would be a total shame if Favre pushes the issue to the point where the relationship between Favre and the Packers organization is tarnished.

So again, I say Favre needs to let it go and remain retired.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Favre ultimately deserves his release (perhaps with conditions), but the Pack has every right to be concerned he could go to the Bears or Vikes. I don't see anything wrong with Green Bay not being in a hurry to grant Favre his release, especially with the way he's been wildly changing his mind, which he could easily do again.

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

Give him his release, it serves no real value on keeping him there. Trading him gets you what? No one is going to give away draft picks for an aging QB who might retire at any minute. Then if you bring him back & he beats out Rodgers for the starting job, you have another mess with a team that will be divided on who should be th QB.
    Not to mention how the salary cap gets affected if he comes back to the Packers, I believe he is under contract for 2 or 3 more years @ 39 mil. & looking @ that # tell me again how he will be the backup to Rodgers. He either starts or gets his release.
    And in my opinion its just a matter of time when he gets his release.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Favre ultimately deserves his release (perhaps with conditions), but the Pack has every right to be concerned he could go to the Bears or Vikes. I don't see anything wrong with Green Bay not being in a hurry to grant Favre his release, especially with the way he's been wildly changing his mind, which he could easily do again.

Mikie, Mikie, Mikie...what sense does that make? If they give Favre his release and Favre then changes his mind and stays retired...what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

You need to start drinking. You have no idea how brilliant I become after a couple of double martinis!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Mikie, Mikie, Mikie...what sense does that make? If they give Favre his release and Favre then changes his mind and stays retired...what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

You need to start drinking. You have no idea how brilliant I become after a couple of double martinis!!!!
    Start drinking? So I can be like you and edit/change my positions in my posts WHILE others are trying to respond!! Yeah, that's a good idea.

What's the rush to release him immediately? Maybe they can talk and come to some kind of agreement, maybe Favre changes his mind again and stays retired, maybe the Packers rethink their position on wanting him to be their starter. Who knows, but if they release him now, they're all out of options on a decision that will have lasting consequences and could create a lot of bad feeling. That's all I'm sayin' dude!

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Start drinking? So I can be like you and edit/change my positions in my posts WHILE others are trying to respond!! Yeah, that's a good idea.
    Works for me, don't it? (Shoooosh, you're giving away my secrets)

What's the rush to release him immediately? Maybe they can talk and come to some kind of agreement, maybe Favre changes his mind again and stays retired, maybe the Packers rethink their position on wanting him to be their starter. Who knows, but if they release him now, they're all out of options on a decision that will have lasting consequences and could create a lot of bad feeling. That's all I'm sayin' dude!
    Not a matter of rush, or protecting their interest in the division. I'm looking at it as a player. You give up your body and future health for the team, to win, for the game for years. You play at the upper echelon of players in the league. My point is that certain players DESERVE to get something back from the NFL. Give Favre his unconditional release. If he wants to play for the Vikings or the Bears and they kick your butt, then so be it. What could be more wonderful for the NFL?
    (Does your girlfriend know about St. Louis and our adjoining rooms?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not a matter of rush, or protecting their interest in the division. I'm looking at it as a player. You give up your body and future health for the team, to win, for the game for years. You play at the upper echelon of players in the league. My point is that certain players DESERVE to get something back from the NFL. Give Favre his unconditional release. If he wants to play for the Vikings or the Bears and they kick your butt, then so be it. What could be more wonderful for the NFL?
    Again my big red friend, this could end up very ugly or it could all be worked out. The Packers need to take the time to try and avoid a fire storm that might get way out of hand. There's a lot on the line here.

(Does your girlfriend know about St. Louis and our adjoining rooms?)
    Yep, and she can't wait.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -07-14-2008 at 10:56 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Release him. If they can get something for him, go for it. The Packers owe Brett nothing. ...and he deserves nothing in my opinion. He was paid millions for his services, what more does he deserve? He's a legend in his own mind and I think he's way too full of himself. Come on. His story is getting old. Hang 'em up Brett, you look like a fool.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Basically what is going on here is that a player finally has the upper hand (to an extent, anyway) when trying to deal with management.

Teams basically control most players lives throughout their career and now that a player seemingly has an owner by the short and curlies it sets the league and its fans on their proverbial ear and the NFL world gets its panties in a wad.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

While I do believe Favre has the right to un-retire, I don't believe the team has an obligation to let him go wherever he wants. If he really feels that he just has to come back for another season, he could at least agree not to sign with another NFC North team. Yes, Favre gave Green Bay a lot of good years, but the community has also supported him all these years as well. Signing with say the Bears could be a stab in the heart of the Cheesehead faithful.

Ultimately, Brett can try to ply whatever leverage he has by making this an embarrassing situation for the organization, but it really seems like it would be for the best if he'd just voluntarily drop it. Nobody wants to remember Favre whining to the media. Nobody wants to remember Favre at the end of his playing days, grasping at his former glory while wearing the colors of Kansas City or Oakland or anything other than that iconic no. 4 green and yellow jersey.

YodaRam Guest

I think that both Favre and the Packers share in the responsibility for this unfortunate and awkward situation. First of all, Favre needs an intervention, as it appears that "false retirement" is an addiction. He seems to hold the Packers organization hostage. Nobody can tell me that Brett is not fully aware of his fan following in Green Bay. So, effectively, he holds them hostage, as well. Shame on Favre for using his popularity in an attempt to gain leverage. I give Kudos to Brett for wanting to return. I'm just uneasy about how he's going about it.
    As far as Ted Thompson and the Packers front office. Well, i'm no fan of front offices in sports. Are Thompson's claims that Favre contacted him weeks after the retirement announcement, stating that he wanted to play again, only for Brett to change his mind once again just before Thompson would be flying out to Mississippi to finalize the details correct? According to Favre, that's not the whole truth. In the interview with Greta Van Susteren, Favre claims that the Packers organization is guilty of telling a lot of " half truths". I wouldn't be surprised. Regardless, this whole "circus" has to be creating a wedge that would exclude Favre from ever playing in Green Bay again.

The bottom line: The fans of Green Bay are forced to take sides. It's an ugly situation. All of this started with Favre's "false retirement addiction". I find it hard to believe that the organization didn't want Favre back after a successful 4,000 yard passing year. And a highly successful play-off run. Something stinks in the house of cheeseheads!

RAM ON!
    Last edited by YodaRam; -07-16-2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: 2 many cuss words. not.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I personally think if he's going to come back, he's going to have to come back as the backup to Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

Favre, no doubt, is the better player right now. But for how long? How much longer can he play? It seems the team has been equipping itself for the last the offseasons to be able to play well without Favre. I mean last year, all the pieces came into place and they had a magical season. But did Brett Favre really get better? Or is it that the rest of the team, independent of Favre, matured as players?

The Packers are not dependent on Favre, as they once were. When he went down last season for three quarters, Rodgers did pretty well for his fist significant game, no less, against the 18-1 Patriots. The players around Favre allowed him to return to form. He never "lost" it per se, to find it again. His team got better and therefore, so did his production. They're not the Colts.

There's no way they'll just release him to join another team. They might trade him to Tampa, of all places available. But otherwise; how fair is it to Rodgers, and to the rest of the team, that Favre should be able to come in, and start just because he says so? He's not Ted Thompson. And I think he thinks he is. He can't dictate what happens. At this point in time, he has to come back, he has to wait behind Rodgers, and if Rodgers cannot succeed, then he comes in, takes the reigns, and everyone else eats humble pie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast