New Orleans Saints special teams captain Steve Gleason expects to be fined by the league after being ejected from Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers for throwing a punch.
Gleason was tossed with 1:26 left in the first half after punching Panthers defensive end Kemp Rasmussen in his groin at the end of a kickoff return.

"There was really no justification for what I did," an embarrassed Gleason said Monday. "That's not my character, not the way I play the game. I'm humiliated."

Gleason was on his knees after the play and Rasmussen was standing in front of him. There was a slight pause and then Gleason threw the punch.

Gleason said he had never drawn a personal foul before, let alone been ejected.

"I should apologize to everyone," Gleason said. "My opponent, my team and my coach. I'm just sick about it."

NFL director of football operations Gene Washington is expected to review the incident.

(The Associated Press)

MORE SACKS ALLOWED: After allowing just 12 sacks in their first 10 games, the Panthers have surrendered eight in the last two games. With 20 for the season, they're currently tied for sixth in the league in sacks allowed.

That's likely to change, since they were tied with Seattle and one behind fifth-place Dallas (19) entering Monday night's game with Seattle.

The league average is 27.9 sacks allowed.

The franchise mark for fewest sacks allowed was 26, set last year. The current line is on pace to allow 26.7, meaning they still have a legitimate shot at the dubious record.

MORGAN MENDING: Coach John Fox seemed optimistic about the possible return of linebacker Dan Morgan.

Morgan was inactive Sunday for the third straight week because of a concussion. He practiced some last week but was replaced in the starting lineup by Vinny Ciurciu.

The (Rock Hill, S.C.) Herald