Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Patriots DL Richard Seymour traded to Oakland for 2011 first round pick

According to Adam Schefter's Twitter account, and confirmed by the Boston Globe.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Patriots DL Richard Seymour traded to Oakland for 2011 first round pick

Seymour is coming off a career high in sacks (tied) at 8 last year. However, he is turning 30 and in the last year of his contract. Next year may well be an uncapped year and clearly the patriots dont want to deal with the long term financial implications of having to pay a fortune to a guy who will be heading into the downside of his career during that next contract.

This explains in material part why the patriots have been on top for so long. Better to trade a guy a year too soon than a year too late, especially when you get a #1 pick from oakland, which has a GREAT chance to be a top 10 pick or maybe even a top 5 pick.

Kudos to the patriots. Sheer desparation for Al Davis.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

yeah GC sums it up just about right...those damn Pats!!!

We should all keep in mind the pick is in 2011, not next year. According to the boston globe, the pats believe that the new collective bargaining agt, when done, will have a rookie salary cap, which would cause the value of the high picks to soar. No guarantee the raiders will stink in two years, but as long as the fossil is running the show, its a reasonable bet.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini is offline Registered User

HAHAH. Geez the Raiders keep screwing up.

I wouldn't have given up more than a third round pick...but that's just me.

He's 29 years old. Definitely not worth a 1st. So in 2011, the Patriots will pick 1st (Raiders) and 2nd (Pats). haha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

eldfan is offline Registered User

I would have not given a 1 round pick for a player 30 YOA but I do like the fact they are trying to get better even if it is for the short run.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I would have not given a 1 round pick for a player 30 YOA but I do like the fact they are trying to get better even if it is for the short run.
    I'm with you. Maybe you make that move if you're only a player or two away from a championship, but I don't think anyone is mistaking Oakland for a near-championship team at the moment. Seems odd, but as gc said, nicely played by the Pats.

According to SI's Peter King, Seymour isn't too happy about the move...

Five thoughts on the Seymour trade to Oakland for the Raiders' first-round pick in 2011:

1. In the last six drafts, here's where the Raiders have picked in the first round: 7, 4, 1, 7, 7, 2. If the trend continues, the Patriots will have no worse than the seventh pick in the 2011 draft. For a ninth-year defensive lineman who turns 30 in four weeks and who has missed eight games due to injury in the last two years ... well, let's just say Seymour would have to morph into Reggie White (who had 88 sacks after turning 30) to make this deal worth it for Al Davis and the Raiders.

2. Seymour, I'm told, is angry about the deal. He lives in Foxboro, has children he may have to relocate to new schools as the school year dawns and has to get acclimated to a new defense (and an awful team) a week before the opening game. "I would not be surprised if he doesn't report,'' a good friend of Seymour's told me Sunday. I would. Aside from not earning his 2009 salary of $3.7 million, Seymour wouldn't be able to be a free-agent if he doesn't play this year. As it stands now, his contract is up after this year, and if he plays well and stays healthy, he could hit the jackpot when next year's probable uncapped season plays out.

3. This is a deal for Davis to try to win now, obviously. But how many more desperation deals can one team make? Last year, it was $55 million for Javon Walker (who's been a total non-factor), $72 million plus two draft choices for DeAngelo Hall (cut midway through his first Raider year), $39 million for Gibril Wilson (cut after one year), and $50.5 million for Tommy Kelly (a starting defensive tackle still). This offseason, the Raiders made Shane Lechler the highest-paid punter in history, more than doubling the previous record, and gave cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha more guaranteed money than Tom Brady or Peyton Manning in their current deals. As crazy as all that is, you know that Seymour will want to get out of Oakland if he can make big money anywhere else, so the Raiders almost have to try to sign him long-term to avoid the embarrassment of him being one-and-done in Oakland.

4. For New England, it simply reinforces that Bill Belichick will keep you as long as you're worth keeping, and when he's done with you, or when you can be of no more value to him, you're gone. With second-round defensive tackle Ron Brace and sixth-round DT Myron Pryor both showing well in the preseason, and knowing the Patriots weren't going to pay a 30-year-old defensive lineman the $9-million-a-year in free agency some team certainly would have if he had a productive 2009, the decision couldn't have been a painful one for Belichick.

5. Defensive leaders lost in New England in the last 12 months: Mike Vrabel and Seymour (traded), Tedy Bruschi and Rodney Harrison (retired), and Junior Seau (not re-signed). I can't think of a team that's lost as many cornerstone players and leaders in one year since I've been covering the league.

shower beers is offline Registered User

It's just ridiculous how they keep striking deals like this. It reminds me of madden in how outrageous these deals are. Once again, they'll more than likely pick in the top 10, and by that time, somehow accumulate 4-6 second round picks to go with it.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Undead Al never ceases to amaze me. With Tye Hill's 40 time, I'm surprised we weren't able to extract at least a 2nd rounder out of Oakland for him.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

The reason the Patriots keep making deals like this is the reason they're successful. Their front office is good. Really good. We can hate, but they know what they're doing, no doubt about it.

It doesn't hurt that they dealt with the dinosaur, Al Davis.

What's really funny about this is that, according to PFT, the Raiders have place Seymour on the "reserve/left club list". Read this story...

Report: Raiders place Seymour on reserve/left club list

Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2009 10:34 PM ET
    There's a report tonight from Michael Lombardi of NFL Network that the Oakland Raiders have placed defensive lineman Richard Seymour on the reserve/left club list.

The news comes amid reports that Seymour received a "five-day letter" from the Raiders on Thursday or Friday.

We're confused here because, as the league office explained the procedure to us, a player cannot be placed on the reserve/left club list until after the five-day period encompassed by the coincidentally-named five-day letter has expired.

If/when Seymour is placed on the reserve/left club list, he cannot play again in 2009, for anyone.

Also, we continue to have doubts as to whether the trade is truly official, given that (as a very good source has told us) the trade specifically hinges on Seymour reporting and passing a physical. That said, the mere sending of the five-day letter constitutes evidence that the Raiders regard Seymour to be their property.

Bottom line? Regardless of the precise state of affairs at the present time, the Raiders have bungled this situation by not including specific language that would have automatically scuttled the deal if Seymour didn't report by a specific date after the deal was done.

It also might have been a good idea to get a feel for whether Seymour was willing to trade the gold standard in NFL franchises for the Black Hole before boxing up that 2011 first-round pick and shipping it to Foxborough.
    Is this the funniest thing you've read this year, or what? The Raiders continue to set new standards in stupidity and ineptness.

...and I LOVE it.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

I read that if seymour wont report, al davis is bringing back both Ben Davidson and The Stork to help with the pass rush.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    The reason the Patriots keep making deals like this is the reason they're successful. Their front office is good. Really good. We can hate, but they know what they're doing, no doubt about it.

It doesn't hurt that they dealt with the dinosaur, Al Davis.

What's really funny about this is that, according to PFT, the Raiders have place Seymour on the "reserve/left club list". Read this story...

Is this the funniest thing you've read this year, or what? The Raiders continue to set new standards in stupidity and ineptness.

...and I LOVE it.
    Truly hilarious although I'd take anything former employee Lombardi says about The Raiders with a grain of bitter salt.

It does explain that weird popping/crackling noise I've been hearing from my window; it faces the SF Bay looking towards Oakland. I thought it was gunfire but it may be blood vessels popping in the heads of thousands of tiny Raider fan skulls.

The good news ,from a humanitarian standpoint, is that few of them have much brain function,anyway.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Well, Seymour looked pretty good on Monday night without even a full day's practice under his belt. Still, I think the Raiders messed up, regarding their long-term future, with this decision.