bigredman is offline Registered User

Patriots/Green Bay Bad sportsmanship?

A lot of criticism is being thrown the Patriot's way for their running up the score on teams that are clearly no threat to come back on them. I disagree. I love it. I totally agree with Brady when he says that they are out for blood, and their goal is to crush the competition. While I can't teach that attitude in youth sports, nor do I think teams should run up scores in high school or college sports, it is totally appropriate at the professional level.

As for the bounty issue with Green Bay, again, it is professional sport. The so called "bounty" was not to take out a player or injure them, but simply a fun activity within the team to spice things up. I don't believe it was to inspire and psych up the players. It's a form of gambling among players that has been happening since the NFL has been around. If it is discovered that the coaching staff was involved, I agree that must be stopped. If you remember, the NFL came down on Vermeil one year for giving a bottle of wine to a player for his performance on the field. While it seems petty, it can be a slippery slope to the abuses that the whiner management did to circumvent the salary cap to gain a competitive edge over other teams in the league.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Re: Patriots/Green Bay Bad sportsmanship?

I could not agree more, BRM.

While I don't like being on the receiving end of a lopsided score I do not hold any animosity against a team which continues to score after a game is in hand.

There are players striving to achieve goals (incentives?) and coaches trying to see how plays work in game conditions.

Players get paid according to performance in that contract negotiations are often influenced by stats regardless of how they hide or inflate what happens during a game.

This and if a player lets up they seem to expose themselves to injury, whether this is a real or imagined remains to be verified.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I have mixed feelings on this but it seems the Patriots take things to the extreme, like going for it on 4th down despite a huge lead. That IMO is uncalled for, as is pushing people aside, ingoring them or mocking them after a game. There is an understood code of ethics in the NFL which is a good thing, yet Belichick and the Patriots act as if they're above it.

The code you refer to is something that was legislated into the NFL by Commissioner Rozelle. He took the nastiness out of football (the head slap, hit away from the play or out of bounds, pile on, etc.) I loved it back in the day when players actually hated the guys on the other team. There was none of this get in a circle praying together or glad slapping each other after the game. Now you got a bunch of millionaires treating the game as a job..."it's just business". BS I say. Football was invented so guys could beat the hell out of each other and fulfill the publics lust for modern day gladiators. Does the Patriot's running up scores and turning away during hand shake time rile the other teams? I hope so. Someone needs to put a good whooping on the Patriots and give their coach a fist pump from the sideline and walk off the field. I don't want politeness in my NFL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Well you can think the coach of the Pats
    For that in instilling that in the team. :x
    August Back to School!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think Green Bay today and the Pat's in general are a perfect contrast in what class is. Green Bay had the game in hand and toned down the offense and started running out the clock. The didn't completely abandon their gamepland and took a couple of shots on 3rd down. They handily won the game and their dominance was evident.

New England chooses to go for TD's on 4th down multiple times against a hapless team that had no chance of winning the game. It reminds me of those Div IA college teams that schedule cupcake opponents and just demolish them to make themselves feel good about themselves.

New England won't make it to the Super Bowl this year. Dallas and Indy are the only real teams they've faced so far and both of them were 1) shorthanded on offense 2)showed that a good D can get to Brady and 3)New England won't be able to just coast into the playoffs.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this but it seems the Patriots take things to the extreme, like going for it on 4th down despite a huge lead. That IMO is uncalled for, as is pushing people aside, ingoring them or mocking them after a game. There is an understood code of ethics in the NFL which is a good thing, yet Belichick and the Patriots act as if they're above it.
    I'm with you r8rh8rmike on this running up the score issue.

Let me describe 2 scenarios (Factual)

Week 8 vs Redskins
    The score is 38-0 Patriots lead.
    With 11:02 left in the game. 4th and 1 at the Redskins 7. Tom Brady sneaks for a 1st down. 3 plays later Brady throws a TD pass to make it 45-0. Now I wouldn't have a problem with this if the Pats had their backups on the field because they need the REAL game experience. Bottom line? Pats should have went for the FG with the starters still on the field.

Week 11 vs Bills
    The score is 42-10 Patriots lead.
    With 1:09 left in the 3rd quarter. 4th and 1 at the Bills 10. Brady passes to Moss for a 1st down. 2 plays later Patriots score a TD to make it 49-10. Same as above. Backups okay, starters no way.

I really hope this backfires on Brady and Belicheat!!!!! I will be rolling around on the floor in a fit of laughter if Brady gets hurt during one of these running up the score situations.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    The code you refer to is something that was legislated into the NFL by Commissioner Rozelle.
    The code of ethics I'm talking about is not legislated, it's understood between the teams in the league. The Patriots certainly have the option to ignore that code, but what goes around comes around.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

I believe there is something different at play with Belichick. I believe he wants this team to be regarded as the most dominant in the history of the NFL. If his team can go 16 and 0, and have huge margins and break all sorts of records, and win the SUper Bowl, there would be no debate.

Because the gulf in talent between the NFC and the AFC is so large, right now, I see nothing stopping the Pats except maybe an off day against Tony Dungy and the Colts.

I only pray that the Cowboys don't get in the Super Bowl, I couldn't root for anybody, then.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater View Post
    I believe there is something different at play with Belichick. I believe he wants this team to be regarded as the most dominant in the history of the NFL. If his team can go 16 and 0, and have huge margins and break all sorts of records, and win the SUper Bowl, there would be no debate.
    Exactly buddy. Don't anyone believe for a second when you hear these Patriot players say they don't care about going 16-0. They not only want to go 16-0, but want to dominate teams while doing it. Annihilate them. Embarrass them. Put their heal on the back of their heads and grind their face into the frozen tundra of football lore.

I love it. God help me, I love that attitude. To think otherwise would be.....well.....succumbing to Sissy Marrydom!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    ]I love it. God help me, I love that attitude. To think otherwise would be.....well.....succumbing to Sissy Marrydom!
    Vince Lombardi would never pull the crap that Belichck is. He was tough as nails but all class. Are you calling him a sissy marry??!

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Billycheat: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?
    Peyton: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.
    Billycheat: Wrong! Brady! What is best in life?
    Brady: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
    Billycheat: That is good! That is good.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!