FOXBORO, Mass. (AP) -- New England coach Bill Belichick rested his regulars and Jacksonville routed the remaining Patriots.

The Jaguars beat the Super Bowl champs 31-0 Thursday night behind three touchdown passes from Quinn Gray and one from David Garrard, all in the fourth quarter.

But starting quarterback Byron Leftwich was disappointed he didn't face the Patriots' first-stringers in the exhibition finale for both teams.

"You want to compete against those guys, because when you leave the game you will be better," Leftwich said. But, he added, "you understand because they've got a game in a week."

The regulars played an unusually long time in last Saturday's 20-17 loss at Carolina and open the season next Thursday night at home against Indianapolis, while other teams start next weekend.

"Any time you have the Colts coming to town, it's not a bad thing to get some rest," said Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour.

None of the 22 offensive and defensive first-stringers played, but the Patriots (1-3) trailed just 3-0 after three quarters.

The Jaguars (3-1) ended the exhibition season without a touchdown from their first-string offense, but coach Jack Del Rio wasn't worried.

"I'm not really concerned," he said. "You would like to be a little more explosive in these preseason games, but overall I think we're going to have a good offense."

Leftwich played just three series, going 4-for-8 for 24 yards. Starting running back Fred Taylor, who had a strained foot, didn't play.

With Tom Brady charting plays on a clipboard, Rohan Davey played all but the Patriots' final series. The offensive player of the year in NFL Europe went 13-for-25 for 104 yards and two interceptions, but Belichick praised him.

"Rohan did some good things," Belichick said. "He managed the game well. I thought he made a couple good throws that we weren't able to come up with."

Kliff Kingsbury finished up at quarterback

"I loved" playing so much, Davey said. "The only thing that could have been better would have been a win."

The Patriots lost their third straight game, the others 31-3 at Cincinnati and 20-17 at Carolina. They enter the regular season with a 15-game winning streak covering the last regular season and playoffs.

With Corey Dillon resting, Mike Cloud led New England rushers with 93 yards on 19 carries.

The Jaguars committed no turnovers, while the Patriots had five, and outgained New England 451 yards to 222.

"The two things I'm most excited about coming out of this preseason are turnovers and special teams," Del Rio said.

After a scoreless first half, the Jaguars took a 3-0 lead on Josh Scobee's 31-yard field goal midway through the third quarter.

"It's not up to me anymore," said Scobee, who had four field goals in the last two games while competing with Steve Christie for the placekicking job. "I feel good about how I finished the (last) couple games."

The Jaguars put the game away with four touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

Garrard threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Troy Edwards, then was replaced by Gray after going 16-for-26 for 190 yards. Gray, who spent most of last season on Jacksonville's practice squad, was 5-for-6 for 109 yards.

"He had a fantastic game," Del Rio said. "His timing with the receivers was outstanding."

He threw a 4-yard touchdown pass to Jermaine Lewis, a 12-yarder to Ernest Wilford and a 17-yarder to Cortez Hankton with 2:36 to play.

The last two touchdowns were set up by Jacksonville fumble recoveries.

"It got out of hand at the end," Belichick said."

Game notes
The Jaguars used 61 players, the Patriots just 41. ... Patrick Pass was the only Patriots receiver with three catches. He had three for minus-3 yards. ... The Jaguars had 28 points in their first 3˝ exhibition games and 31 in the last half. ... Going into the last four minutes of the first half, the deepest penetration for the Jaguars was the New England 45-yard line, and for the Patriots it was the Jacksonville 43. ... Wilford had six receptions, the only receiver in the game with more than three. ... The Jaguars open their season at Buffalo on Sept. 12.