Varg6 is offline Registered User

Patriots and Stallworth agree...

The Patriots continued their offseason spending spree, adding wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to their 2007 haul, a league source told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Top free agents

StallworthWide reciever Donte' Stallworth is No. 9 on ESPN.com's list of the top NFL free agents on the market. Story

Scouting report

Stallworth will sign a six-year contract. The deal is believed to be worth a little more that $30 million with close to $12 million guaranteed, the source told Smith.

Stallworth, who played last season in Philadelphia after being acquired from the New Orleans Saints, also was being courted by the Eagles, Dolphins and Titans.

Stallworth, 28, had 38 catches for 725 yards and five touchdowns for the Eagles in 2006. A first-round choice of the Saints in the 2002 draft, he has 233 career receptions for 3,516 yards and 28 touchdowns in 68 games, including 44 starts.

League and union officials are investigating a Philadelphia Inquirer report that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance-abuse program, sources from both parties told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Citing unnamed sources, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Monday that Stallworth is a participant in the league program, and that he could be subject to suspension if he suffered a repeat violation of its conditions. The newspaper also reported that a breach of the program's confidentiality agreement can warrant a league fine, and NFL and NFL Players Association officials began to seek out possible sources for the leak on Monday.

The Patriots have been busy this offseason, adding coveted linebacker Adalius Thomas, ranked No. 2 on ESPN.com's list of free agents, as well as Dolphins kick returner/receiver Wes Welker, tight end Kyle Brady and backup running back Sammy Morris.

Senior writer Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Len Pasquarelli contributed to this report.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Patriots and Stallworth agree...

What's hilarious is this is only slightly less than what Seattle gave Deion Branch. So basically the Pats traded Branch away and ended up spending that money on a lesser receiver. Bet Tom Brady is ecstatic.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What's hilarious is this is only slightly less than what Seattle gave Deion Branch. So basically the Pats traded Branch away and ended up spending that money on a lesser receiver. Bet Tom Brady is ecstatic.
    To them, I'm assuming they think he's an upgrade over everything they got anyway. And I'm sure Wes Welker will be their new Troy Brown so I guess it fits. They have much faith in Brady my friend. Although, I wouldn't have done it unless I didn't hear a word about the drug incident. That would've turned me off to this guy. I personally like the guy and I think he's a good addition for the time being. But for that price and 6 years, ehh, not so great.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

From ProFootballTalk...

Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that receiver Donte' Stallworth has agreed to terms with the Patriots. But, contrary to the report, the deal does not include $12 million in guaranteed money. And it is not a straight six-year deal.

Instead, a league source tells us that it's a one-year deal with an option for a second year, and then an option for four more years.

In year one, Stallworth gets $1 million to sign, a workout bonus of $300,000, a base salary of $700,000, and a $1.6 million roster bonus payable if he makes the 53-man roster at the start of the reason.

Stallworth also can earn up to $400,000 in incentives. He'll get $100,000 if he catches 70 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 75 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 80 passes, and $100,000 if he is on the Pro Bowl team.

A $6 million option bonus is due shortly before the start of the 2008 league year, but after the deadline for designating franchise players. This requires the team to either pick up the option, or to allow Stallworth to hit the market unfettered by the franchise tag.

In 2008, there's also a $2 million roster bonus due on the first day of the league year, a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus payable if he makes the season-opening 53-man roster.

In 2009, there's a $2 million option bonus, payable after the franchise tag deadline but before the start of the league year. If the option is exercised, the deal runs through 2012.

Also in 2009, Stallworth will receive a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus based on making the season-opening 53-man roster.

In 2010 through 2012, the deal has the same terms in each year: $500,000 workout bonus and $4 million salary.

In all, it's a one-year $3.6 million deal that can be worth up to $4 million, or a two-year, $14.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $15 million, or a three-year, $19.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $20 million.

The Pats can then add on additional years at $4.5 million each, with a maximum contract value of $33.5 million.

But the only truly guaranteed money is $1 million. Not $12 million.
    Interesting structure, makes quite a bit more sense now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

itsguud is offline Registered User

I love this signing. He will fit in nicely with the Pats.... damn they are going to have some team this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    From ProFootballTalk...

Interesting structure, makes quite a bit more sense now.
    Nick,

The way I heard it hear locally was that the Pats have Stallworth on a short leash. If he acts up or relapses at all they can opt out of the deal in year 1.