Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Pats' Seymour calls out quiet fans

Seymour gives fans an earful
    By Michael Felger
    Monday, December 5, 2005 - Updated: 07:29 AM EST

FOXBORO — Richard Seymour ripped into the quiet Gillette Stadium crowd yesterday, saying the Foxboro faithful were “spoiled” and that they made more noise for a visiting Victoria’s Secret model than the three-time Super Bowl champions.

“It’s really disappointing,” said Seymour following the Patriots’ 16-3 victory over the Jets. “The loudest they ever got was when there was a Victoria’s Secret model (Gisele Bundchen) on the scoreboard. They don’t know when to cheer. You look up and you see half of the stands empty.”

Seymour offered the remarks without being asked, indicating a level of frustration that went beyond the words. Several times during the game, the defensive lineman could be seen exhorting the crowd, only to be greeted by relative silence.

Seymour’s complaint has been echoed by other Patriots players over the last few years, as the open ends of Gillette and the close proximity of the club-level seats (where many fans opt to stay inside) have conspired to give the Pats one of the worst home-field advantages — in terms of crowd noise — in the NFL.

There was one occasion during the 2003 season when a game against Tennessee coincided with a Red Sox playoff game. That led to a weird happenstance where the crowd erupted just after a Steve McNair touchdown run (at the same moment, David Ortiz had doubled in the winning run).

“They all should have been at the baseball game then,” said Seymour, recalling the story.

“Coming from Arrowhead (Stadium in Kansas City) last week, it’s obvious how important the 12th man is,” added Seymour. “That stadium is probably the loudest in the league. So to come from that to this . . .”

When asked why the Gillette fans were so quiet, Seymour said: “They’re spoiled.”

Linebacker Rosevelt Colvin took a more diplomatic approach.

“They pay to see us,” he said, “So they have the right to do what they want.”

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Pats' Seymour calls out quiet fans

When asked why the Gillette fans were so quiet, Seymour said: “They’re spoiled.”
    If he thinks Gillette is bad, he should come down to the Ed. This place is part graveyard, part library.

I'll never understand this phenomenon. It's not like this state doesn't understand football....the aforementioned Arrowhead and their Richtor scale pounding crowd is only a couple of hours down the road. Why does St. Louis fans (present company excluded) not get it? The same fans that blow up Busch stadium every summer night can't even raise it above a whisper on winter Sundays..........I'll never understand it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Pats and Sox is offline Registered User

We've been discussing this on PatriotsPlanet. Part of the problem is brought upon the team by the organization. Since moving from Foxboro Stadium (which was a horrendous dump) to The Razor (state of the art), the Patriots have tried to create a family-friendly atmosphere at the games. I can hardly fault them for wanting a family of four, which probably just dropped about $500 on seats, parking, food, and maybe a couple foam fingers, to enjoy their experience. But they went into overkill mode, climaxing with their revocation of longtime season tickets from a company because one of their guests (an older gentleman with bladder problems) mistakenly entered the ladies room. Ever since then, a lot of fans have been reluctant to be as boisterous as before, for fear of upsetting the ever growing white-collar element at the games (as much as those tickets cost, soon only the uber-rich will be able to afford them). Blue collar fan tries to be as loud as possible when opponents are on third down, white collar fan eventually complains, blue collar fan loses his tickets. It's a damned shame.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Geez, that's a missed up deal you got there, P&S.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

gap Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pats and Sox
    We've been discussing this on PatriotsPlanet. Part of the problem is brought upon the team by the organization. Since moving from Foxboro Stadium (which was a horrendous dump) to The Razor (state of the art), the Patriots have tried to create a family-friendly atmosphere at the games. I can hardly fault them for wanting a family of four, which probably just dropped about $500 on seats, parking, food, and maybe a couple foam fingers, to enjoy their experience. But they went into overkill mode, climaxing with their revocation of longtime season tickets from a company because one of their guests (an older gentleman with bladder problems) mistakenly entered the ladies room. Ever since then, a lot of fans have been reluctant to be as boisterous as before, for fear of upsetting the ever growing white-collar element at the games (as much as those tickets cost, soon only the uber-rich will be able to afford them). Blue collar fan tries to be as loud as possible when opponents are on third down, white collar fan eventually complains, blue collar fan loses his tickets. It's a damned shame.
    Same thing happens at the Ed.

I remember being a little disappointed at the FA signings before the 1999 season. I was all prepared (when I lived in the St. Louis area) to pickup some Club PSLs over the endzone, for the cost of the transfer fee and the season tickets, from a guy that was sick of the losing. He is one of those guys that would tell me to settle down and be quiet all the time. Most real fans cannot afford to be in the dome because a large portion of the people who have PSLs have them for an investment. Us loud fans make it harder for them to rent/sell those seats to the "I want to be seen" crowd.

When I had managed to get some good lower bowl seats from Ms Jane (during the Christmas season when she was out of town), several people were threatening to have me thrown out because I was holding up a banner BETWEEN DOWNS. Sheees!!!

gap

Masspatsfan12 is offline Registered User

I agree, in some sections of the stadium you cant even drink a beer because of the quote un quote family atmosphere.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The solution is simple. They need to bring in the Coors Light Train. It did wonders for a quiet Gillette Stadium in that commercial.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

socalramfan is offline Registered User

I got it! We all need to start acting like raider fans. You know the fist fighting and throwing beers and every now and then we will shoot each other!