Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Petrino to resign

Falcons | Petrino to resign
    Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:05:53 -0800

ESPNews reports Atlanta Falcons head coach Bobby Petrino will resign as coach and is expected to coach at the University of Arkansas.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Petrino to resign

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Falcons | Petrino to resign
    Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:05:53 -0800

ESPNews reports Atlanta Falcons head coach Bobby Petrino will resign as coach and is expected to coach at the University of Arkansas.
    He looked like such a tragic, beaten down man through most of the Monday Night game. You could tell he was almost numb with despair at his situation. I really feel sorry for the guy and wish him well with whatever he moves on to.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What? The Razorbacks didn't want Linehan?

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What? The Razorbacks didn't want Linehan?
    maybe the Falcons will take him

yodachu Guest

It was a crap situation for Petrino, don't think any1 could have expeced this kind of a mess in Atlanta. On the other hand, DeAngelo Hall just ripped into him on SportsCenter last night. But I can't blame Petrino for leaving, he came into the league to coach an offense led by Mike Vick, instead he got a dysfunctional team led by Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, and Chris Redman.]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

But I can't blame Petrino for leaving, he came into the league to coach an offense led by Mike Vick, instead he got a dysfunctional team led by Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, and Chris Redman
    That poor guy never had a chance. Four different QBs (all 1st round pick btw.....just goes to show what a crap shoot the draft is) is no way to get through an NFL season.

I'd have a little more pity, but my current supply is pretty well tied up in our own hospital ward......er, I mean lockerroom.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Don't cry too much for Petrino. He signed a ten year extenstion at Louisville then bailed on them. Then, bails on the Falcons in the middle of the year.

With the Saban incident in Miami and now this in Atlanta, it's going to be very difficult for college coaches to even get an interview as an HC in the NFL.

yodachu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Don't cry too much for Petrino. He signed a ten year extenstion at Louisville then bailed on them. Then, bails on the Falcons in the middle of the year.

With the Saban incident in Miami and now this in Atlanta, it's going to be very difficult for college coaches to even get an interview as an HC in the NFL.
    If the Rams ever fire Linehan we could take a look at one just cuz whoever makes the decisions on coaches hasn't done well the past couple of times. Yeah, sure Martz took us to a super bowl and the playoffs, but those were the GSOT years. We weren't great under Martz, I looked at scores those years and they were like 56-35 and stuff. Not too good.

We weren't great under Martz, I looked at scores those years and they were like 56-35 and stuff. Not too good.
    Yea, winning by 3 touchdowns really got old. Glad we're not doing that anymore. Anywho.......

....back to Petrino. Who coaches against Mizzou in the Cotton Bowl. Surely, Petrino doesn't come in immediately, right?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

SFCRamFan Guest

They have an interim coach named Reggie Herring. He's their defensive coordinator. He will probably be auditioning for a job there or elsewhere. I hope that he does not succeed in his one game since I hope that Mizzou kicks their sow bellies back to Arkansas....

yodachu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yea, winning by 3 touchdowns really got old. Glad we're not doing that anymore. Anywho.......

....back to Petrino. Who coaches against Mizzou in the Cotton Bowl. Surely, Petrino doesn't come in immediately, right?
    That wasn't what I was saying I was just saying we weren't the best at defense, and we weren't the completest of teams. And no, Pertino won't be coaching.

What do you think the difference is? Some coaches are great in college, but don't make it in the pros (Spurrier, Schnellenberger, Al Groh, Butch Davis, Rich Brooks, Petrino, Saban). Others find success regardless of the level (Switzer, Johnson, Walsh).

So where in lies the difference?

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Definitely a bad move by Petrino. I have no doubt in my mind that he will never have another oppurtunity to coach in the NFL. Who would want a guy who bails on the team with 3 games to go?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    What do you think the difference is? Some coaches are great in college, but don't make it in the pros (Spurrier, Schnellenberger, Al Groh, Butch Davis, Rich Brooks, Petrino, Saban). Others find success regardless of the level (Switzer, Johnson, Walsh).

So where in lies the difference?
    I do believe it's in management of people. At the pro level, several things have to be taken into consideration oppossed to college like endorsements, huge differences in paychecks between players and trying to bring all in as a team, lack of the "suspended for one game due to team rule violation" card, and more importantly, trying to coach grown men who make more money than you and trying to have them listen.

In college, it's all about going to class (and in the Texas Longhorns case, going to the probation officer) and staying out of trouble and doing the rah rah win one for the team speech.

Quote Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
    That wasn't what I was saying I was just saying we weren't the best at defense, and we weren't the completest of teams. And no, Pertino won't be coaching.
    Name me a team outside of the Patriots that is "complete". No one. The Patriots are an abberation in the day and age of the salary cap. You usually are very good on one side of the ball and just good enough on the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast