Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Petrino to resign

I have very little respect for Bobby Petrino. I understand he was put in a horrible situation because of the Mike Vick incident, but high character people fight through those circumstances and try to make the best of it.

But this guy has a history of taking the "grass is always greener" approach. Petrino, who left Louisville after accepting a five-year offer from Atlanta, told the Falcons as recent as Monday night he was their man, then he turns around the following day and submits his resignation so he can accept the Arkansas job before his first NFL season is finished. As tx said, he signed a ten-year extension with Louisville in the summer of 2006, and then bolted to the NFL that January.

He has very little long-term loyalty when it comes to his positions; his longest stint at any school was the four years he spent in Louisville. If I were an athletic director, NFL GM, college recruit, I have absolutely no reason to believe this guy will be with his job in the next 2-3 years. I can't help but wonder how well Arkansas is going to recruit under him when prospects have no reason to trust his loyalty to the program, and we all know how big of a factor loyalty is in college football.

Petrino was dealt a bad hand during his first year and, by responding to it this way, really said a lot about himself IMO.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Petrino to resign

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have very little respect for Bobby Petrino. I understand he was put in a horrible situation because of the Mike Vick incident, but high character people fight through those circumstances and try to make the best of it.

But this guy has a history of taking the "grass is always greener" approach. Petrino, who left Louisville after accepting a five-year offer from Atlanta, told the Falcons as recent as Monday night he was their man, then he turns around the following day and submits his resignation so he can accept the Arkansas job before his first NFL season is finished. As tx said, he signed a ten-year extension with Louisville in the summer of 2006, and then bolted to the NFL that January.

He has very little long-term loyalty when it comes to his positions; his longest stint at any school was the four years he spent in Louisville. If I were an athletic director, NFL GM, college recruit, I have absolutely no reason to believe this guy will be with his job in the next 2-3 years. I can't help but wonder how well Arkansas is going to recruit under him when prospects have no reason to trust his loyalty to the program, and we all know how big of a factor loyalty is in college football.

Petrino was dealt a bad hand during his first year and, by responding to it this way, really said a lot about himself IMO.
    I agree, that's certainly not the type of guy I would ever hire to coach a team. To me his reactions are just pathetic. That would be like Linehan deciding in the middle of this season to just call it quits and go do something else because of the injuries, that's no way to handle problems, that's just the way a coward reacts by running away. When you're a HC in the NFL you damn well better fight to the bitter end (you're fired) or go out on top yourself (like say Cowher). Fleeing after less than a year because of problems is pathetic, there are only 32 HC positions in the NFL and if you get such a dream job you should fight every day to do your best, not run away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12