Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PFT.com: Bulger, Bruschi get worst of deals of '04

BULGER, BRUSCHI GET WORST DEALS OF '04

A league insider tells us that, in his opinion, the offseason contracts signed by Rams quarterback Marc Bulger and Pats linebacker Tedy Bruschi were the worst deals signed this year by NFL veterans.

Bulger's four-year, $19.1 million package in St. Louis (they guy's a quarterback, right?) is "a joke," the source said, explaining that some teams are using Bulger's contract as justification for lowballing players at other positions. Weeks after agent Tom Condon hit the motherlode with Peyton Manning's record-setting deal, Condon flat-out laid an egg with Bulger's contract.

Sure, Bulger got a $9 million bonus, which isn't out of line with the bonus money received by guys like Tom Brady in 2002 ($10 million), Brett Favre in 2001 ($10 million) and even Kurt Warner in 2000 ($11.5 million). But the market for top-tier quarterbacks supposedly had changed dramatically, with Peyton Manning's $38 million hijack bonus in Indy, Donovan McNabb's $20 million bonus in Philly, and Daunte Culpepper's $16 million bonus in Minny.

Though Bulger likely thinks/hopes/prays that two or three more solid years will result in a much bigger contract, he should look no farther than his own rise to prominence as proof positive that, in the NFL, the gig can come crashing down without warning, as it essentially did for Warner two years ago.

And, in Warner's defense, at least he got paid handsomely (relative to the market at the time) before the wheels came off. If Bulger disintegrates within the next year or two, that $9 million signing bonus will have to go a looong way for a guys who's still fairly young. (Plus, Bulger's contract doesn't have features like the $6 million option bonus the Rams paid Warner prior to 2003, in which he played only one game, or the $1.2 million option bonus they paid him this year -- for the privilege of cutting him three months later.)

As to Bruschi, his four-year, $8.1 million deal translates to a lower per-year average ($2.025 million) than the contracts signed by Carlos Emmons in New York ($3.3 million), Dhani Jones in Philly ($2.7 million), and Barrett Green in New York ($2.6 million). Bruschi arguably is a better player than each of those three.

So what happened? The problem, as the insider explained it, is that Bruschi acts as his own agent. Sure, he avoids the three-percent fee that he would have paid to an agent. But based on the comparable deals signed by Emmons and Jones and Green, an experienced agent likely could have gotten Bruschi a significantly higher after-fee net deal.

And although it seems that the Patriots generally have good intentions, they've got a salary cap to manage and their objective is (as it should be) to sign as many players as possible to manageable (i.e., below market) deals.

They'd be stupid if they gave money way, regardless of whether a guy has no agent. That's why (even though we've got concerns about the current structure of the system, which rewards the agent only for getting a guy the most money, not for placing him on a winning team) every player should have an experienced, competent agent that is committed to getting him the best deal.

Players play and agents . . . um . . . agent. In the midst of increasingly intense offseason workouts and conditioning programs, did Bruschi really have the time or the knowledge to do all the things that a good agent would have done to ensure that he maximized his contract? It's doubtful.

And, again, we're not saying the Pats screwed Bruschi. If anything, the kid screwed himself by trying to go it alone. We're not saying he should hire the Postons next time around (which in our view is an alternative worse than going it alone) and we're not saying that every player needs an agent in every circumstance (e.g., Pats corner Terrell Buckley, who signed a one-year deal for the veteran minimum).

The reality for Bruschi is that there likely won't be a next time around. At 31 years of age, Tedy likely just signed his last seven-figure contract.
    I've never really trusted these guys' "sources" but they do present some interesting ideas.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFT.com: Bulger, Bruschi get worst of deals of '04

I think Bulger's contract is fine. He gets a nice signing bonus, and the team retains the option to move in another direction in a couple of years without destroying their cap. Not sure why the writer thought that Bulger had the leverage to get a better contract. After all, the Rams could have just paid him $1.8 Million for this year to retain him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If Bulger disintegrates within the next year or two, that $9 million signing bonus will have to go a looong way for a guys who's still fairly young.
    Let's see, how far should a young man be able to stretch $9,000,000...hmm, I don't know, how about...a lifetime!
    And, again, we're not saying the Pats screwed Bruschi. If anything, the kid screwed himself by trying to go it alone.
    The guy is making over $2 million a year for the next 4 years to play football, and the writer thinks he got screwed!?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both Marc Bulger and Tedy Bruschi are grown men, right? Nobody forced them to sign the contract, right? Maybe, just maybe, these two men understand the value of signing cap friendly contracts that will assure their financial comfort while still managing to think of their respective team's needs. These guys try to be team players by not breaking the bank and PFT.com says they "got screwed". Un-freakin'-believable.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The author just does not get how the system works.

Look at Grant Wistrom and Adawale Ogunleye. Most would probably assert that Ogunleye is the better player, or at least Grant's equal. But, while Grant got a huge signing bonus and contract, Ogunleye is in limbo. The reason? Grant was an unrestricted free agent, while Ogunleye is restricted. As a result, Ogunleye has little or no leverage.

Bulger was in the same boat. He was a restricted free agent. Had he waited until he was a UFA (and played well in the meantime), he probably could have received a bigger contract. Instead, he decided to avoid the risk of injury (or poor play) and take the money that is available now.

To blame the agent for that is absurd. I would rather have an agent that helps clients make decisions that suit them, rather than the Poston type that convinces clients that they should hold out for the world.

We're not saying he should hire the Postons next time around (which in our view is an alternative worse than going it alone)
    Well, at least I agree with them there.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    To blame the agent for that is absurd. I would rather have an agent that helps clients make decisions that suit them, rather than the Poston type that convinces clients that they should hold out for the world.
    How true, how true. Actually I hope that every other team in the NFL swoops up as many Poston clients as possible. Their cap will be eaten up so quickly, we could pick up top-tier talent at reduced rates.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I think Bulger's contract is fine. He gets a nice signing bonus, and the team retains the option to move in another direction in a couple of years without destroying their cap.
    Compared to Manning or McNabb or Culpepper, the deal is pretty weak. Chances are though that's all the writer based this article off of. I think Bulger's deal is fine as well, especially considering nine million in bonus money.

ramfaninpgh is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Let's see, how far should a young man be able to stretch $9,000,000...hmm, I don't know, how about...a lifetime!

The guy is making over $2 million a year for the next 4 years to play football, and the writer thinks he got screwed!?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both Marc Bulger and Tedy Bruschi are grown men, right? Nobody forced them to sign the contract, right? Maybe, just maybe, these two men understand the value of signing cap friendly contracts that will assure their financial comfort while still managing to think of their respective team's needs. These guys try to be team players by not breaking the bank and PFT.com says they "got screwed". Un-freakin'-believable.
    Mark Bulger is from Pittsburgh, so I know a little about his background. The way he was raised and the type of young man he is, it's no suprise that he was happy with the deal he got. As long as he doesn't feel he was screwed, that's all that matters. He'll get along just fine on what he signed for. And depending on how well he plays, he'll get a better deal down the road. Contrary to what a lot of NFL players think, it is possible to live quite well on a salary similar to Bulger's. I wouldn't mind trying it.
    :angryram: RamFanInPgh

general counsel Guest

After the contract was signed, i remember reading an article in which the reporter asked bulger how the money would change his life. His reply was that he wanted to buy his parents a house and take care of the rest of his family. He went on to say something to the effect of "$20 still seems like a lot of money to me."

Nice that once in a blue moon a highly compensated athlete actually remains grounded despite his financial situation.

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    After the contract was signed, i remember reading an article in which the reporter asked bulger how the money would change his life. His reply was that he wanted to buy his parents a house and take care of the rest of his family. He went on to say something to the effect of "$20 still seems like a lot of money to me."

Nice that once in a blue moon a highly compensated athlete actually remains grounded despite his financial situation.

general counsel
    You've got to love a QB with his head on his shoulders. With all the primadonnas in the NFL, I can't think of anything more refreshing than to see an athlete that understands the concept of value. That's what you want in a leader, folks.

I agree with everything you guys said. It's refreshing to hear about players not fighting for larger contracts.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I tell you this much, even though I am still distraught over losing KW, it does make it a little easier knowing that MB is such a class act. I really, REALLY hope he takes care of business and earns that 9 million.

The contract seems appropriate considering what he has accomplished to date.