Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PFT: Holt unhappy in Jacksonville?

Torry Holt unhappy with playcalling in Jacksonville?
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 21, 2009 1:43 PM ET

In last dark days of the Scott Linehan era in St. Louis, wide receiver Torry Holt often voiced his displeasure about the team's play-calling; sometimes right to Linehan's face.

Holt has a new team this year in Jacksonville, but he's reportedly still not happy.

Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union tweeted Sunday night that Holt was "screaming about some [play] calls" Sunday as if he was talking to himself, but clearly loud enough for everyone to hear.

Wright credits multiple sources that Holt was on the "verge of going off" about the Jaguars struggles. Wright told PFT Monday that his sources believe Holt is too savvy to complain about the issues publicly. (Good for Holt. And the Jaguars. It does not appear that they are worried about him being a malcontent.)

With that said, it's clear there is already some frustration bubbling underneath the surface of Jacksonville's 0-2 start. The passing game has been inept, due to poor pass protection, some inaccurate David Garrard throws, drops, and a lack of quality receivers.

Holt was a franchise legend in St. Louis, but it's questionable whether he is in the position to gripe in Jacksonville. The 11-year pro has nine catches for 112 yards in two games -- not bad -- but he doesn't scare defenses any more. Holt didn't create a lot of separation on his routes in his Week One performance. (Haven't watched the Cardinals game yet.)

Two of Jacksonville's top four receivers Sunday won't play again with the team this season, so Holt is going to be relied upon heavily the rest of the way.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: PFT: Holt unhappy in Jacksonville?

Not surprising at all to me. Tory overvalued himself in free agency. The contending teams that needed receiver help (ie jets and giants) didnt want him. He has slowed quite a bit because of the knee and while still capable of being a solid possession receiver, is no longer an all pro caliber guy. There is no shame in that, he has had an amazing career, but i believe that he thought he was going to get a lot more money and attention than he did when he left the rams. We would have been better off letting go of Holt sooner (when he had some trade value) and holding onto Bruce an extra couple of years. Bruce is as good as holt at this point (and has been for a couple of years) and costs an awful less money.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Man although Holt is not the best WR out there anymore, I wish we still had him. He could further mentor Avery and Burton, and we all know how thin we are at the WR position.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    Man although Holt is not the best WR out there anymore, I wish we still had him. He could further mentor Avery and Burton, and we all know how thin we are at the WR position.

I respectfully disagree.

Torry's play making on the field may be missed but his mouth would have been more detrimental to our young receiving core. They need to step up and execute the system... not question it.

I don't think this was a big consideration for Spags but with hindsight 20/20 I think we are better in the long haul for severing ties.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Whatever happens with Holt for the rest of his Career..he will always be remembered as one of the great wideouts...just like when Rice left the Niners..he probably wont ever get great numbers again..but that shouldnt take away from the fact that he`s had a great career and should be inshrined in Canton not long after he becomes eligible.

Probably in the top 6 Rams wideouts of all time..(tho i didnt get to see them all due to my age..)

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rambunctious is correct. There is no evidence to suggest that Holt did any mentoring of any of the young Ram wide receivers last year and criticism of the coach is not a good example for anyone. An all time great ram receiver for sure, but the time had come, absent a decision to take a big big pay cut, which obviously wasnt going to happen.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I wish the Rams still had Holt. More to that end turn Holt into a clutch-3rd down reciever. With that kinda reciever on 3rd down because of his hands, other option open up, like slipping a TE in the void on 3rd and short, or a sling pass to Sjackson on 3rd & 5 and dare I say it a screen pass on 3rd and long???

An opponent just can't ignore or place an average CB on a T. Holt on 3rd down